Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to spend money on safety gear

• 10-09-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hey Guys,
    I am returning to motorcycling and after what i have budgeted for my bike, I have about 400 for a new helmet a disk / clutch lock and boots.
    I already have my jacket gloves and pants.
    Do I need a turtle style back protector or is there something I'm forgetting?
    Most of my driving is to and from work where i have a private car park behind steel gates so i don't really need the lock.
    Where is the best place to buy these things?
    also I need crash bungs as well (if budget permits).

I'm getting a 250cc ninja :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Most jackets have some sort of back protection in them already so I don't think you need to spend on a protector.

You should still get a disc lock and a heavy chain & lock for the back wheel. You will need them even if you think you are safe behind locked gates. Thieves can get by security gates. You should at least use the disc lock if you don't want to be carrying the chain around with you. You will need both locks at your home.

I reckon you will get a good helmet, locks and boots well within your budget. I don't think you need to splash out big money on a helmet, but don't buy cheap either. The HJC helmets are pretty good. I have mine now for about 5 years and it's still in good nick. Can't remember how much it was but it wasn't too expensive.

As for the boots, if you're only commuting to and from work then any pair of boots would do. They don't have to be biker boots, just as long as they are waterproof and warm.

Hope that helps you.

Ride safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

thanks,
    That helps a lot. :)
    What are the bike boots for if not commuting?
    Under what circumstances do i need them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Well the budget you have should be enough for decent gear that you require. Regarding back protector, I would advise you to look at what your jacket has, if it is protector or just and insert as that will depend from jacket to jacket.

Regarding helmets, there are plenty out there for up to €200 which are very good.

Regarding boots, you will want waterproof ones if it is for commuting, which ones is a type of taste and budget (incidentally I do have brand new ones for sale size 10-11) so if interested PM me. I will put them up on adverts later on today anyhow.

In any case, welcome back to biking!

thanks and let me know when the ad is up :)
    My jacket has a padding for my upper-back, lower-back shoulders and elbows (so i guess I'm fine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I have a pair of Gaerne bike boots and TBH I only wear them on long journeys. But maybe it's just that I find the boots that I wear for everyday use more comfortable. I found that if I was heading away for the weekend then I would need to bring boots for normal walking around, and that would mean extra baggage. I would not wear the biker boots if I was going out or anything. But then again, I bought these boots http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-boots/gaerne-grs/gaerne-grs-boots.jpg about 5 or 6 years ago, whereas biker
    boots today are a bit more stylish and not as bulky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd consider bike boots to be pretty important, going down the road with a bike on your foot will shred most street type boots fast.
    The sole stiffness is the biggest difference as well as the quality/thickness of the leather.
    I rode mine the other day with a pair of Clarks Goretex boots on and it felt like I had sandals on.
    It just didn't feel comfortable.
    At the very least consider a pair like these they will be a lot better than laced style that can catch a footpeg and cause a fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

http://touch.adverts.ie/motorbike-parts-accessories/dainese-back-protector/3750688
    Get a proper back protector.
    They are strapped into place and won't move in a crash.
    Also the armor in most jackets just meets CE standards.
    Look into Dainese or Alpine Stars.
    Very good brands. Even check adverts/done deal for second hand.
    I don't get on the bike without mine.
    Enjoy being back on the bike!
    Chris.

Edit: the one above isn't mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

thanks and let me know when the ad is up :)
    My jacket has a padding for my upper-back, lower-back shoulders and elbows (so i guess I'm fine).

There's only cheap foam padding in the back pocket, usually. A back protector will either be solid with a foam backing or a large hardish foam pad, they still can't decide if hard or soft armour is better even after all these years. You can either buy a protector that fits into you jacket or buy a separate protector. The back protectors in the jackets aren't as good as the separate ones but it's always in your jacket so you'll always use it unlike the separate one where you may decide it's only a short spin so no point and there's less to carry when off the bike.

I've decided to pick up a separate back protector.
    I have a leather "lookwell" jacket that i like (does any one know this brand).
    Is there an issue in wearing a rainproof coat over a leather jacket until i can get a water proof bike jacket?

Is there an issue in wearing a rainproof coat over a leather jacket until i can get a water proof bike jacket?

No issue at all, I've done it for nearly two years as some jackets out there are splash proof but not rain proof. I would recommend to save up and get a good textile jacket and not be fooled by the cheap ones claiming to be water proof.

• Advertisement

Since all waterproofs will eventually fail it's sometimes cheaper to just buy cheap waterproofs from a army surplus/camping shop and replace frequently than splashing out on expensive gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Del2005 wrote: »
    Since all waterproofs will eventually fail it's sometimes cheaper to just buy cheap waterproofs from a army surplus/camping shop and replace frequently than splashing out on expensive gear.

Is there any issues with comfort in doing this?

How much do you think you would have to spend to get waterproof textile bike gear (jacket, pants, gloves, boots) in order for them to be reliable and comfortable for winter commuting?

I hate gear-shopping. I never have a fraction of the money I need for good gear that fits well and keeps the elements mostly out.

cantdecide wrote: »

How much do you think you would have to spend to get waterproof textile bike gear (jacket, pants, gloves, boots) in order for them to be reliable and comfortable for winter commuting?

I'll address your comfort issue first. I've had jackets bought from €60-120 that claimed to be waterproof and all that. Initially yes they held out the rain, but so did they the air and all that. So when it is not raining you end up wet anyway.

The fabric on them does not feel as heavy and sturdy and thankfully I did not have to test that.

You could find one with good ventilation which is not waterproof and get the waterproof overalls (have them myself). They are about €70 for jacket and trousers together. They are great for keeping the water out but again I found them to be too warm over all the other gear.

So after testing all the cheaper stuff I went for RST Paragon III jacket and can't fault it so far. This was after recommendations here as well as from friends. I can feel and see the difference in quality.

So in my view budget around:

Jacket €250
    Pants €250
    Gloves €50
    Boots from €50-250 (depending on what you want) I've bought boots for €60 and for €120 and they both are still alive and still waterproof.

Hope this helps.

cantdecide wrote: »

I hate gear-shopping. I never have a fraction of the money I need for good gear that fits well and keeps the elements mostly out.

Good quality waterproof bike gear will cost €€€€s and will eventually leak. If you buy a cheaper non waterproof, most are shower proof, textile for a couple of hundred and buy a cheap waterproof from an army surplus/camping shop to throw over if it's raining you'll get better value. Same for trousers, get decent textiles and buy cheap over trousers. You can then save up to buy a decent waterproof oversuit, which will have the added benefit of keeping you warm and dry in winter.

Have a look on adverts or donedeal for 2nd clothes, don't buy a lid 2nd hand, to save some money. Once a jacket and trousers are windproof and have protection you can always wear more clothes underneath for the cold, Penny's have good value thermals and Lidl/Aldi regularly do base layers.

Advertisement