Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valiant Hearts

Options
  • 10-09-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭

Ubisoft Montpellier's Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a 2D puzzle adventure game that set during World War I, but it's not a war game, according to audio director Yoan Fanise. "It's a game about war," he told Polygon. "About humans during war."

The game uses a comic book art style, all hand-drawn by art director Paul Tumelaire, to tell the story of five characters of different nationalities during WWI who are all somehow connected. There's the French prisoner of war who peels potatoes in a German camp. There's the American volunteer. There's the Belgian nurse. There's the English pilot. And there's the German soldier, who is in love with the Frenchman's daughter.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/10/4711654/valiant-hearts-the-great-war-tells-the-story-of-human-beings-during
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a new game from Ubisoft Montpellier created with the UbiArt Framework engine, which powers Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends and the upcoming Child of Light. The hand-drawn story is set during World War I and follows five individuals attempting to survive the war, each of their fates tied together by one medical service dog.

Valiant Hearts relies on a mixture of platforming and environmental puzzle solving, and uses a picture-in-picture comic book presentation style to propel the plot. There are also light stealth elements, as evidenced by a scene in which one of the characters tosses a rock to distract a guard.

Presentation is exaggerated in Valiant Hearts: Burly German soldiers drink beer and bite on big pretzels, lending slight levity to what is typically a somber setting.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War is in development for the PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC, and will be released on digital stores sometime in 2014.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/10/valiant-hearts-tells-the-story-of-five-wwi-survivors-and-a-dog/

Official Trailer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The dog better ****ing survive...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ghouldaddy

This game looks fantastic. I fear for the Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The game finally has a release date, June 25th!

Christ it looks fantastic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Been following this one for a while now, really looks good.

Great to see that Ubiart framework being put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I just wanted to say I've been playing this with the OH for the last few weekends (chapter here and there) and it's really a well done game. It's essentially a puzzler with lots of charm and personality and really gets you right in the feels at points. It's free on PS Plus so i'd definitely recommend people giving it a go. Only about 6 hours long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just downloaded this tonight, absolutely loving it. Beautiful animation, nice, easy gameplay and a serious great soundtrack on it too. Great game so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

If you haven't all tried this yet, you're missing out, it's not just more of your typical PS Plus indie rubbish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yup i'm now on to the final chapter, it's stunning, every frame could be snapshotted at hung on a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I just started this last night, it was hard to put down and it was 4am again I got to bed!. Beautiful and charming, it's all captured so well. It's a great history lesson too as games rarely if ever touch on the WW1 setting. It's a great PS+ game. I know there is a sad ending in it and thankfully I haven't spoiled it for myself yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game is great but it also suffers from way too many bombastic scenes. Some of the 'action' sequences feel like they belong in a different game entirely, which creates this strange discrepancy in mood between the cartoonish sequences and the more down to Earth, human ones. There are many poignant, surprising moments in Valiant Hearts that capture the horror of war in a way most games haven't - but there's also too many one man/woman army moments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Got it on sale the other day but haven't played it yet. One thing though. Does it have to have the game's name in two languages in steam completely expanding the context menu? Anyway to rename these shortcuts in steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just completed the game there, the ending packs a bit of an emotional punch, that was kinda to be expected though. They really got everything right in this game, brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I finished this today and enoyed it greatly. The story was decent and it played very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was on PS+ this month and I finished it yesterday. Really nice little game which tugged many times at the aul heartstrings.

One of my favourite gaming experiences this generation anyway.

Advertisement