Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to teach yourself LC geography in a year?

• 10-09-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Please don't rant about the project that can be sorted out all i want to know about is the theory element, is it all fairly easy to get your head around and is there any sort of calculations or anything that would need explaining? im repeating and need a new subject. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

The only calculations in geography would be pretty basic, like calculating population densities etc.

I've seen geography been done in a year, the project being 20% is a big bonus, with advice from a teacher you should be getting between 18-20%.

The geography exam itself is INTENSE. you really need to know your stuff, the timing works out at 12 minutes per (approx) 2 page essay.
    The material itself isn't too complicated tbh, you just gotta really learn it. The physical section and regional sections will be new to you I'd imagine, and its just a case of learning it. A lot of the human section could be considered common sense. (you could get a question like how to reduce traffic in an area, but you could also be asked about population dynamics etc that you need to study.)
    If you do biology or ag science, the options section would be handy if you picked geoecology as its all about animal habitats and soils.

Overall geography is a big course and it's intense but it's enjoyable and if you put your head to it you could manage it! A girl that repeated in my school got a B1 after doing it for a year.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

Thanks for the reply :) ya its a subject i know id enjoy and put the work into. i was just a but unsure cause the geography teacher in school is hell bent on me not doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

peekachoo wrote: »
    The geography exam itself is INTENSE. you really need to know your stuff, the timing works out at 12 minutes per (approx) 2 page essay.

Sorry but if unless your handwriting is huge you're doing it wrong.. The most I've ever done was about a page and a half. 90% of mine are 1 page only (I suppose you could say 2 pages if you include diagrams for Physical Geography).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Sorry but if unless your handwriting is huge you're doing it wrong.. The most I've ever done was about a page and a half. 90% of mine are 1 page only (I suppose you could say 2 pages if you include diagrams for Physical Geography).

hence the *approx* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Take with a pinch of salt what I said then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Also remember that a lot of the physical section is a repeat of the junior cert course, obviously in more detail, and i'm sure that you were made do geography for the junior cert, so it won't all be double dutch to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pk9712

yeah fairly possible just need to learn of Alot!....also know you marking schemes and structures of essays and you will be fine. You will need to put in the effort though cause it is a long course

Advertisement