Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparation Advice Thread

• 10-09-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,016 ✭✭✭✭

Just a few notes to make sure you're ready and set to get going upon release of the game:

- The game has an 8GB approx install. This might take around 30mins on PS3 anyway (based off 5GB taking roughly 20mins to install on other games I've played in the past). Use this time to go to the bathroom, get some drinks or snacks, sniff the game manual and set yourself up comfortably
    - Make sure to check your machine beforehand to ensure you have enough free space for the install. Any console with 80GB or less should definitely be checked as game installs from your other games may have taken up a sizeable chunk of the space.
    - Delete Game Data from old games you no longer have or play if you're tight on space. Old games can be reinstalled at any point in the future anyway.
    - If you're on 360 and don't have enough space (eg. if you have the 4GB XBox model), you can install the game to a USB key or external hard drive. This will need to be plugged in any time you play the game though, so it might be best to buy a minimum 16GB USB stick and have it only be for the GTAV install.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Penn wrote: »
    Just a few notes to make sure you're ready and set to get going upon release of the game:

- The game has an 8GB approx install. This might take around 30mins on PS3 anyway (based off 5GB taking roughly 20mins to install on other games I've played in the past). Use this time to go to the bathroom, get some drinks or snacks, sniff the game manual and set yourself up comfortably

I knew I wasn't the only one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

sniff the game manual .

I thought I was the only one :pac:

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one :pac:

Nope, essential part of buying any new games or consoles. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

19c noodles in Aldi. Get some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Fridge stocked with beer, phone off, days off work booked, girlfriend dumped....

Prepared!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Holsten wrote: »
    Fridge stocked with beer, phone off, days off work booked, girlfriend dumped....

Prepared!

Heh.

'Prepare to abandon social, family and work life!'

'PREPARED!'

I genuinely can't wait to get past the intro, maybe do the first mission and then have the map to myself (at least what's unlocked from the beginning) oh the possibilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

krudler wrote: »
    I genuinely can't wait to get past the intro, maybe do the first mission and then have the map to myself (at least what's unlocked from the beginning) oh the possibilities

Don't worry, it was confirmed we'll have the whole map to ourselves from the very start ;)

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Don't worry, it was confirmed we'll have the whole map to ourselves from the very start ;)

Really? no "bridges out" stuff? ehrmagerd!

krudler wrote: »
    Really? no "bridges out" stuff? ehrmagerd!

Yep, not sure if it's a good thing or bad..

Guess that means we'll be able to steal a plane from the airport straight away.
    At least gta online doesn't come out for 2 weeks after that...my head would explode if that was available first thing.

• Advertisement

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Yep, not sure if it's a good thing or bad..

Guess that means we'll be able to steal a plane from the airport straight away.
    At least gta online doesn't come out for 2 weeks after that...my head would explode if that was available first thing.

They did the right thing staggering it, let everyone settle into the map, get the single player story done and then rejuvenate interest again with the online a few weeks later, clever R*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

This thread is probably most relevant to my query.

Is the Blimp a DLC?

If it is, is it possible to download it on to usb stick via laptop and then add it to my ps3... the joys of crap internet! No Gta online for me. :(

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Its out next Monday night right?

My plan is to sit down with a pot of coffee, make a sandwich and a kitkat and play till about half 2/3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Its out next Monday night right?

My plan is to sit down with a pot of coffee, make a sandwich and a kitkat and play till about half 2/3.

Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Monday night, Tuesday morning

Wish I had time to play it when it comes out.

Really envying those taking time off work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm off on the Tuesday and Wednesday and not in till 2 on Thursday :D few pizzas and plenty of red bull, sorted!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Depends on how the data is dumped to the hard drive. Thousands upon thousands of small, individual files can take ages (like Gran Tourismo 5, nightmare that it was!), if it's a few hundred bigger files it won't be nearly as long (Tekken Tag Tournament 2 certainly wasn't that long, despite being an 8Gb install itself). I do intend to have a pizza in the oven and a serious manual reading/sniffing session.
    - If you're on 360 and don't have enough space (eg. if you have the 4GB XBox model), you can install the game to a USB key or external hard drive. This will need to be plugged in any time you play the game though, so it might be best to buy a minimum 16GB USB stick and have it only be for the GTAV install.

I'd say get a stick bigger than 16Gb - while the 'play' disc isn't a mandatory install, you can install that too to make the console so much quieter, but a 16Gb stick might just stop short of the size of the game.

Make sure you get one with a fast enough R/W speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,016 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Depends on how the data is dumped to the hard drive. Thousands upon thousands of small, individual files can take ages (like Gran Tourismo 5, nightmare that it was!), if it's a few hundred bigger files it won't be nearly as long (Tekken Tag Tournament 2 certainly wasn't that long, despite being an 8Gb install itself). I do intend to have a pizza in the oven and a serious manual reading/sniffing session.

I'd say get a stick bigger than 16Gb - while the 'play' disc isn't a mandatory install, you can install that too to make the console so much quieter, but a 16Gb stick might just stop short of the size of the game.

Make sure you get one with a fast enough R/W speed!

Excellent points.

Also, make sure your USB stick is formatted correctly for use on XBox360. If it's not, formatting it will delete everything on it, so make sure there's nothing on it first.

I think you can format it directly on the 360 under the Memory Settings but someone else might be able to answer that better than I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'll be collecting my copy on Tuesday morning at 9am, will go to work for the most unproductive day in history, get home at 6:30...put the disc in straight away and start install, then have dinner and put kids and wife to bed...then enter the magical world of GTA until about 12 or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Tuesday

Many shops having midnight launches so it'll be Monday/Tuesday morning when people get their copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Decided against winging it at a midnight release, so ordered from gamesnash. First ever time paying for anything other than standard post.

I want a clear run of the day, so I'll have the dinner in the morning at half eight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Excellent points.

Also, make sure your USB stick is formatted correctly for use on XBox360. If it's not, formatting it will delete everything on it, so make sure there's nothing on it first.

I think you can format it directly on the 360 under the Memory Settings but someone else might be able to answer that better than I.

Yep, in the system menu under storage if the usb device is plugged in the console will offer to configure it. Be warned though this will format the usb device so everything on it will be deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Fridge full of beer and food. Time booked off work,missus gone to work and hopefully lashing rain outside so I dont feel guilty about sitting inside all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I need a thorough shopping checklist so I can be prepared for several days
    of minimal movement.

Also, one of these. :o
    Toilet.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

So glad I have a 120 GB PS3 and dont need to worry about external drives :D

Just gave my brother a warning to check his 360 to make sure it's big enough.

If tesco have any sense they'll have rakes of pizza, doritos, fizzy drinks and the like near where they have GTAV available. Hell if you had the means you could arrive near the queue of any gamestop opening for midnight and make a killing flogging food to people in line. Anyone know someone who has a chip van or something? get em on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    So glad I have a 120 GB PS3 and dont need to worry about external drives :D

Just gave my brother a warning to check his 360 to make sure it's big enough.

I have a 320gb slim and it's packed because of psplus, going to start deleting stuff soon.

Also how do Xbox owners deal with stuff like this.

I have a 320gb slim and it's packed because of psplus, going to start deleting stuff soon.

Also how do Xbox owners deal with stuff like this.

They also delete stuff ;)

The 360 S model came out in what, 2010? So most of the 360s sold in the last 3 or so years have at least a 250Gb hard drive, and if you only have the 4Gb model you can whack anything up to a 32Gb USB stick in there.

Funnily enough, I've found my PS3 is actually rammed full of music and video files as it's way more open then the 360 in that regard and serves as a semi decent media player. My 360 just seems to have game installs.

• Advertisement

Yip, it's super easy, quick and straight forward.

Advertisement