Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GNIB expires before oath taking is accomplished

• 10-09-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have received a letter requiring me to send €950 and my GNIB to the immigration or whatever the organisation is called(I get confused) for the citizenship thing. Now, I'm just waiting for the oath taking date letter as I have submitted my GNIB and the appropriate fee. I've heard rumours that the next oath taking is the 21st of october. So my problem is that my GNIB expires on the 30th of september and the permission to stay stamp on my passport is dated 30th of september, too. So even if I do receive that letter for the oath taking on 21st of october or not, either way, my GNIB/permit to stay will both be expired before I receive my Certificate of Naturalisation. What do I do? Do I need to renew anything? How can I renew if I don't have my GNIB anymore as I've submitted it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I can only suggest that you talk to them.

I suppose keep a copy (not original!) of your letter / document of acceptance with you at all times until you are fully signed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Victor wrote: »
    I can only suggest that you talk to them.

I suppose keep a copy (not original!) of your letter / document of acceptance with you at all times until you are fully signed up.

Ah. I guess I'd have to go to the immigration office tomorrow then. Do you think I should queue up for the GNIB desks or just ask information counter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

This happens all the time, GNIB just bridge the gap on your permission themselves.

The information counter are unlikely to be helpful if you want reassurance, go in the evening when it's quiet and get a ticket.

Thank you everyone. I got sorted. I went into the place earlier this morning at about 8am and there were about 20-30 people. Queued up for a ticket, the guy said as far as he knows, I need to renew(again, what could we renew?). So he gave me a ticket(was only number 10) and asked him that question so he said if I need to ask a question I need a ticket anyway so yeah. Went in, the guy said that I need to renew. So I ask him the same question yet again. So he thought about it for a second then sort of 'gave in'. He just told me that he will give me another permit to stay stamp for until the expiration of my passport which is December. Happy days.

Thanks a lot both you guys. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 trytilidie

Hi everyone,

I have received a letter requiring me to send €950 and my GNIB to the immigration or whatever the organisation is called(I get confused) for the citizenship thing. Now, I'm just waiting for the oath taking date letter as I have submitted my GNIB and the appropriate fee. I've heard rumours that the next oath taking is the 21st of october. So my problem is that my GNIB expires on the 30th of september and the permission to stay stamp on my passport is dated 30th of september, too. So even if I do receive that letter for the oath taking on 21st of october or not, either way, my GNIB/permit to stay will both be expired before I receive my Certificate of Naturalisation. What do I do? Do I need to renew anything? How can I renew if I don't have my GNIB anymore as I've submitted it?

dude im the exact same i sent mine away on the 16th of september there on monday and my gnib expires on the 29th of september , i was just thinking of this as well !!

• Advertisement

trytilidie wrote: »
    dude im the exact same i sent mine away on the 16th of september there on monday and my gnib expires on the 29th of september , i was just thinking of this as well !!

Well as said above, I went into the GNIB place at one of the quays and just told them the whole situation and they gave me the stamp. I wouldn't tell them that I 'need' the stamp and this and that. That just seems like you're a bit pushy and that you know-it-all so I would lay off that word 'need'. Just ask them what you should do.

If the person is confused, like my cashier was, and says, 'you need to renew', what you say is, 'I don't have my GNIB as I submitted it for my naturalisation'. Even if you've said that already, just tell him/her calmly.

Also, I brought receipts of the postal order/bank draft and the registered postage receipt of the mail with the payment. Stick them onto a blank sheet of paper(just to make it neat) and show it to the person.

Again, and I can't emphasise this enough, DO NOT BE PUSHY ABOUT ANYTHING. I feel that the people in there are very sensitive about these things and they could get annoyed at any time and they could just stop serving you and tell you whatever they want just to get rid of you. That's just my feeling though as I have had some bad experiences before. All of what I've said is just to be on the safe side as you wouldn't want to jeopardise anything over some silliness.

Hope you get your papers sorted. Let me know how it goes when you do go in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RickyRoss

anybody got a confirmed date for the ceremonies???
    and will they (naturalisation people) send the ceremony date letter regardless wether you have paid or not??

RickyRoss wrote: »
    anybody got a confirmed date for the ceremonies???
    and will they (naturalisation people) send the ceremony date letter regardless wether you have paid or not??

I got my letter yesterday for the 21st. You can't get a letter if you haven't paid, unfortunately. And if you've paid, it's still not guaranteed that you will get into the next ceremony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Again, and I can't emphasise this enough, DO NOT BE PUSHY ABOUT ANYTHING. I feel that the people in there are very sensitive about these things and they could get annoyed at any time and they could just stop serving you and tell you whatever they want just to get rid of you. That's just my feeling though as I have had some bad experiences before. All of what I've said is just to be on the safe side as you wouldn't want to jeopardise anything over some silliness.
    Unfortunate but true.

I can't think of any other agency of government where you so often have to try and charm people into acknowledging legal rights.

Unfortunate but true.

I can't think of any other agency of government where you so often have to try and charm people into acknowledging legal rights.

Yeah, it's quite annoying isn't it? Well at least now I don't have to go in there anymore. Never ever will I go in there willingly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Congratulations on your citizenship.:)

spurious wrote: »
    Congratulations on your citizenship.:)

Thanks! Been a very long wait. Very happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RickyRoss

I got my letter yesterday for the 21st. You can't get a letter if you haven't paid, unfortunately. And if you've paid, it's still not guaranteed that you will get into the next ceremony.

oooooh gawwwwd:eek:
    i better send the leeches there money asap i thought id get a letter regardless or pay at the ceremony nah?????

wow!

i better get a move on if i want to make the 21st

RickyRoss wrote: »
    oooooh gawwwwd:eek:
    i better send the leeches there money asap i thought id get a letter regardless or pay at the ceremony nah?????

wow!

i better get a move on if i want to make the 21st

Ah man. You'd want to do it as soon as possible. I paid around August second week hoping to get into the August 24th ceremony and I didn't get in. Hope things go different in your case though. God bless.

Advertisement