If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Projector Arggghhh

Options
  • 10-09-2013 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Hi looking for some advice about what projector to buy. Had a look online and it’s a bit of a minefield. I am looking at an entry level type projector. One that would suit a large smooth white wall in a room that is easily blacked out. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

big syke wrote: »
    Hi looking for some advice about what projector to buy. Had a look online and it’s a bit of a minefield. I am looking at an entry level type projector. One that would suit a large smooth white wall in a room that is easily blacked out. Thanks in advance!
    Hi Big,

It can be a nightmare.  There is so much out there!

Without going into silly money I'd suggest the Ben Q W1200 currently sitting at £699.95.  Fantastic picture quality.  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/projectors/benq/w1200/benq-w1200-whi

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hi Kenny,

How does the BenQ stack up against the Epson TW5910, I know there's a price difference but is the epson worth the extra money, they both have great reviews, I'm in the same boat as OP, want to spend as little as possible yet get an awesome picture. 

thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Kenny,

How does the BenQ stack up against the Epson TW5910, I know there's a price difference but is the epson worth the extra money, they both have great reviews, I'm in the same boat as OP, want to spend as little as possible yet get an awesome picture. 

thanks
    Hi Drunkmonkey.

There is a difference between the two projectors in terms of the tech they use.
    The BENQ in DLP and the Epson is LCD:

DLP, or digital light processing, uses tiny mirrors (shown at right) to reflect light toward the screen (an "on" pixel) or away (an "off" pixel). Most models use a color wheel -- literally a spinning wheel with color filters -- to create sequential color. Some high-end models use three DLP chips; one each for red, green, and blue. DLP projectors range in price from a few hundred dollars to tens of thousands, and more. Most projectors in movie theaters use DLP. You can find models from Optoma, BenQ, Mitsubishi, and many others.

LCD (Credit: 3LCD)
    LCD, which stands for liquid crystal display, is very similar to the technology found in most TVs. LCD projectors use three liquid crystal panels (one shown at right), each tasked with creating an image using just one of the primary colors (red, green, and blue). All three are projected on the screen at once, so you see a full color image. LCD projectors range in price from a few hundred to several thousand dollars, and are available from companies like Epson, Panasonic, and others.

The contrast ratio on the Epson is also higher coming in at 20,000:1 over the 10,000:1 of the BENQ.

While the Epson is worth the extra the BENQ is still a fantastic projector and we sell them by the bucket due to their price range.

Let me know what you think.

Any further questions please ask.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.