Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Years Later

Options
  • 10-09-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

Just over two years ago I moved out of a house and after a couple of months of trying to get my deposit back I finally gave up due to getting a new job and pure laziness, I kept getting told I would receive the cheque in a couple of days.

Therefore I was wondering do I have any case in looking to receive my deposit back now or have I left it to long.

Thanks,
    kjgf123

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

yes you have a case. However proving it after two years will be difficult. the LL could just say he returned it and with that being said it would be hard for the PRTB to side against that as the obvious question would be why would you leave it so long to lodge a dispute if your claim was genuine.

Im not disputing that it is btw just trying to look at it from a tribunals perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kjgf123

Thanks was thinking that.

Just a bit more information its not a landlord per say but a letting company who have a bit of a reputation for doing this.

Again with proving whether they paid or not, they actually don't pay in cash but pay in cheque / bank transfer so would I be wrong in assuming that they should have a record of payment / non payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

kjgf123 wrote: »
    Thanks was thinking that.

Just a bit more information its not a landlord per say but a letting company who have a bit of a reputation for doing this.

Again with proving whether they paid or not, they actually don't pay in cash but pay in cheque / bank transfer so would I be wrong in assuming that they should have a record of payment / non payment.

possibly. Its worth the pittance to raise a dispute and find out. Little to lose and a lot to gain.

Advertisement