Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrantuohill beginner

Options
  • 10-09-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Due to climb this shortly with a more experienced group and worry I might hold them up too long. Have done a few 16 and 20km flatish walks no problem but found recent Mangerton tough - lots of stops on the way up - took two and a half hours to get up there. Felt fine after a bite before heading back down. In short should i do Carrantuohill or get a few more walks in and do it next spring?
    Any advice most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

but found recent Mangerton tough - lots of stops on the way up - took two and a half hours to get up there.
    If you were doing Carrauntoohill on your own it sounds like you'd get up, slowly, but if you're worried about slowing down a group then yes you probably will. If it was me, I'd enjoy it more if I was fitter and under less pressure, rather than having a bunch of annoyed people looking at me. It depends on the group and their level of patience.

By the way, if you're having to stop a lot you're going too fast. Try and find your "alpine pace", i.e. walk along slowly uphill for long distances without having to stop. If that's a very very slow walk then so be it - you'll make more progress with a steady plod than running along and stopping continuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jkforde

Due to climb this shortly with a more experienced group and worry I might hold them up too long. Have done a few 16 and 20km flatish walks no problem but found recent Mangerton tough - lots of stops on the way up - took two and a half hours to get up there. Felt fine after a bite before heading back down. In short should i do Carrantuohill or get a few more walks in and do it next spring?
    Any advice most welcome!

I'd say skip Carrantuohill for now, keep training on Mangerton & build up stamina and an awareness of one's own pace.. there's nothing worse than trying to keep up with someone who may resent being held back. one thing I do when the gradient gets mean is deliberately slow down and begin counting sets of 0-10, I find it paces me and prevents energy-sapping spurts... steady pace is key to an enjoyable walk and of course those stops to take in the ever expanding views!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Any advice most welcome!

What size will the group be?

If it's a large group it'll move slower and the larger the group is the lower the chance that you'll be the slowest walker.
    I've done walks in all kinds of groups and I've never heard anyone giving out about someone else's pace.
    In my experience, people who go hillwalking are decent people who accept that some people will be slow walkers.

Tbh I wouldn't be putting off going up Carrauntouhill because I was worried about someone else, if you want to go, do.
    I'm not btrying to be dramatic, but you never know when you'll get another chance, weather and life have a habit of getting in the way.

I walk fast and have zero patience.

But have brought out groups of friends and tbh expect the pace to slow down. So I factor that in and it's no surprise and I can't complain.

So think you should go for it and not stress too much about the others. They will know that because it's a group they won't be breaking any records anyway. If you can walk 20km you should be able to keep up for most of the way. Surprised that Mangerton took 2.5 hours if you can do 20km no problem, we're you bringing a heavy bag or wearing too much or too restrictive clothes?

I find stopping doesn't help me at all, it becomes almost like a self fulfilling prophecy, the stopping slows the pace down rather than speed it up. That might make no sense mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 griffonmark

Thanks to all for the replies - I've done a few more walks and found out I'm able to cope a lot better so I'm going to drive on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement