Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Continental Bread - Limerick

• 10-09-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just back from two weeks in France and like many others, loved the bread and would love to be able to get something close here in Limerick.
    All the shops there, Auchan, Carrefour, L.Eclerc etc have so many varieties and its so easy to choose any kind of bread and it tastes lovely but here, outside of the tuscan rolls in lidl, there isn't any good bread that I am aware of.
    Can anyone help me by suggesting somewhere that does good continental type bread?
    I am even thinking of checking out the local polish shop on way home from work as I know they eat a lot of bread so should have good standards.

Thanks
    irish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Some of the bread from the Polish Shops is quite nice especially the Rye based stuff. I like the Wild Onion Bakeshop's bread but its more American style.
    I would also be interested in finding some new outlets for bread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Some of the bread from the Polish Shops is quite nice especially the Rye based stuff. I like the Wild Onion Bakeshop's bread but its more American style.
    I would also be interested in finding some new outlets for bread!

Where is that place? - Wild Onion?

Edit, got it. Those are the guys who used to have the little cafe near market.
    Might drop in tomorrow to buy some so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP also have a look for the white sage bakery. I used to deal with the owners and they actually got a french baker over to keep the authenticity as much as possible. The used to own The White Sage restaraunt but i think they gave it up.

No sure where they actauly sell the bread now but a quick google might lend some results.

Ps I received a lot of bread as thank you for doing favours and it was insanely good. Proper authentic french loaf, makes the stuff in dunnes and tesco look like muck.

Thanks DJ, I sent them a contact us from their website so will see what comes back from them.
    Let you all know how it goes in case someone searches this thread in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Did you try Superquinn? Their bread is very close to French bread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ironic username.

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    Did you try Superquinn? Their bread is very close to French bread

I haven't eaten it but seen it and it looks like that hard crusty type bread - you know the cheap tasting fluffy white stuff.
    I'll wait to hear from white sage and if nothing comes by end of today, i'll ring them to find out where they sell it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I haven't eaten it but seen it and it looks like that hard crusty type bread - you know the cheap tasting fluffy white stuff.
    I'll wait to hear from white sage and if nothing comes by end of today, i'll ring them to find out where they sell it
    We are excited to announce our new Bakery to Limerick The White Sage Artizan Bakery,we only use bio/-organic Flour direct from a French mill ,using traditional methods which are hand crafted and available to Limerick Milk Market.Hope to see you there Friday or Saturday

According to White Sage's website they are in the Milk market every Friday/Saturday

Got a baguette today in wild onion across from strand hotel. Its lovely. Your one is full of chat in there too. They have a schedule though so do different things on different days. Cinnamon rolls on sunday :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Got a baguette today in wild onion across from strand hotel. Its lovely. Your one is full of chat in there too. They have a schedule though so do different things on different days. Cinnamon rolls on sunday :-)

Ruth is a Limerick institution at this stage, their wholemeal loaves are the bomb. Check them out on facebook or twitter for daily updates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement