Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Golf Club

Options
  • 10-09-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭

Lads any tips for Wicklow G.C.

Will be first time out on it and want to score well. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

It's very short off the Whites.
    1st is as you see it
    Watch out for the hazard off the tee on 2nd
    3rd & 5th are driveable.
    4th internal OB left and Gorse right so long iron + wedge/9i/8i might be the play.
    6th make sure you walk out to the teebox on the cliff to take a look. Blues are out there sometimes and it's a cracker of a hole from there with a 200yd carry across the Irish Sea to the Fairway. If you're playing casually head out there and play the hole from the cliffs. Otherwise at least head out and have a look.
    7th getting on the right level is crucial, otherwise Bogey is likely
    8th as you see it, 9 as you see it
    10th OB right, trees left so tough driving hole
    11th needs a fade into the green, use the bank on the right and you will finish left
    12th great hole, unless you're a straight hitter you might need an iron as it's so narrow, OB left and Gorse right
    13th left is dead, right is a tough hillside lie so straight and short is ok
    14th pretty much as you see it
    15th off whites is a bad hole uphill dogleg right, watch out for OB left on approach the blues are back in the cage normally a good 80yds further back
    16th v short Par 5, anywhere down near the lake leaves a mid/long iron approach to the green
    17th, long is ok (unless you're too long into the bushes then dead), short from whites, back blues worth a look as it's a good hole from back there, can be a 4/5i off blues, as little as a PW off whites
    18th as you see it

Enjoy let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

sound , thanks for that.

Hitting 5/4 irons off most tees, about 200 yards.

will that work around there ?

sound , thanks for that.

Hitting 5/4 irons off most tees, about 200 yards.

will that work around there ?

Yes, if you're off the Whites it will leave you coming in with short iron approaches on 2nd (try driving the 3rd green but miss right, left leaves a hard short-sided pitch and everything runs off from left to right if you bust a driver up the right), 4, (try driving the 5th green but the miss is left, right is cabbage if you bust one about 260 and it goes right), Driver on 6th (down 8th is the bail-out to take OB left out of play), driver on 8th or a long iron leaves a mid-iron approach off whites, Driver on 10 needs to be accurate, 5/4i will leave another 5/4i approach to an elevated green, 5/4 on 12 should leave a mid iron, same on 13, Driver all day on 14, 5/4 off whites on 15 leaves an 8/9i approach, 16 depends on wind, get down as close to the hazard without going in obviously :), 18 has room but better off laying back to leave a full shot to the green.

Everything depends on the wind. If it's blowing hard then all bets are off :)

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    Yes, if you're off the Whites it will leave you coming in with short iron approaches on 2nd (try driving the 3rd green but miss right, left leaves a hard short-sided pitch and everything runs off from left to right if you bust a driver up the right), 4, (try driving the 5th green but the miss is left, right is cabbage if you bust one about 260 and it goes right), Driver on 6th (down 8th is the bail-out to take OB left out of play), driver on 8th or a long iron leaves a mid-iron approach off whites, Driver on 10 needs to be accurate, 5/4i will leave another 5/4i approach to an elevated green, 5/4 on 12 should leave a mid iron, same on 13, Driver all day on 14, 5/4 off whites on 15 leaves an 8/9i approach, 16 depends on wind, get down as close to the hazard without going in obviously :), 18 has room but better off laying back to leave a full shot to the green.

Everything depends on the wind. If it's blowing hard then all bets are off :)

Sounds like you played it before :D

hope wind picks up , lads are higher handicap.

Thanks for all that , looks lovely there, the original old head :)

• Advertisement

What a place,

Fantastic course. I was sort of joking thinking it is The Old Head of the east. Do you know what , it is. Not as pumped up and posh. But a great club atmosphere. You start off tame, but then you hit a run of holes that are relentless, every shot has you thinking. So thanks Mr. Larson for the tips, paid off to be very conserative. 31 pts , not great , but never got the greens right all day, they are so fast , it is unreal. Wind would make them almost unplayable , I'd imagine.

The weather was amazing, the lads loved the course. I guess the sun and a few pints in the great clubhouse was the icing.

So 9/10. A must play, would say it was great to visit , could be a bit too hard and hilly for the older or injured or a quick round . it almost gets impractical at the turn for home, bit too hilly, but I love holes like that too. They could be just made of harder stuff in Wicklow

So will be back, a course you need to play a few times to get the run of it.

Woodenbridge day 2, had my best round of the year in near gale. So for any group looking for a place to go away and play, you can't go wrong in the well named Garden of Ireland.

Played Wicklow again today , great value and stunning views across the east coast and Irish Sea. I played terrible, but hope that is not tainting my view on course. The slopes and greens are just too fast, add a wind and you are touching on crazy golf at times. The greens are outstanding, but too fast for the type of course it is.

Still 8 or 9 fantastic holes , but a tough tough walk.

Food in clubhouse was only OK and a strange twist when food more expensive than golf.

I enjoyed the day, but it could be me getting older or poorer at golf . The place is gruesome when things not going well. 4 years on from above post.

I'd say I'll be back to get my own back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

To give you a tip . look up course card and hit an iron / 220 yard club as much as possible.

It is a short easy course if you just tip it around fairways.

was too late before I told myself this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Wouldn't be a big fan of the place. Some stunning views all the same but it's like they squeezed in a golf course where there wasn't room to do so. Blainroe, down the road, is a much better track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Wouldn't be a big fan of the place. Some stunning views all the same but it's like they squeezed in a golf course where there wasn't room to do so. Blainroe, down the road, is a much better track.

Completely agree, fairways very close together. Blainroe is a great course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Blainroe, down the road, is a much better track.

Hmmm, I wouldn't agree with "much better". It's completely different.

My preference is for Wicklow. It's more interesting, more thrilling. Yes, fairways are close together so it can be dangerous, it can play very short and bounces can be unpredictable. Everybody laments about the 'climbs' on the back nine - are we pushing trolleys or zimmerframes here - but it's a great day out and I haven't played on greens that good this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Playing here Saturday. Hopefully the forecast stays the same.

Anyone been out this season? Place in good shape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Playing here Saturday. Hopefully the forecast stays the same.

Anyone been out this season? Place in good shape?

Member so perhaps biased... the course is in very good shape. The greens are really good and already rolling very fast. There is currently placing everywhere but it should be back to proper golf for the coming weekend. Placing should have been removed last weekend as the course is quite dry and no boggy muddy areas like I have seen at other courses recently.

We were re-designing our 16th green and have had a poor quality temporary green in place but your timing is good as the new green is due to be opened this weekend. The cold weather delayed the opening by over a month unfortunately.

Forecast is looking great for the bank holiday weekend so hopefully you will enjoy your round.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just home after an enjoyable round here today.

Views were breath taking, course was in good nick and the greens were very good although there were an awful lot of pitch marks (fixed at least 2 per hole myself). We got stuck behind an awfully slow four ball who lost three holes on the group in front of them by the 18th. Unfortunately they wouldn't let us play through but you get those days.

I played quite poorly up to the 13th with everything going left, but had a decent finish. Highlight of my round was hitting the last par 5 in two and making a birdie (15th I think).

I would say I'd go back and I think I'd enjoy it a bit more the second time as I would actually have an idea of where I should be hitting the ball off the tee.

Advertisement