Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King's Dr Sleep

Options
  • 10-09-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

The much awaited Dr Sleep will be on the shelves on 24th September. Can;'t wait!! It's a sequel to The Shining and features little Danny from the Shining who has grown up and is working in a retirement home
    helping folk to pass over, according to one of Eason's staff

Comments

Ann22 wrote: »
    The much awaited Dr Sleep will be on the shelves on 24th September. Can;'t wait!! It's a sequel to The Shining and features little Danny from the Shining who has grown up and is working in a retirement home
    helping folk to pass over, according to one of Eason's staff
    Oh no, a sequel...!

If he wrote a sequel, I hope he was very sure it was a worthy addition to the story. They're very hard to get right, especially when you're talking about a sequel to a popular fiction near-classic like The Shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Looking forward to it immensely. Reading Joyland at the moment and really liking it... between that, 11/22/63, Duma Key, Under the Dome and the Wind Through the Keyhole, he's on a right good streak recently so hopefully this will continue to Dr Sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Positive reviews so far. I've only recently gotten into King in the past year. I've The Shining and Under The Dome read and am plodding along with The Stand (that's one long book!). Really enjoy the way he writes his characters and builds suspense. Dr. Sleep is next on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I found it rather disappointing to be honest. Won't say why because it'd include too many spoilers but I must second the Joyland recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

I'm just over halfway through and must admit I prefer it to The Shining!! It's not scary but I didn't think The Shining was either.
    am plodding along with The Stand (that's one long book!)

Keep at it Bacchus - I've read it at least 3 times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I wonder should I read the Shinning again before reading Dr Sleep? I haven't read the Shinning since I was a teenager and I am always afraid to return to his earlier books for fear I won't enjoy them as much now.

But then again my memory of the story is rather skewed by the movie which isn't entirely accurate to the book.

Hmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

py2006 wrote: »
    I wonder should I read the Shinning again before reading Dr Sleep? I haven't read the Shinning since I was a teenager and I am always afraid to return to his earlier books for fear I won't enjoy them as much now.

But then again my memory of the story is rather skewed by the movie which isn't entirely accurate to the book.

Hmmmmmm

I would recommend re-reading The Shining before reading Doctor Sleep for that very reason...the film strayed from the book and might distort your view.

I really, really enjoyed this book. I think anyone expecting it to be very similar to The Shining will be disappointed. It's not the same type of scare. We get to see the character of Danny develop and mature and, personally, I think it's a good reflection of how King's writing has developed and matured. We have to remember, he was in his 20s when he wrote The Shining.

There are some really lovely elements to this story and I personally really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Bout 50 pages from the end and loving it but I've been reading it for the last 5 hours and I need to go to sleep for work in the mornin.

Hate when this happens!!

Advertisement