Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year house-trained dog starting to wee in living room

• 10-09-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,
    Hopefully someone can give me a bit of advice. I have a 5 year old labrador, who has been house trained since I got him as a puppy. He NEVER has soiled the house since this and would always come to wake me up at night if he needed to go out. Recently he has started to wee on the rug in my living room at night time. It wont happen every night but I'm getting concerned now as it is so out of the ordinary for him. Any ideas what could be the reason?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

First thing I'd suggest is a trip to the vet to see if there's anything going on medically, he could have a UTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MildredW

I has thought this myself and I will bring him. But I'm thinking its more behavioral related as I was away for a weeks holidays last week and my sister had him. While he was with her he had no accidents during the night and was fine for the first few nights at home. The last two nights he has started doing it again. I have let him out to go (and made sure he actually was) just before I go to bed too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Any sudden or unusual change in behaviour must be investigated by a vet before going down the behaviour route. There is absolutely no point in any conjecture here until you have definitively ruled out a health problem with your vet (and it may not necessarily be a urinary tract problem, I've known dogs to pee on the rug because of toothache).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is he drinking more than normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

My 6 year old king charles started weeing in the house at night out of the blue a few months ago. Brought her to the vet and it was an UTI.. a course of antibiotics sorted it..
    Just try to get a urine sample to bring to the vets with you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 MildredW

Thanks for all your replies. I have made an appointment with the vet for later today so hopefully both me and the labby get some answers soon. Thanks again.

Advertisement