Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job and old health problem

Options
  • 10-09-2013 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job yesterday which had some urgency about it as I will be covering for someone going on secondment from this Friday. I have never worked with this company before. In a twist of sheer bad luck an old health problem re-surfaced at the weekend which will affect my ability to complete the job in general and given the fact that there is a major handover to be done (it's a management role) I am unsure what to do. The role isn't one from which I could take extensive leave on the basis of illness (irrespective of paid or unpaid) and I am conscious of the time constraints with the incumbent finishing this Friday.

It's a small company with no HR department as such so I am really unsure what to do. I haven't yet signed a contract and my options as I see it are to explain the health issue and bow out, or continue with the handover knowing that in all likelihood I'll have to bow shortly after the current jobholder leaves. Any suggestions on the best course of action here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ouch, that hurts.

Talk to your manager ASAP: make it their call whether you bow out now (and so they find someone else to take the handover) or later.

Advertisement