Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

financial penalites for drafting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Oh the joys of a judgement call not being appealble.

The good news is that you can now appeal, but it will cost you money.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The good news is that you can now appeal, but it will cost you money.
    You still cant appeal a judgement call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What are we talking about here, a 15-20% saving drafting on the bike and fresher legs on the run?

Apply that time to each race distance to calculate what the penalty should be.

Avg time say for a bike split in Sprint, Oly, HIM and IM would be , 35mins, 1:10, 2:50, 6:00. Apply a 20% time penalty to each and that would soon rule out any gains made, 7min, 14min penalties....you get the idea.
    If you knew you were going to get a 7min or 14min penalty in a SPR or OLY and be publically named & shamed would it not stop you from doing it again?
    Its all about making the penalty bigger than the drafting reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

That is all good and right but i interpret this with that you are saying you can provide this with 2 draft busters for 350 athletes ie the way it is right now.
    I would suggest you cant do this with 2 draft marshalls. and money needs to be generated to have more draft marshalls. This is the only reason why I advocate money fines to pay for more draft marshalls.

What are we talking about here, a 15-20% saving drafting on the bike and fresher legs on the run?

Apply that time to each race distance to calculate what the penalty should be.

Avg time say for a bike split in Sprint, Oly, HIM and IM would be , 35mins, 1:10, 2:50, 6:00. Apply a 20% time penalty to each and that would soon rule out any gains made, 7min, 14min penalties....you get the idea.
    If you knew you were going to get a 7min or 14min penalty in a SPR or OLY and be publically named & shamed would it not stop you from doing it again?
    Its all about making the penalty bigger than the drafting reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

So if you draft you have to pay more than you paid to enter the race if it is for example a sprint ?

How do you make people pay ? Employ a dept revocery agency or clamp their bikes in transition:rolleyes:

Sorry Peter but i think its a crazy idea.

the TI could do a snatch and grab on people during the run and hold them for ransom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

peter kern wrote: »
    That is all good and right but i interpret this with that you are saying you can provide this with 2 draft busters for 350 athletes ie the way it is right now.
    I would suggest you cant do this with 2 draft marshalls. and money needs to be generated to have more draft marshalls. This is the only reason why I advocate money fines to pay for more draft marshalls.

I agree better marshalling is required, perhaps not more but better. Is it not better having 2 switched on marshalls not afraid to pull people up for penalties than 4 marshalls who turn a blind eye? I would be more focusing on the quality rather than the quantity of marshalling.

A recent race i done had drafters in the middle of a cycling club group who were out for a spin!!

of course quality is 1 aspect I do totally agree with it
    But again even 2 really good ones (and there is some who are rally good ) cant deal with 175 atheltes ( sorry for using my soocer wxample again one referee could not do the job.

Anyway in the private sector i think it works like this. you have a position nobody good wants to do so you need to pay more to make it attractive to take on the position. Not a single person from the drafters thread has said ok I become a draft marshall and this is where we are everybody is compalining but nobody comes up with solutions how to make it better and how it will be paid for.
    Only if a draft marshall is being paid well would i want to start to complain about the quality of the job they do as voluntteers we have to be very thanksful to have them at all.
    The silence of the people that complain most about drafting on the other thread is interesting. Shoes how easy it is to complain but finding solutions is more difficult.

Sorry Peter, but IMO that post is rubbish.

Marshals are trained by TI to do the job that they volunteered themselves for. I'm sick of that age old excuse of 'I don't get paid enough to do a good job'. :mad: :mad:

Look at our Government, paid a fortune and they do a sh1t job!! No link between level of pay and quality of work at all.

I've said it before, give the marshals the tools to do the job ie GoPro cameras on every bike & car marshall that record the evidence. It has to be the easiest thing in the world to outfit them with headsets that voice activated radio numbers back to Race HQ of offenders.

The biggest issue with drafters is that they are fresher on the run. Regardless of where you finish in the pack, a cheater is ahead of you, taking one of your places off you!

Place a team at T2 issue stop/go penalties or DQ and let the offenders appeal the video evidence. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I can see where Peter is coming from. It's the same with Soccer and the GAA to an extent. Everyone complains about the referees but very few will actually step up and become one.....

reply to akw
    A government is a reflection of the countries people :-)
    and i did say private sector did I ?

Seriously of course you are right about quality but still here is the fact unless a draftmarshall constantly goes with the top guys or a bunch camera or no camera ... draft marhsall is there no drafting draft marshall leaves, guess what ....

SO anyway you say draft marshals need to be trained better that also does cost money and take even more time
    Do you think you get enough video evidence with 2 draft buster?

How do you make the job more attractive?

do you agree as suggested a draft marshalls should get a bonus for busting somebody (i dodnt like that idea unless there is video evidence but again who would pay for that bonuse )

your post is again about its all so easy,we do a bit of this and that problem solved. Its not and Itu 20 years ago gave up with the elites.
    you cant just say ok from today we do a better job when there is no system in place

ie a given draft buster to athlete ratio for a nat series race

make sure marshalls really do understand what they do ( some do some dont but again you cant really tell a voluntter you are not doing a good job) how to use cameras etc

Bottom line is it costs resorces to fight against drafting and you need to come up where you get the resources from or put your name up to become a draft marshal and do the job you do expect them to do for free.

• Advertisement

If only I was allowed have a motorbike again . . . .

3 races and I promise everyone would be terrified to draft, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

No offence AKW....but the reality is, you've hardly had time to race this season, let alone offer your services as a draft buster. And all for very good reasons - family, business, etc. These things take precedence over a hobby. Now, if the time was available to you, I'm damn sure you would prefer to be racing than pinging people and getting nothing but abuse. It's human nature. We're selfish and look after our own interests. The majority of people would prefer to race than to give up their time marshaling or refereeing an event. Me included. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm going to be gone away from family for a day at a race, I want to be racing not standing on the sidelines. When I have volunteered, all I kept thinking was "why the fcuk am I not I racing"

I know you think the tools will help but as the Loughrea clip showed, it's open to interpretation. I think more marshals are required with supporting technology. Finding the balance, the people and the buy in from TI is needed. Can that be achieved????? History says otherwise.

I'm not having a dig at you. I'm just highlighting the harsh realities behind getting more people involved, etc

If only I was allowed have a motorbike again . . . .

3 races and I promise everyone would be terrified to draft, problem solved.

Briliant election talk , you would be a good politician , promise everything without saying how you realice it;-)
    But you identifyed a problem most potential marashlls dont have a motorbike.
    So should TI buy some ? and who is going to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Anyway in the private sector i think it works like this. you have a position nobody good wants to do so you need to pay more to make it attractive to take on the position. Not a single person from the drafters thread has said ok I become a draft marshall and this is where we are everybody is compalining but nobody comes up with solutions how to make it better and how it will be paid for.
    Only if a draft marshall is being paid well would i want to start to complain about the quality of the job they do as voluntteers we have to be very thanksful to have them at all.
    The silence of the people that complain most about drafting on the other thread is interesting. Shoes how easy it is to complain but finding solutions is more difficult.

Disagree Peter. I no longer do Race Referee, Technical Delegate or Draft Marshal for any races (or whatever the positions are called now).

Nothing to do with money. I made a difficult decision, which was the correct one, and one I think you were aware of. I never received support for this call and was subjected to years of abuse over it. Finally I realised I was never, and would never, get the backup required to do what needed to be done to do the roles properly (ie sorry your race isn't happening today/yes I did DQ half the field/etc) so I haven't done it in years and will never do it again.

Briliant election talk , you would be a good politician , promise everything without saying how you realice it;-)

Em...
    I'd be in favour of motor bike referees carrying cattle prods and just tazing offenders. The subsequent road rash would serve as a reminder that drafting is against the rules & spirit of triathlon. rolleyes.png

Draconian but you'd draft once & never again ;)
    But you identifyed a problem most potential marashlls dont have a motorbike. So should TI buy some ? and who is going to pay?

Should TI buy kayaks? Should safety boats charge to pull people out of the water? '€20 and I'll save you'.

Its voluntary, made from volunteers. People put themselves forwards to be a marshal, to train as a coach, to referee, to administrate. TI don't force anyone to be a marshal, people choose to do the task. People with motorbikes or access to motorbikes offer to become marshals.

I'm pretty sure they do get a stipend for expenses just like the photographers who commit to being trained to do the media work.

I offered a tongue in cheek reply to the continual debate about this. The answer is simple, participants have the responsibility to ensure they understand the rules, they have the responsibility to ensure they practise the rules. To play fair.

We won't find an isolated solution to the problem without totally overhauling the structure, culture and administration of triathlon as a whole. I've made my thoughts elsewhere on how this could be approached.

@P - I hear you and understand what you're saying.

In general draft marshals are drawn from interested persons who would not normally be racing. Interested parties who train up as an aside to what they normally do. In much the same way you see motorbike clubs supporting cycle races, just to be out on the bikes with some purpose is often enough.

Yes, this year has been attrocious for training and racing. With limited time resources you have to be very selective in what you do. But if I thought by not racing and admining or marshalling a race or two would change our sport for the better I'd gladly do it. I believe it has to be hand in hand, give something back if you can, maybe not today or tomorrow, but at some point.

To answer OP and not draw it our. Financial penalties won't work. They'd be impossible to administrate and would alienate people. Educate them properly first. Then enforce the rules properly.

Very good point !!!!!!
    and maybe a very important reason Itu gave up on elites and made if draft legal , as it got ugly at the finsih line.

thats what all the people who say to monitor drafting is so easy forget the psycological pressure is high.

SO it was not money in your case but support but again that support would cost money ( should you have been given legal support psyscological support or whatever I dodnt know but its great to hear from one that actually has been part of the other side rather than just talking ( including myself)

tunney wrote: »
    Disagree Peter. I no longer do Race Referee, Technical Delegate or Draft Marshal for any races (or whatever the positions are called now).

Nothing to do with money. I made a difficult decision, which was the correct one, and one I think you were aware of. I never received support for this call and was subjected to years of abuse over it. Finally I realised I was never, and would never, get the backup required to do what needed to be done to do the roles properly (ie sorry your race isn't happening today/yes I did DQ half the field/etc) so I haven't done it in years and will never do it again.

Advertisement