Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surface 2 and RT 8.1 to be released on 23rd of Sept

• 10-09-2013 9:38am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Link
    Microsoft will launch its next generation of Surface 2 tablet devices in New York on 23 September, according to press invites despatched to US media.

It is understood Microsoft will launch the next-generation versions of Surface RT and Surface Pro.

The Surface Pro will come with Intel’s new Haswell processor, which will add about two hours to battery life and some units will ship with 8GB of RAM on board.

According to The Verge, the Surface RT 8.1 will include a 1080p display and will be powered by Nvidia’s Tegra 4 processor.

Battery life on the Surface 2 models will be boosted by a new Power Cover accessory that will include a built-in battery within the keyboard cover.

There is also understood to be a white version of the Surface Pro in the works.

Very interested in the non rt version. I think they have a lot of potential.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

godtabh wrote: »
    Link

Very interested in the non rt version. I think they have a lot of potential.

Launched. They won't be available until end of November at the earliest I'd say. Definitely not until 8.1 is in GA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

If the rt version is considerably cheaper than the non-rt version then its likely to be a Christmas purchase in my household. We have a nexus 7 which is just slightly too small to be particularly useful for anything other than books, browsing and videos for the kids. The surface 2 will be ideal for the couch and when we're travelling. It'll replace a 5 year old vaio. I'm fairly happy that we don't need legacy windows software support, but again the price has to be right. I will still have my main laptop for Lightroom, web work etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Announced/debut in September. General release likely to be October 18th in the USA at least.

What I care about? Obviously about whether that power pack is backwards compatible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Overheal wrote: »
    Announced/debut in September. General release likely to be October 18th in the USA at least.

What I care about? Obviously about whether that power pack is backwards compatible.

The signs are pointing to them reusing the parts from the current models so I'd say they'll stay compatible. Its a handy way to keep the cost low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I think the power pack is only backwards compatible with the surface pro and NOT the original rt - different connector pins I believe. But the power pack will be compatible with both new models (refreshed surface pro and surface 2)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think the power pack is only backwards compatible with the surface pro and NOT the original rt - different connector pins I believe. But the power pack will be compatible with both new models (refreshed surface pro and surface 2)

Just realised I thought you were talking about the power brick :-D

I dont mind the RT not having it, the RT has plenty of battery life. The pro not having it will be ridiculous

The pro has some interesting contacts in the keyboard connector, so I'd say these will be the connectors used for the power addon.

that has always been speculated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Dear Santa...

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement