Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creda storage heater very high electricity usage

Options
  • 10-09-2013 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have a problem with a creda combination heater (storage and convection heater below) - the heater uses way too much electricity - I am guessing their should be a control on the amount of heat that goes into it at night and this may not be working so it continues to heat at full power for the entire 7 hours at night rate - should I just get a new charge thermostat (seems to be £40+) or would I be better off just getting an appliance repair man to look at it as there are more components that can go wrong. This particular model does not have the mechanical output controller so seems a little more complicated that that basic models.

also with new legislation am I obliged to get a sparks to look at this - ie illegal for me to fix my own heater myself?

Thanks guys

btw has scoured the net and can find nothing about faults resulting in high energy usage, seems to be exclusively about not heating as opposed to my issue of using to much energy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

when the heaters warm
    does the input control click on and off when if you adjust it?

also do you have a master control like a devireg?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 chewy356

thanks Tom,

no devireg or similar, just wired straight to fuseboard & night meter form what I can see. There is a room stat but think this is only for the convection heater underneath but could be wrong

will check the input controller to make sure. it would make sense that there is a stat on the input circuit that turns off input at certain temp? Is that all the input control is? if it has failed then will pour heat into the bricks all night long....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

chewy356 wrote: »
    I have a problem with a creda combination heater (storage and convection heater below) - the heater uses way too much electricity -

How many kW is the heater rated at and how many kW is it using?
    I would find this out by checking the name plate and by measuring the current drawn with a grip on ammeter (alternatively you could use an "Owl" energy monitor).

This is your starting point, because until this has been done it is not possible to ascertain if the unit is using too much or not.

I am guessing their should be a control on the amount of heat that goes into it at night and this may not be working so it continues to heat at full power for the entire 7 hours at night rate

Why do you think it is not working?

- should I just get a new charge thermostat (seems to be £40+)

Before changing anything it is important to test if it is working or not.

or would I be better off just getting an appliance repair man to look at it as there are more components that can go wrong.

I am not really clear why you think that this heater is faulty. I would try to find this out first before doing any work.

A heater like this:

http://www.shop4-heating.co.uk/product.php/22436047/creda-tsr24aw-tsr-sensor-plus-white-storage-heater-with-multi-sense-two-thermostatic-sensor-controls-3-4kw-h-705mm-x-w-1016mm-x-d-170mm/622568e9a2d24fcb28da1eeec1343e11

will use a lot of electricity when it is functioning exactly as the manufacturer intended.
    This particular model does not have the mechanical output controller so seems a little more complicated that that basic models.

I would not worry, I found these to be quite ineffective anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

check your stat anyhow

make sure you have the day heat turned off

that might cut- in if you have the input turned down and confuse things

• Registered Users Posts: 11 chewy356

Tom,
    I will check the stat anyway.

winter bills in previous years were about 220 per 2 months and last winter were 350+ per 2 months. something changed and through an admittedly not very scientific process of elimination it appears to be the storage heater. I may need to take a more structured approach to recording the meter nightly and seeing what is using what. I have left on the long finger and need to get sorted before another winter sets in

I will get an owl clamp meter and check it at night once night meter kicks in to check drawing correct current.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

chewy356 wrote: »
    winter bills in previous years were about 220 per 2 months and last winter were 350+ per 2 months.

Yes but electricity prices went up, perhaps your usage may have increased too.

something changed and through an admittedly not very scientific process of elimination it appears to be the storage heater.

Yes, many things changed that could have had a nasty impact on your bill. As well as the above the stat setting might have been changed, the ambient temperature may have changed. There is nothing that you have said so far that clearly indicates a faulty heater.
    I may need to take a more structured approach to recording the meter nightly and seeing what is using what. I have left on the long finger and need to get sorted before another winter sets in

Seach of an Owl energy meter. They are easy to install and (from my experience) reduces bills through incraesed awareness.

Good luck !

Advertisement