Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal man and payment

Options
  • 10-09-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

OK to cut a long story short.
    I am from a small town, the gf phone the COOP this morning and asked to have a bag of coal delivered.
    They landed with the coal at 4, she then discovered her purse is in the car which I have at work with me.

She then said she will pop up tomorrow and pay it if that is OK, the coal guy did not want to do this and stood for 10 mins explaining how he needs the cash, he then went back to his buddy in the truck and talk it over with him for 10 mins and later said OK leave up the cash in the morning.

Now gf phones me mortified at the ordeal, being that they know her, she is in fairly frequent and felt fairly uncomfortable with the whole thing...

Now it kind of made me laugh a little and I said "next time make sure you have the money to pay for things you get delivered"

That being said... As I spend money there I feel they should have acted a little better, I plan to tell them to call back and take the coal as I do not want it nor do I wish to deal with them any longer... As a consumer can I do this?

Can they refuse to accept it? Can they charge me for the delivery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The item was delivered. Payment is due.

If you now no longer want it, they can charge you a delivery cost.

Next time, have the money.

The delivery guy was caught in the middle. I don't think you could blame him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Like any purchase you can't just return it for a refund because both a change box mind. Nothing wrong with the product supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Interesting user name ;)

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

LOL - Yes

I will pay them tomorrow, I just want to have a b1tch and moan about it...

I know a few of the guys that work there....
    I will let them know I am p1ssed about the way they handled it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just pay it, then find another coalman, never had a problem with our coalman or milkman, always calls when my wife is out, i never have any money ,but never a problem ,"will catch you next time is always the answer".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The guy delivering it is just an employee - he has to give the story to his boss who may / may not believe him. they then need to take note of it and hope you come in tomorrow (not everyone is honest). Not worth the hassle for them, but because you are possibly a regular customer they are taking it on trust you will pay as agreed.

I'd pay and also thank them for their understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The problem is that a few yahoos screw it up for everyone, we dont do deliveries unless the coal is paid for, we have been caught out too many times having to go back and beg for the money that is due to you or simply having to go back a few times to get paid.

Ill pay you tomorrow is the oldest one in the book, you end up not been paid for your coal and the lose the customer as they wont come into the shop because they owe you money.

Delivery guy was just doing his job as he will prob get a bollocking for not getting paid on delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be fair, the delivery man is probably under pressure to balance his cash float every day, and balance his deliveries. By giving you credit for the coal, he's throwing his books out of order, and he may get heat from management over it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

coal man's books have to be right at the end of the day otherwise he can get in trouble, also if he allowed loads of people to do this then the coop could very quickly have a book of debt. I can tell you from experience not everyone is so good at honoring their word about paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

LOL - Yes

The delivery driver has already done your Girlfriend a favour - If you go complaining to his colleagues, there is a higher chance he will get in trouble for not delivering the coal without receiving payment.

Let it go, if you are still annoyed about it in a few days find a new Coal man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

That being said... As I spend money there I feel they should have acted a little better, I plan to tell them to call back and take the coal as I do not want it nor do I wish to deal with them any longer... As a consumer can I do this?

Going on recent history I'd say they would be a bit wary that there'd be no bag of coal waiting for them when they arrived out.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Do you remember when you had money and one or two of your friends would ask to borrow money but you knew full well they would not pay it back so you refused to lend it to them. This is the same thing expect the coal company knows everyone is being hit hard by the recession and may not get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

LOL - Yes

What have you to complain to them about?. Your Gf left the poor delivery man in the middle.
    You should be going in and apologising to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Everyone exaggerates...including your gf i'm sure. So 10 minutes was probably more like 1 minute. The delivery guy probably had to check with the driver, who probably had to ring the shop to get the OK to leave the coal without payment. Sounds like they did her a favour. Your gf was rightfully mortified as she should have checked that she had money to pay the bill. You aid you laughed about it...I would let it go at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sorry OP but the "don't you know who I am" attitude won't get you anywhere these days. If the delivery guy had put the coal back on the lorry would you have been on here complaining too? I would suggest you go in and pay and thank the staff for being so accommodating, I'd even be tempted to tip the driver tbh, he did you and your gf a huge favour and probably got in trouble over it. I actually can't believe you want to complain about that. There's no pleasing some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The Co-op are not going to get as stroppy about this as your are .

They want business ,and they want your business too.

Its the start of a season ,and of course a management decision , would be to tell the bellman to leave the coal on your premises ,and accept payment later.

They expect you to be back to buy more ,and pay on delivery .

You are entitled to go elsewhere for your coal supply ,but if you do decide to go back to this supplier for another bag next week , and the purse is once again in your ''other car '' then you cannot expect to receive any more favours from this supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

LOL - Yes

Give me a bun burger and I will pay you Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Now gf phones me mortified at the ordeal

you'd swear she had been mugged or something.

I also think that you got great service getting one bag of coal delivered to your door on the same day that you ordered it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

OP - you need a reality check. Your GF ordered something she didn't have the money to pay for - it was delivered the same day, and they even accepted deferred payment which is against their usual policy & delivery practice. WTF are you moaning about? They were sound if anything. Get real.

If my wife told me "I didn't have the money on me, so they rang their office and said it'd be cool to pay tomorrow" I'd be saying "that was sound of them - fair play" - not moaning like a child.

• Advertisement

Just to put this in perspective.

As i said I am from a small town, the coal guy is not just the coal guy, there is only a small number of people working there, two of which are basically neighbors to our farm.

I usually do not get coal delivered as we cut turf...

Yes I understand he did not have to leave the coal he could of said no, but instead he essentially embarrassed my 5 month pregnant girlfriend for the payment of a bag of coal...

Agreed this was her fault, she should of checked she had cash in the house but it was an honest mistake....

Being my parents own a farm I could not guess how much my family has spent in their over the years...

In my town i have watched a number of businesses fold in the last few years, now you might argue this is due to yahoo's not paying bags of coal, but the COOP if I was to really take it thick could lose a whole lot more in than the value of a bag a coal...

I won't do that of course but I think some small town businesses need to get out of the frame of mind that they are doing the consumer a favor...

Rant over :) GF paid for it today she would not allow me to go in :s

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

but the COOP if I was to really take it thick could lose a whole lot more in than the value of a bag a coal...

And by the sounds of things, you'd be massively inconveniencing yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

So the guy delivering the coal had no idea at all whether you were one of the good guys who would pay for the coal or one of the spanners who would 'forget' about paying for it. Yes it's embarrassing when you don't have the money to pay for something but it's not the fault of the delivery driver either

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Hope the (pregnant) wife is okay after all this. Sounds like quite an ordeal she was put through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I won't do that of course but I think some small town businesses need to get out of the frame of mind that they are doing the consumer a favor...

I know........... delivering without pre-payment, then leaving without payment.....

Hope the (pregnant) wife is okay after all this. Sounds like quite an ordeal she was put through.

#sarcasm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

GF paid for it today she would not allow me to go in :s

Is that because you were still angry at the coal man and might have caused a scene? :p

Just to put this in perspective.

As i said I am from a small town, the coal guy is not just the coal guy, there is only a small number of people working there, two of which are basically neighbors to our farm.

Yes I understand he did not have to leave the coal he could of said no, but instead he essentially embarrassed my 5 month pregnant girlfriend for the payment of a bag of coal...

Agreed this was her fault, she should of checked she had cash in the house but it was an honest mistake....

Being my parents own a farm I could not guess how much my family has spent in their over the years...

In my town i have watched a number of businesses fold in the last few years, now you might argue this is due to yahoo's not paying bags of coal, but the COOP if I was to really take it thick could lose a whole lot more in than the value of a bag a coal...

Rant over :) GF paid for it today she would not allow me to go in :s

But they did do you a do you a favour, they delivered 1 bag of coal to you on the day that you ordered it, when they arrived your girlfriend (it matters not a jot whether she is pregnant or not and what this has to do with anything is beyond me) was unable to pay for it.

they checked it out and in a gesture of good faith (maybe because your parents are good customers) they agree that you can drop the money in the following day.

So

You are not a regular customer of the co op, they drop 1 bag of coal to you clearly losing money on this huge order, give you credit which they don't usually do and you are still not happy? and now you allude to taking your parents custom away from them?

what more did you want them to do?

Shelflife wrote: »
    But they did do you a do you a favour, they delivered 1 bag of coal to you on the day that you ordered it, when they arrived your girlfriend (it matters not a jot whether she is pregnant or not and what this has to do with anything is beyond me) was unable to pay for it.

they checked it out and in a gesture of good faith (maybe because your parents are good customers) they agree that you can drop the money in the following day.

So

You are not a regular customer of the co op, they drop 1 bag of coal to you clearly losing money on this huge order, give you credit which they don't usually do and you are still not happy? and now you allude to taking your parents custom away from them?

what more did you want them to do?

Look if the guy just went, hmm OK well leave it up tomorrow then I would not have opened this thread, it was the 15 minute stand off outside the house that p1ssed me off.... (During which they blocked a neighbor from their drive who eventually had to tell the guy to move his truck) What did he have to gain from this?? She did not have the cash, it was not going to magically appear from thin air?? It was what it was, either say no and leave or say OK please leave it up later... Do not argue with a woman on the street....

As for the delivery, the coop is a few hundred yards from the house, the reason I never get it delivered is, if I need to get coal it is handier just to go up in the car literally take 5 mins....

I am a fairy regular customer on other goods just not coal...

What did he have to gain from this?

1. his job, he may have been expressly told under no circumstances are you to give credit, payment must be received.

2. he may have to pay for the coal himself and hope that you came in the following day.

If they make €2 on a bag of coal they are doing well, load ,drive, unload drive back even if it was on a bike it would cost more that €2.

look the lads hadn't the authority to give credit , the whole problem was caused because you didn't have a tenner in the house, don't take it out on the lads.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »
    What did he have to gain from this?

1. his job, he may have been expressly told under no circumstances are you to give credit, payment must be received.

2. he may have to pay for the coal himself and hope that you came in the following day.

If they make €2 on a bag of coal they are doing well, load ,drive, unload drive back even if it was on a bike it would cost more that €2.

look the lads hadn't the authority to give credit , the whole problem was caused because you didn't have a tenner in the house, don't take it out on the lads.

This is perhaps a valid reason only that i know who delivered it, the idea that the delivery guy was caught in the middle or had to fork out for it himself is just not the case.

Had I been here I am pretty sure I would have got a, no bother sure throw it up tomorrow....

But instead he decided go down the road of "stupid woman" I am not leaving until I get paid....

As I say, he could always of left and not delivered it... I would have actually have preferred that... Instead of still paying for the coal and have him be a d1ck to my girlfriend for him supposedly doing her a favour....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement