Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-direct website?

Options
  • 10-09-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭

Hi
    If I have an old website, lets say mel123.ie and thats hosted with eircom, its an old out of date site
    Ive since got say mel123a.com which is fully functioning

I want to divert the old site mel123.ie to mel123a.com (if a user types www.mel123.ie they automatically divert to mel123a.com)
    What do I need to do and should it cost me much? Will eircom do it, or the hosts of my new site? I know obviously I could ring, but Id rather know a little about what I should be talking about before I ring either :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Google "301 redirect"

It's very easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks so much for the reply, but I dont think thats something I can do, I am currently using someone else to do all the work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

mel123 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the reply, but I dont think thats something I can do, I am currently using someone else to do all the work

Ask them to do it? They can probably even do it through the control panel of your domain registrar.

Or if you've a nice registrar, you could ask them to forward it for you. Takes less than 5 mins. They'll probably do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

also if you own the original name mel123.ie

you can just change what url that points to there might be a small charge for that. it can get finicky depending on the hosting.

but yes that is easily done. I have done it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Evennia

If you have access to your new url's control panel (and you still own - kept up the renewal of the old domain name or url) you can 'park' the domain under the new one as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement