Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iTunes won't recognize iPod

• 10-09-2013 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

I've been having a problem with my iPod recently. I have an iPod Classic for the last year or so, and I have a library full of music. It's been working perfectly since I got it, up until the last week or so. At first, it just started that I would plug my iPod into the laptop, and iTunes just wouldn't recognize it, or the iTunes would completely freeze when I plugged the iPod in, or iTunes wouldn't open at all when I plugged the iPod in, but suddenly appear onscreen once I'd unplugged it. It would charge and everything, but nothing else.

Today I decided I wanted to put a new album on it, but as usual, it wouldn't appear in my iTunes, or would freeze when I plugged it in. So I decided to try and sync it with my friend's iTunes on his laptop and see what happened. I plugged it in, and at first it seemed as though it was fine. I downloaded the album and put it on the iPod and it seemed to be doing it fine. Then suddenly everything froze and after a couple of minutes a message came up on the screen telling me that I needed to restore the iPod. I was afraid of doing this because I didn't really want to erase everything and have to start again, so I disconnected the iPod. When I turned on the iPod again though, all my music had been wiped, despite the fact that I didn't click restore. I plugged it back into my friend's laptop and decided I try and start from scratch then, and started putting music back on it. Again, it seemed like it was syncing like normal, but when I plugged it out after it had finished, there was still no music on it. I've tried it again a couple of times in my own laptop and my friend's, and still no luck. I've uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it loads of times, and it still isn't working.

I'm afraid that my iPod is completely banjaxed now, which would be pretty annoying since I got it only less than a year ago. Just wondering if there's anything else I could try that could possibly get it working again, or what needs to be done?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I had this issue as well. My iPod kept freezing, and then freezing iTunes. Playing music on it wouldn't work. If you're on a Mac, you can try erasing the hard disk and checking for errors through Disk Utility, or if you're on Windows, format through My Computer and then try restoring your iPod.

Unfortunately for me the problem was terminal and I had to get my iPod replaced. Apple in Belfast saw that even though it was out of warranty, it was in good enough condition that they'd halve the price of a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I tried to do the format thing on My Computer, but it would load a bit, and then a message would come up saying that it couldn't complete it or something. Ugh, I'm going to be so annoyed if I bring it into the Apple store and they just tell me that I have to get a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

That has all the classic signs of hard disk failure :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

This is beyond irritating, to be honest. Paying so much money for a device that fails less than a year after I bought it...I guess I'll just have to go into the Apple store and see what they say.

Thanks for the help anyways.

Advertisement