Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preference for Color in Cats

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Peach sounds hilarious! And I thought our "stripey menace" was demanding! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

ferretone wrote: »
    Peach sounds hilarious! And I thought our "stripey menace" was demanding! :rolleyes:

Oh she's demanding alright! She has become a total diva in the last year, after winning best non pedigree and becoming a grand master she has a bit of an inflated ego :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Oh she's demanding alright! She has become a total diva in the last year, after winning best non pedigree and becoming a grand master she has a bit of an inflated ego :P

Ah, she has professional corroboration :cool: That's you utterly defeated so :p Our diva's inflated opinion is based purely on her own estimation. Still doesn't give us a look-in, however, even though she's *only* a tabby :rolleyes:

(Tabby's don't get any automatic rights over the universe like torties, do they? :confused: )

Edited to add: I blame her being hand-reared, as an only kitten, from the age of 4 weeks at most, much exacerbated by her life hanging in the balance for a while at 2 different stages. This meant I was literally at her beck and call for an accumulated time of around 4 months. She's never gotten over her own importance since then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Ooooh yeah, sorry for bringing in my American spellings and terms. Over here, a mainly white cat with solid patches of black and orange is a calico, a brindle with patches of white is a tortie & white and a brindle is a tortie.

My cat Samhain is an odd one because she's basically a tuxedo cat, but with a patch of orange on half her face and little patches on her legs, and the rest of her body is black, but some of it is solid and other parts have light brindle going through. So she's kind of a cross between a calico and a tortie and white. But she's full of tortitude! Always demanding her way! The last time I took her to the vet, the woman couldn't stop laughing at her. She said Samhain was the funniest cat she'd ever seen because Samhain was chirping and trilling and getting into everything she possibly could, then chirping defiantly whenever she was blocked from getting her way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Looks like a calico to me. I was told my calico is actually a caliby. Means her ginger bit has tabby stripes on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I never looked at the colour of the coat, though I have to admit that my favourite are the tortieshell and the calico, in both cases they would be female cats.
    At the moment I have a tortie, a white with two or three black spots and a ginger cat.
    All of them came into my life as they were, I didn't look for them, they just crossed my path and I accepted them.

You crossed their path and they accepted you is more accurate ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ferretone wrote: »
    Ah, she has professional corroboration :cool: That's you utterly defeated so :p Our diva's inflated opinion is based purely on her own estimation. Still doesn't give us a look-in, however, even though she's *only* a tabby :rolleyes:

(Tabby's don't get any automatic rights over the universe like torties, do they? :confused: )
    We had to buy a bigger bed to accommodate our tabby who wanted to sleep at our heads every night... These days we got tabbies at our heads, feet, between us, on us (watching us to make sure we're not faking sleep instead of feeding them); so they may not have automatic rights but they sure are advocating to get 'em!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Never knew what colour a calico was so googled it there, now a I'm not sure what colour our cat is tortiseshell or calico??

You have a beautiful calico cat.
    Calico cats have solid patches of colours, white, black and ginger, in well defined shapes.
    Tortieshell cats have all the three colours well mixed together and it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins ;)

boomerang wrote: »
    No one does hauteur like a tortie! :D:D:D

I have a tortieshel cat and she's the sweetest cat I've ever known. She's a bit shy, doesn't try to stand out, makes exactly what she's told and allows me to do anything to her :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Our first cat, Tigger, was a brindle with a white chin and chest. She was the absolute pet of the family! When she passed, we got two long-haired ginger kittens (both girls, although we didn't know that at the time) called Mork and Mindy.

In recent years, I fostered a pregnant (and absolutely stunning) white cat with green eyes. We called her Sugar (Or Sugar-Mama) and she gave birth two 6 beautiful kittens, coloured in pairs :P
    Two were tabby with white chests and undersides.
    Two were white just like Mama (one ended up with two different eyes).
    And the final two were mostly white with black markings on their faces.

I'd never actually even seen a white cat in real life up until that point!
    Have to say the most beautiful cats I've ever found myself drawn to were long-haired. There's something more regal and wild about them. Especially greys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

"tortitude", I love it :D

So is there such a thing as "tabbitude"? Because I got one with plenty of that!

I actually have to admit that aesthetically black and white cats would probably be my least favourite, but I do love them all and would never turn one away based on colour. My aim in life is to have all the cats. Not just some of them, ALL of them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My last two have been black. We had a black cat as a child and it's always had good associations for me I guess. I chose the current one from the pound (when I was up the cats they had were all black, or black and white - everything else is snapped up really quickly according to the girl, which I thought really sad), but the last one wandered into my life. My current cat is the most innocent little sweet fella on the planet, whereas the previous fella was a territorial hound who was always coming home in tatters. Very different personalities, in otherwords, but both fantastic in my eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

When I adopted my two cats, I had no idea what colour they were until they arrived. The lady from the rescue just phoned to say she had two 9 week old kittens which was exactly what I was looking for. One's a tuxedo cat and the other is white and tortoiseshell and they're both gorgeous. :)

I had all colours growing up - black, white, black and white, white and tabby. I'd love a marmalade cat some day or a grey cat, and I do love the look of Maine Coons, but I don't really have ant firm preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's true what Teyla says. In rescue, the longhaired kittens are barely in the door and they're out again, next the "coloured" kittens. It's the blacks and the black and whites that end up staying on in rescue for months and not getting adopted until they are five/six/seven months old, when kitten season has ended and adopters don't have anything more fancy to chose from. That's just human nature, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

What kinda cat is this diva! Is she tortie/tabby calico?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Beautiful cat, a tabby I'd say

A gorgeous white and tabby. :)

(If more tabby than white, then we say it's a tabby and white.)

thalia_13 wrote: »
    What kinda cat is this diva! Is she tortie/tabby calico?

Looks like mine :D
    Over here we call them Harlequin.
    If the cat has only one black spot on its side it's called a Van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Looks like mine :D
    Over here we call them Harlequin.
    If the cat has only one black spot on its side it's called a Van.

Over here van pattern is 2 coloured eyebrows (patches on their head) and a coloured tail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

I love her little ginger freckle on her nose, she is currently asleep on my knees while im trying to kill a cold with whiskey! Her tabby marks are Brown and black but there is ginger in her head markings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

When I lived in the UK I always had a preference for tortoiseshell cats, probably because I had one when I was a child and come to prefer that colour.

Unfortunately since living here I have found, or been handed over by neighbours, so many unwanted cats that I did not have that choice. I have found that the colour does not really matter, because every cat has their own personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tabbies are ace. Here are some of mine, being excellent. The guy on the hangers is SUPER COMFY, honest. Plus one of my black and white guy, who happens to be black AND TABBY and white. LOL - we take all the pound rejects!

picture.php?albumid=2363&pictureid=15001

picture.php?albumid=2363&pictureid=15002

picture.php?albumid=2363&pictureid=15003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I'm blessed enough to have a tux, a tabby and a tortie with plenty of tortitude. Each are so different and bring their own little something to my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

colour doesn't matter to me, but I'd love a bit of variety. All my cats are ginger, that's what the inbreeding on the farms around here produces. Every stray that arrives, every unneutered tom, all gingers.
    If the country ever cleaned up its overbreeding problem and I had to go looking for a cat it would be a grey tabby, I think they're beautiful. But every single cat is beautiful :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

lubie76 wrote: »
    I'm blessed enough to have a tux, a tabby and a tortie with plenty of tortitude. Each are so different and bring their own little something to my life!
    Love the pose on the Carlico; looks like doing a hip hop dance move!

Also the look of "I'm going to kill you for waking me" in the tabby was great.

My tabby
    prueone_zps1a0cba66.png

prue2_zps5833f3a9.png

And the ginger who recently adopted my dad!
    katze_zpsdf15e395.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Nody wrote: »
    Love the pose on the Carlico; looks like doing a hip hop dance move!

Also the look of "I'm going to kill you for waking me" in the tabby was great.

Thanks. We call the tabby Oscar after Oscar the grouch- he always has an angry face as in pic below but he is really the most petish of them all but gets bullied a lot.

Beautiful photos, OMG!

Best thing about tabbies? Kissable spotty bellies!

I love kissable bellies :D Although my tabby's belly tends to be surrounded by claws! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement