Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Belgium win the world cup?

• 10-09-2013 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

On paper they are better than some of the usual 'pre tournament favorites', the only thing that could be their downfall is expectations, few small countries would have this expectancy to deliver(not necessarily win it) but expectancy must be for them to at least reach quarters. I think they have stronger teams than both Holland and Portugal. They have a top notch goalkeeper, a strong big team but also with technical players. The ingredients are there and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the final. They are better than the Dutch team of 2010 anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No, not yet.

Backed them EW for the euros and will probably bet on them to do well but not win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

They have everything except the pedigree, and as much as this can only have a psychological effect, I still think it'll count against them next year. Maybe the Euros is where they'll peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

no i don't think so
    lots of talented players
    but they don't have any big players in there squad that have experience winning big trophies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cant see them winning the world cup but if they do reach the knock out stages in 2014 I think it would set them up for a good run in Euro 2016.In the last 2 years a good few of their players have moved to big clubs which should help their development by playing at the top end of European football.
    I wouldn't count them any better than the Dutch team of 2010, they might reach that level but I don't think they are there yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think 2016 is a lot more realistic. They're still a very young team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not a chance. Last eight maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Can they? Of course they can but I doubt very much that they will.

As people have said previous, it maybe to soon for them, the Euros in 2016 will be a great chance for a lot of their young players to have a major tournament behind them in the form of the WC14 which will stand to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Not even close.

We're good against mediocre to bad teams, watch us play the likes of Spain, Germany, Italy,... and the weaknesses will be exploited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2016 Euro's,been backing them here and there for small money at good prices for a while.
    25's,28's and 33's for a 5er each,will continue to put small money on them for another while too

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Not even close.

We're good against mediocre to bad teams, watch us play the likes of Spain, Germany, Italy,... and the weaknesses will be exploited.
    What do you think are the main weaknesses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

On paper they've probably got a first 11 that's in the top 5 in the world. In another 4 years when players like Hazard have started to reach their peaks they could be one of the best.

A bit too soon for them, I think.
    A couple of tournaments to battle-harden them and they could well make a challenge for the Euros or the WC over the next 8 years.

Of course it depends on who they're drawn against too. An easier group and easier first knockout round draw and they could suddenly find themselves in the last 16 or 8.

They'd be a decent bet for the semis, or would've been before everyone copped on that they're actually rather good. I'd imagine that their odds have dropped over the past year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

France would be a great shout. A lot of great players, most of them young as well.

Lloris
    Koscielny
    Sakho
    Varane
    Pogba
    Matuidi
    Ribery
    Nasri
    Giroud
    Benzema
    Gomis

yabadabado wrote: »

Experience, some of our players are good in mid-level European teams but that's it.

A lot of people focus on Hazard, Kompany,... but we also have very mediocre players like Ciman who still get called up.

A few injuries in for example the defence and we could be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Think this WC is to soon, Also climate will have a big factor IMHO.Like other posters have a few small bets for the next euros.
    However it would be fantasy to see a smallish country win it ,would be great for the game , If/when Ireland don't make it ,Think they be a lot of people adopting them for the duration of the Finals.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Experience, some of our players are good in mid-level European teams but that's it.

A lot of people focus on Hazard, Kompany,... but we also have very mediocre players like Ciman who still get called up.

A few injuries in for example the defence and we could be in trouble.

Within the next 5/6 years Belgium should have a group of players that are
    playing for top clubs and are at an age (26 to 32) where they will have plenty of experience and with some luck could go far in a major tournament.

I agree with you regarding injuries,could be a huge set back and the squad mightn't have the dept of other nations but if Belgium could field their best XI for a full tournament they could go far.
    I dont know enough about the squad but the players I do know and have watched would give the team a very strong base but probably a little short to go all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

France would be a great shout. A lot of great players, most of them young as well.

Lloris
    Koscielny
    Sakho
    Varane
    Pogba
    Matuidi
    Ribery
    Nasri
    Giroud
    Benzema
    Gomis

France are having a hard time of late i read, haven't scored in 5 hours of football and benzema hasn't scored in forever for them too it seems.

As for Belgium, id agree on the feeling of it being a tournament too soon for em. They've a young squad, a very good one but lacks experience at top international level. Euro 2016 could well be their time. They also dont really have any full backs, they play alderwiereld at rb and vertongen at lb i think, they're fairly stacked at cb as well as other areas of the pitch. Exciting times for belgian football once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not better than Holland or Portugal...

yabadabado wrote: »

Average full backs. It's no coincidence the dominant teams in recent years have had very strong full backs. Alves, Lahm, Evra, Cole and even Lichsteiner, have all been hugely important for their respective clubs. Alderweireld is a good player but not world class.

Full backs are hugely overlooked by many fans but really important cog in the machine of any dominant team.

Spanish national team being a notable exception, Arbeloa and Capdevilla were no great shakes but Alba and Carajaval are a big, big step up for them in that area.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lloris
    Koscielny
    Sakho
    Varane
    Pogba
    Matuidi
    Ribery
    Nasri
    Giroud
    Benzema
    Gomis
    Pretty average group by French standards to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

On paper, as was said before, the squad and team look really good.

Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Verthonghen, Vermaelen, Fellaini, Witsel, Defour, Hazard, De Bruyne, Benteke

With Mignolet, Van Buyten, Dembele, Mirallas, Lukaku, Mertens, Chadli.

But:

1) The defense doesn't have that great a set of backups. There's Van Buyten, Lombaerts and I guess Gillet isn't awful but players like Ciman aren't on the same level. Plus there aren't fullbacks. I know most of the good CB's are able to play FB and decent going forward, but having proper FB's would be an awful lot better.

2) The team hasn't had a lot of stability - 5 different coaches since 2009 and the squad lacks big tournament experience.

3) Belgium#'s squad has said to be divided in the past by political issues. IDK how much this remains the case but it can't have gone away completely.

G.K. wrote: »

Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Verthonghen, Vermaelen, Fellaini, Witsel, Defour, Hazard, De Bruyne, Benteke

But:

1) The defense doesn't have that great a set of backups. There's Van Buyten, Lombaerts and I guess Gillet isn't awful but players like Ciman aren't on the same level. Plus there aren't fullbacks. I know most of the good CB's are able to play FB and decent going forward, but having proper FB's would be an awful lot better.

2) The team hasn't had a lot of stability - 5 different coaches since 2009 and the squad lacks big tournament experience.

3) Belgium#'s squad has said to be divided in the past by political issues. IDK how much this remains the case but it can't have gone away completely.

I think your third point is actually pretty much gone completely.

And that is 100% the cause of guys like Kompany, Van Buyten, Hazard, Lukaku, Benteke,...

I must say thought that the Belgian FA has done their best too, the so-called 'Red Devil Challenges' have shown that this team is exactly that: A team.

They often interact with the fans and the media as a group, not just a few players and the rest being left out.

Ironically, yesterday a Belgian newspaper claimed that the national team is more Belgian than our government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

That's good to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Who wants to support Belgium for the WC given that Ireland wont be there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Heres the thing. Plenty of golden generations have come and gone without making any impact. Figos Portugal springs to mind, as well as countless talented Spainish teams, and not forgetting England teams that went nowhere.

For Hazard, Kompany and Benteke, read Beckham, Ferdinand and Owen, and what did they win?

You can make a list of Belgium names that looks promising on paper, but as it stands they have shown absolutely nothing to suggest they will challenge for the world cup. Most of their star names haven't even dominated a club level yet never mind at international level. Up front they are relying on Benteke and Lukkaku, but these players have only one good season worth talking about.

They have a promising squad, but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

No chance. Possibly in 2016 or 2018 but not next year. Reasons why being:

1) Excessive hype. They have not even qualified for a major tournament since 2002 and the last time they did anyway decent was 1986. The hysteria behind the team has already become overwhelming after simply qualifying ,albeit impressively (it is not 100 percent certain yet but just for argument's sake we'll assume it's going to happen). This is bound to have an effect on the players, similar to what the Brazilian squad will face, but for different reasons. The hype in England is obvious as so many of the players play in the Premier League, but the only real world-class side they have managed to beat for many years is the Netherlands and that was in a friendly.

2) Lack of experience at this level. The squad for next year will likely include at most two players who have participated in major tournaments before, i.e. Daniel Van Buyten and Timmy Simons. This means there is an entire squad's worth of players who won't have any idea of what being at a high-pressure competition entails, not just on a sporting level, but also on a simple human one. Being cooped up for several weeks with different individuals with whom you may or not get along with is far different to being away for five days on international duty.

3) Lack of goals in the side. This may seem somewhat absurd, given how Benteke and Lukaku have been standouts in the Premier League last year, but the fact remains at international level, they have never really been as effective. In my opinion the team does not play directly enough sometimes and I always feel the Belgians in general can never cut loose and really hammer opposition teams, as opposed to how Germany, Holland or even England do in matches where they are clearly on top. They have been very consistent in the qualifying campaign, but getting crucial goals in the knock-out phases could well be tricky for them. Mind you, this has been Belgium's problem for as long as I can remember, the 30 goal international record has just been doubled by Robbie Keane for instance.

4) Something missing in the final third. Again, this may seem a little similar to the previous point, but despite having an extremely efficient and well-drilled side, I feel they are missing some creativity. I mentioned in a previous post how until Kevin De Bruyne came into the side, how they tended to pass the ball around hypnotically at times, but not actually create that many chances. Should he get injured, I would fear for the team. Even though Eden Hazard is clearly a world-class player, I still feel he has not quite shown his true potential with the national side (even though he has been a lot better in the last year or so). Perhaps some of the players coming through can bring this much-needed spark, but I suspect the Brazil World Cup will come too soon for them.

5) Full-backs issue. I think it has been covered well enough already so I don't need to go into details.

6) Climate and the considerable distance from home. Again, this may seem a little bit clutching at straws, but a European team has still never won a championship in South America. Whether Belgium can change all this by not letting the weight of history get to them and breeze insouciantly into the tournament with not a care in the world, I am not so sure. See point 1). Plus their location will make a big difference. In the tropical northern areas of Brazil, most European teams will find it tough going, not just Belgium.

Obviously the big advantages they will have is their fantastic squad of players at the moment, 3-5 of whom are really exceptional. Plus the fact that even though they are overrated at the moment, when it comes down to it most pundits won't back them to win the whole thing, which will take some pressure off. I would be very hopeful the squad can prove me wrong, but I think many of the above points will prove their undoing (on this occasion at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

G.K. wrote: »

But:

3-5-2 formation would seem to suit them more so really. are they set as 4-4-2?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

This is like the third or fourth thread on this topic and I'm fairly sure it's same OP in at least one other of those threads as well.

To answer the thread, no.

Pretty average group by French standards to be honest.

Talent wise? No.

Team chemistry is their issue. If Blanc wanted away from the NT, that says a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

IMO Belgium are stronger than your average dark horse but not up there with the real likely competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

A South American country will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    This is like the third or fourth thread on this topic and I'm fairly sure it's same OP in at least one other of those threads as well.

To answer the thread, no.

Tis getting a bit annoying alright.

dahat wrote: »
    2016 Euro's,been backing them here and there for small money at good prices for a while.
    25's,28's and 33's for a 5er each,will continue to put small money on them for another while too

Why just not just stick 50 quid down on them and be done with it instead of sprinkling 5 quid here and there with their odds dwindling :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think people think more of them because they all play in the Premiership too.

SantryRed wrote: »

Most definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Talent wise? No.

Team chemistry is their issue. If Blanc wanted away from the NT, that says a lot.

Yeah they have some good individuals but the attitude in the camp is rotten. I'd also play Pogba & Kondogbia in the senior team(think I seen the former play for the U21's despite being the best CM France have).
    I like Belgium but just don't see the level of talent at the highest level to win the WC if i'm honest. I'd have them around France, Colombia and maybe the dutch(who are likely to implode again just on the back of having the confrontational Van Gaal in charge).
    A bit like Serbia & Ivory Coast in the past they are being built up for doing very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

SantryRed wrote: »

Probably although if they can deal with the pressure that would obviously gather should they progress I could see them in a final against Spain or Brazil. Belgium are capable of beating anyone but they have no winning experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Id put money on Belgium to win the world cup.

Im sure the odds would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

If you're after a dark horse, Colombia's the one to go for.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Yeah they have some good individuals but the attitude in the camp is rotten. I'd also play Pogba & Kondogbia in the senior team(think I seen the former play for the U21's despite being the best CM France have).
    I like Belgium but just don't see the level of talent at the highest level to win the WC if i'm honest. I'd have them around France, Colombia and maybe the dutch(who are likely to implode again just on the back of having the confrontational Van Gaal in charge).
    A bit like Serbia & Ivory Coast in the past they are being built up for doing very little.

I think Pogba has played for the senior side a few times already.

edit - tonight will be his 3rd cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Need a few more players, namely full backs. Think Brazil will win this World Cup, usual suspects will be close.

Speaking of dark horses, Switzerland.

Lot of tidy players; Lichsteiner, Behrami, Inler, Xhaka, Shaqiri, Seferovic

Not saying they'll win obviously but could cause a few upsets.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Speaking of dark horses, Switzerland.

Lot of tidy players; Lichsteiner, Behrami, Inler, Xhaka, Shaqiri, Seferovic

Not saying they'll win obviously but could cause a few upsets.

Have them noted for the Euros myself for a future bet. World Cup is too early.

Should add Sommer to that list of players. Also need a commanding CB or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I think Pogba has played for the senior side a few times already.

edit - tonight will be his 3rd cap.

Scored tonite too. G'man Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I could see them reaching the level of Czech Republic in 2004 but never really going over the top. Maybe a cheeky final in a Euros or third place in Russia/Qatar, but not becoming world champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

No, too many premier league players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

They are fast becoming the mug punt of next years WC. They are quickly filling the role of 'fashionable outsider' and thus are becoming a stupid price (will get shorter also), with Holland, Portugal or even England with comparable or superior squads, as well as tournament experience, and are much bigger prices. The squad itself is overhyped here because of Premier league familiarity. It's going to have to be a truly excellent European side to win in South America, and at this stage Spain and Germany are the only true contenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Well, they've made it and more than likely will have dropped only 2 points in qualifying depending on what happens against Wales on Tuesday night. I hope they do well next Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah dark horses, but there's always a dark horse, isn't there.

Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Really dont think Belgium will win or make the final, but itd be great to see them doing well.. I think theyl certaintly be the neutrals choice.

They are inexperienced yet, but lets remember they have been brilliant in qualifiying and that must count for something.

At a major tournament, im not sure the best team always wins, so maybe if the Belgians strike up a bit of form at the right time they could win it, but its unlikely.

They are 20/1 etc for a reason!

• Advertisement
Advertisement