Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting an Industrial unit

Options
  • 10-09-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

looking for some advice and help with renting an industrial unit for a business.
    What should i look for and look out for? Pro's, Con's etc

What charges would there be after the monthly rent, ESB, Water and waste charges? I would have county council rates too? How would i go about paying these? I would be based in Meath

Insurance, I would be right in saying the insurance company would have to do a physical audit of the premises to value it with stock etc?

Do i need an engineers report or survey to take the building for a lease?

Any help, advice or experiences, would be fantastic and thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nipper banks

Hi,
    Generally, lease agreements provide for rent plus rates to be paid. Rates are in theory due to the local authority twice yearly, but you can negotiate a monthly DD or even longer terms.
    Are you getting any assistance for setting up a business from the development authorities?
    You will generally need insurance for byuilding, stock employers liability, public liability and product liability, all based on the relevent values.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Thank you for you help! :) am doing it alone

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

For a business to grow this is often the next step ad if your projections are good a necessary thing to do. However I would wait until absolutly necessary.

Certainly the insurance was the trickiest thing for us and cost the most. In order to rent we needed acceptable insurance and this just opened a hornets nest for us. We couldnt get insurance until we had a H&S assetment which was quite detailed reslting in a indept investigation in all our products to assure they were EC conpliant and a dozen other things which we needed to correct. The insurance also required monitored alarms for burglar and fire.

Not trying to frighten you and we managed to overcome all this but it is a part of renting a new premises which we don't realise until already on the road to signing the lease.

Best of luck with your venture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

If you plan on having office space then look at insulation and if there is a heating system included. I rented a place about 5 years ago with office space and a warehouse. In winter it was a fridge. Reception and offices were cold and drafty. Cost a fortune to heat and we only had access to electric heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brendan1983

hi i am looking for somewere in north dublin to rent for a tyre yard .. they seem hard to get one with passing trade that is big enough to store a container of tyres ..any ideas people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I'd have an interest in this too -although I won't be acting on it (if at all) for another year or so.

Say for a small industrial unit like this.

3 staff members. No public access. Type of business; distribution center.

What kind of figure would commercial insurance be?

Advertisement