Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics

• 10-09-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hey guys :)

I'm considering taking 9 subjects, I've decided on taking Applied Maths already (managed to sort it out with my principal so I can take it during school) and I'm considering taking Economics by myself. The reason I want to take it is because I'm looking for a certain amount of points and I'd like to have a strong backup in case one of the core subjects (English, Irish and Maths) don't go my way. Anyways that's the background.

I took JC business (Will bump tomorrow with my result; if it matters).

The main questions I have are as follows:

1. Is it possible to take by yourself (Is there any projects that must be done? Is it a subject that requires dedication and time; compared to english or maths for example?)
    - I will be taking this over 2 years, not taking it up in 6th year.
    2. What is the main constituents of the course? (Where can I find what's required for the exam? Anyone have any resources for it?)
    3. How do you guys find it?

Cheers, help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hey guys :)

I'm considering taking 9 subjects, I've decided on taking Applied Maths already (managed to sort it out with my principal so I can take it during school) and I'm considering taking Economics by myself. The reason I want to take it is because I'm looking for a certain amount of points and I'd like to have a strong backup in case one of the core subjects (English, Irish and Maths) don't go my way. Anyways that's the background.

I took JC business (Will bump tomorrow with my result; if it matters).

The main questions I have are as follows:

1. Is it possible to take by yourself (Is there any projects that must be done? Is it a subject that requires dedication and time; compared to english or maths for example?)
    - I will be taking this over 2 years, not taking it up in 6th year.
    2. What is the main constituents of the course? (Where can I find what's required for the exam? Anyone have any resources for it?)
    3. How do you guys find it?

Cheers, help would be appreciated :)

hey, honestly i do not see the point in doing 9 subjects! that is just overkill in my opinion, i understand that you want a 'strong back-up' but you would be better using your time to study 6-7 subjects,than wasting time doing 2 extra subjects just 'incase', you will only count 6 in the end-just my opinion
    i really liked economics, it is not too difficult ,i only had a year to do it so you should manage perfectly fine in two years, there is no project .
    it didn't take any more time than any of my other subjects maybe even a bit less.
    if you just get the exam papers you will see the exact layout and how questions are repeated every year, if you study from a book (i'd suggest positive economics) then just practise exam questions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    hey, honestly i do not see the point in doing 9 subjects! that is just overkill in my opinion, i understand that you want a 'strong back-up' but you would be better using your time to study 6-7 subjects,than wasting time doing 2 extra subjects just 'incase', you will only count 6 in the end-just my opinion
    i really liked economics, it is not too difficult ,i only had a year to do it so you should manage perfectly fine in two years, there is no project .
    it didn't take any more time than any of my other subjects maybe even a bit less.
    if you just get the exam papers you will see the exact layout and how questions are repeated every year, if you study from a book (i'd suggest positive economics) then just practise exam questions :)

I really want to challenge myself, plus I liked the economics sections in JC business, I've been talking to a friend about it (He's studying it in queens) and it seems interesting too.

Hmm, I'll take a look at the book and I'll get the papers for sure, thanks for your advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

dont do 9 subjects!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

I really want to challenge myself, plus I liked the economics sections in JC business, I've been talking to a friend about it (He's studying it in queens) and it seems interesting too.

Hmm, I'll take a look at the book and I'll get the papers for sure, thanks for your advice :)

The Economics section of the JC is very poor and undeveloped. Dont make a LC decision based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

dam man 9 subject is tuff i was doing 8 all higher and struggled but at the end got 7 As with a extra one that i didnt really need i now wish that i droped that subject and focused in my other subjects to make these a2s to a1s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

i did 8 HL and did 2 myself cause i knew i was so **** at biology and english i never focused on them and got As in my extra 2 :D

Advertisement