Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to cut my working days

Options
  • 10-09-2013 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

hello boards members,

i have a predicament. basically i am currently working 5 days per week fulltime in an accounting firm doing basic administrative duties along with bits of accounting here and there and i am struggling to find time for anything else due to tiredness. i would love to work 3 days per week instead of the full 40 hours. i dont see any hope of my employer reducing my hours as my workload is heavy and the rest of the accounting team would suffer on the 2 days i am off. i have worked in my current job for almost 4 years now and the salary i am on is still 18 thousand so i have nothing to lose leaving the job here.
    now to what i wanted to enquire: in future when i am looking for a 3 day per week job, what are acceptable reasons to say why i only wish to work 3 days per week?? i dont wish to sound unmotivated but for the time being i would be interested in a 3 day week. also how hard are 3 day week jobs to come by?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

3-day week jobs are pretty rare, unless you can find someone who's looking to job-share.

As a first step, why don't you just try to look for another full time job that may not be so full on?

Another option would be to take on office temping thru agencies-depending on where you are based, there may be a volume of short term jobs. But the downside is that the income in unpredictable, and so are the days/hours.

(fwiw, I know that these junior-level office jobs can be tough: I had a very full on office-temping gig that turned into a six month contract, and put on six kg over six months just 'cos I was so tired when I got home. But I also know they're not all like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bianca_bianca

3-day week jobs are pretty rare, unless you can find someone who's looking to job-share.

As a first step, why don't you just try to look for another full time job that may not be so full on?

Another option would be to take on office temping thru agencies-depending on where you are based, there may be a volume of short term jobs. But the downside is that the income in unpredictable, and so are the days/hours.

(fwiw, I know that these junior-level office jobs can be tough: I had a very full on office-temping gig that turned into a six month contract, and put on six kg over six months just 'cos I was so tired when I got home. But I also know they're not all like that)

Thanks for the reply. Yes mine is also a contract that keeps getting extended. Started as a 6 month contract and turned into a 2 year contract and now I'm in the next 2 year contract... It's just so exhausting!! I see my manager dossing and drinking teas all day she seems to be so relaxed when I'm struggling with high pressure volumes every day!! And I'm getting close to minimum wage.
    When you say you gained weight, how did that happen? Cos I also have gained a stone!!!

Advertisement