Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nurse species for oak

• 10-09-2013 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Usually Scots, larch or alder used as a nurse for oak, but I've heard the Forest Service is moving toward Rowan or birch as a nurse.
    Any thoughts on which might be preferable?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just wondering why you are planting oak?

I'd imagine if the soil was poor/acidic birch would be better. Does rowan have any commercial possibilities?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

blue5000 wrote: »
    Just wondering why you are planting oak?

I'd imagine if the soil was poor/acidic birch would be better. Does rowan have any commercial possibilities?
    The site is some of the best land in the country, so will carry an oak crop. Just looking for a nurse species for frost protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

not an expert n this, but wouldn't birch be an excellent nurse crop? or would it be too fast growing for oak?

Oldtree wrote: »
    not an expert n this, but wouldn't birch be an excellent nurse crop? or would it be too fast growing for oak?
    Should provide cover from spring frosts then can be removed once the oak is taller. It wouldn't cast a strong shade. Scots pine or larch were common nurses but FS has now changed its mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think larch got some sort of disease, that's why it is gone. For this reason it might be better to put more than one nurse species in. Alder grows very fast, I wonder would it shade out the oak too much, or would it force the oak to grow nice tall straight stems? I have alder on wet land, I don't know what it would be like on good land. What is the pH of your soil OP?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Neutral soil. The other trees have been traditionally used, just wondering if anyone has had any experience of birch as a nurse.
    Prob have to ring FS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Neutral soil. The other trees have been traditionally used, just wondering if anyone has had any experience of birch as a nurse.
    Prob have to ring FS

In my experience alder grows very fast even if the soil is sticky/heavy but not quite wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

When I planted some oak in 2010 there wasn't a nurse species planted as such , it was 10 rows of oak and then 3 rows of any broadleaf followed by 10 rows of oak and so on.
    It used to be alternative rows of oak and Scots pine I think

The thinking has changed- 10 rows oak, one row nurse...trying to up potential stem quality and also there's a cosmetic element involved.

Advertisement