Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eat now... eat then... eat alot... eat a little ........

Options
  • 10-09-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,
    Quick question about excercise at lunch time and food.
    I am now spending my hour at the gym, cardio, swim or weights depending on the day.
    For those who know, when is the best time to eat? Eat more about an hour or so before and carry on as normal in the afternoon or eat normally before and have more after?
    I'm often based in an office so food is fruit, nuts, home made salad in a wrap normally with tinned fish of some type, turkey fillet, avocado etc etc.
    All opinions appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hello everyone,
    Quick question about excercise at lunch time and food.
    I am now spending my hour at the gym, cardio, swim or weights depending on the day.
    For those who know, when is the best time to eat? Eat more about an hour or so before and carry on as normal in the afternoon or eat normally before and have more after?
    I'm often based in an office so food is fruit, nuts, home made salad in a wrap normally with tinned fish of some type, turkey fillet, avocado etc etc.
    All opinions appreciated, thanks.

Normally a small snack 2hrs beforehand (nothing if its an easy run or bike), lunchtime session, then protein shake, shower and back at my desk to eat lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

For lunchtime stuff I'd tend to ensure that I wasn't too hungry for it by eating a bit of fruit or 1 or 2 rice-cake's w/ peanut butter or similar beforehand.
    If I had done a session that morning and was going out at lunch again I'd tend to eat a medium size bowl of muesli about 9:30 / 10:00 (would have had the porridge earlier that morning).
    For afterwards personally I wouldn't bother with the protein shake just get a sandwich and some fruit.
    The important thing for after the lunchtime session is to drink plenty of water.
    Sometimes your body 'thinks' you're more hungry than you are after a workout like that and you can overeat. Drinking water can rid you of the immediate hunger pangs and then see how your set a while later, you want to be hungry for supper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Yea, I tend to stay away from supplements just whole foods.
    Going on what you both are saying I'll stick with keeping lunch post gym. I was toying with eating it about 11 then snack after gym, bfast on the week days varies but is normally porrage about 8am followed with fruit and nuts around 11.
    I will be increasing my load with morning workouts in the next few weeks and will then push bfast after the gym to about 8:30 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I do a swim on empty 3 mornings a week - just drink water between getting up and the end of the swim. A bowel of muesli with berries, nuts, seeds and a dash of whey when I get to work.

Depending on the difficulty of the lunchtime session I may or may not have peanut butter on oatcakes as a snack 2 hours before the lunchtime session.

What I have after the session depends on the difficulty of the session. I always try to have some protein in there though.

This week is different though - pizza on Monday, KFC yesterday........yes, my season ended on Sunday :D

Advertisement