Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoking in a car solely used for work

• 10-09-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Quick question, I work in a job that involves me taking clients out in a car that is supplied by the company I work for, specifically for the purpose of taking clients to appointments, school etc.
    One of the clients smokes and is allowed to smoke in the company cars. As the car is technically my place of work while I am driving it, can I refuse to allow the client to smoke in the car. Some of the other staff in the company how no issues with her smoking in the car as the are smokers themselves. I however have an issue with this as I am a non-smoker and do not want to put my health at risk so she can smoke in the car.

Thanks in Advance

Clashmore

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

Clashmore wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Quick question, I work in a job that involves me taking clients out in a car that is supplied by the company I work for, specifically for the purpose of taking clients to appointments, school etc.
    One of the clients smokes and is allowed to smoke in the company cars. As the car is technically my place of work while I am driving it, can I refuse to allow the client to smoke in the car. Some of the other staff in the company how no issues with her smoking in the car as the are smokers themselves. I however have an issue with this as I am a non-smoker and do not want to put my health at risk so she can smoke in the car.

Thanks in Advance

Clashmore

I thought that the ban included company cars.
    Since 29 March 2004, the Irish Government has implemented a ban [on] smoking in the workplace.

This means that with effect from that date (29 March 2004) smoking is forbidden in enclosed places of work.

This includes office blocks, various buildings, public houses/bars, restaurants and company vehicles (cars and vans).
    http://labspace.open.ac.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=427561

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't know about how legal this is. If I'm driving you obey my rules and I don't allow smoking in cars, got an ex smokers car and had to scrub it from the headliner to removing the seats to get at the carpet below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Clashmore wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Thanks in Advance

Clashmore

The Public Health (Tobacco) Act, 2002 borrowed the definition of "place of work" from the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 1989. That Act included in its definition of a "place of work", a "vehicle, vessel or aircraft".

Your colleague or client cannot smoke in a car which you are required to share with that colleague or client for the purpose of your employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Legally, the client should not smoke in the car as it is your workplace, I know rules are regularly bent to keep clients happy, but if you don't want her smoking tell her you would prefer if she didn't, most smokers are understanding of this and will refrain, if she doesn't then tell her it's you car and she can't smoke in it.

Your boss may give you hassle for upsetting the client but ultimately will have to back you, so stick to your guns, do you have any conditions which could be affected by the smoke such as asthma, if you do use them to your advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Legally, the client should not smoke in the car as it is your workplace, I know rules are regularly bent to keep clients happy, but if you don't want her smoking tell her you would prefer if she didn't, most smokers are understanding of this and will refrain, if she doesn't then tell her it's you car and she can't smoke in it.

Your boss may give you hassle for upsetting the client but ultimately will have to back you, so stick to your guns, do you have any conditions which could be affected by the smoke such as asthma, if you do use them to your advantage.

My life being reduced by inhaling a poison would be the main condition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement