Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: National Rules for Electrical Installations (4th Edition)

Options
  • 10-09-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I'm looking for a copy of the ETCI National Rules for Electrical Installations (4th Edition). Just incase somebody has a spare copy they no longer need.....

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

Same here !

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Considering they cost € 97.50 I don't think anyone is going to give them away.

http://www.etci.ie/publications/onlinestore.html

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

If you are an apprentice or third level student then you can get this book at a discounted rate from the etci. You obviously need to prove you are of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Considering they cost € 97.50 I don't think anyone is going to give them away.

http://www.etci.ie/publications/onlinestore.html

I wasn't suggesting not paying somebody for it. I just thought there may have been an apprentice / student who no longer needed a copy and would have sold it.
    I ended up buying one from ECSSA.

" I ended up buying one from ECSSA "

Let me know when you want to get rid of your copy ! :D

Still looking for a second hand one, from a former student / retired elec./etc...

100 € for having the rules is rip off, IMO.

They should be free, accessible for everybody in the web, at least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Got it for 40 quid off fás while in phase 2, maybe try hit up someone who dropped out of an apprenticeship that still has the book

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

bertie 56 wrote: »
    " I ended up buying one from ECSSA "

Let me know when you want to get rid of your copy ! :D

Still looking for a second hand one, from a former student / retired elec./etc...

100 € for having the rules is rip off, IMO.

If you're registered with ECSSA or RECI you must own a copy along with all amendments.

E. Fudd wrote: »
    If you're registered with ECSSA or RECI you must own a copy along with all amendments.

Hi there,

No, not registered, not even electrician myself ! :o

Just curious ! ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

100 € for having the rules is rip off, IMO

Not really when you consider that those that write ET101 do so for free.

Why? Who should cover this cost?

2011 wrote: »
    Not really when you consider that those that write ET101 do so for free.

If that's true, fair play to them !
    Errmm, wait, so where goes the money then ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Why? Who should cover this cost?[/QUOTE]

The State should cover the cost. Above all, it is the state that edit the laws and ask you ( and me ) to follow them ( and can fine you if you don't follow them, am I right ? )

" Ignorantia juris non excusat " , that mean " ignorance of the law does not excuse "
    Fair enough, but then put the law easily accessible to everybody.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If that's true, fair play to them !
    It is, so yes fair play.

Errmm, wait, so where goes the money then ? :rolleyes:

Overheads.
    The State should cover the cost.

Obviously can only get this money from the taxpayer.
    So essentially you think that the taxpayer should provide electricians with the regulations for free?
    If you are not an electrician what do you want the regulations for?
    They are of little use without training.
    What other regulations do you think the should the tax payer fund and why?
    Above all, it is the state that edit the laws and ask you ( and me ) to follow them ( and can fine you if you don't follow them, am I right ? )

Here are some details on recent legislation for free.
    " Ignorantia juris non excusat " , that mean " ignorance of the law does not excuse "
    Fair enough, but then put the law easily accessible to everybody.
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Why? Who should cover this cost?

The State should cover the cost. Above all, it is the state that edit the laws and ask you ( and me ) to follow them ( and can fine you if you don't follow them, am I right ? )

Fair enough, but then put the law easily accessible to everybody.[/QUOTE]
    So what is your backround?
    FYI health & safety legislation is the only free stuff besides S.I's that i know of aside from the links quoted above
    you have to PAY for everything else!

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your answers you all.

" 2011 ", your link is interesting, and it reflects exactly what I wanted to say.
    In this link, I learned for example what is exactly " Minor Electrical Works" , and the fact that these works don't require the issuance of a Certificate .
    That's the law, I know it now , just because it was there for free .
    I know what I can do if I'm not electrician, And what I can't.
    You know what I mean ?

You were asking me :
    " you think that the taxpayer should provide electricians with the regulations for free? "
    But, is there electricity only in the electrician's houses ???
    Regulations are for everybody, it is here to protect everybody, your new-born baby, as your grand ma !
    The taxpayer is paying to have a Criminal Law, not only the criminals, no ?

Now, you might be intrigued why I'm interested in the Wiring Rules...

Can I ask two simple questions before explaining ?

1 - You have to put a 1 meter earth-rod for a domestic house. You have the choice of two places (both at the same distance of the fuse box ) :

A : under the carport ?(600 mm of dry stones, and 400 mm of dry soil under )
    B : in the soil , West of the house ( 1 meter of wet soil )

2 - How many sockets are you allowed to put in a radial circuit ( 2.5mm2 wires)

No trap-questions, just very simple ones...

1. Under a carport would not be a good choice as the soil there would tend to be quite dry. Wetter soil will conduct better, so with everything else equal this would be preferable.

2. The maximum number of points on a radial socket circuit is 10 (a double socket counts as a point). This circuit should supply no more than 2 rooms. A hall does not count as a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

I thought that the ETCI rule were not a legal document?,

But, is there electricity only in the electrician's houses ???
    Regulations are for everybody, it is here to protect everybody, your new-born baby, as your grand ma !

The regulations are primarily aimed at those that carry out electrical work, electrical design work and practically nobody else. But if you would like a copy you are entitled to buy a copy just like the rest of us. However without some sort of relevant training they will be of little use to you. I don't fancy your chances of getting the hard pressed taxpayer to furnish you with a copy. I would expect that the government could find better ways to waste spend our money.

By all means ask electrical questions here and you may get useful answers for free from some posters (many are electrical apprentices, electricians or electrical engineers).

Thanks, but according to my electrician, you are wrong !

1 - He didn't see any problem to put the earth-rod under the carport :confused:

2 - For him, a radial circuit has a maximum of 2 or 3 double sockets ( I like the precision, 2 or 3 ) :eek:
    ( A ring circuit is 10 or 12 , according to him ... )

Now, what I do ?

Do I trust him because he is qualify and close my eyes ?
    Or do I try to educate myself a bit and " control" what he is doing ?

Wouldn't it be interested to know what is the maximum earthing resistance allowance in Ireland? ( 100 ohms is the norm in my country )
    I'm interested to know this for the day he is coming to test the earth ( if he does ! ): I want more than " that's fine, it will do the job..."
    And this is only one question I have among many others !

So, for this, yes, having access freely to the Wiring Rules would be great.
    I don't want to pay 100 € to have them, I'm paying a professional who is suppose to know them already !

Ah, by the way, my electrician is fully qualify, fully certified, fully insured, and fully registered with one of the two " Electrical Safety Supervisory Bodies appointed by the Commission for Energy", as they call it ... :rolleyes:

There are a number of options open to you:

1) Ring the ETCI and ask them directly for free.
    2) Get a 2nd opinion on this forum or from another electrician.
    3) Buy ET101 for about €100
    4) Ring the ECSSA or RECI (which ever he is with).

Some nice person may tell you the page and rule number if you are lucky.

Regarding the earth electrode, read my post carefully. I did not say it was not permitted to install one in a carport.

Has your electrician started this work yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Wouldn't it be interested to know what is the maximum earthing resistance allowance in Ireland? ( 100 ohms is the norm in my country )

we're not required to measure earth electrode resistance for installation work here afaik

there's 3 references to measurement in the index but they all relate to TT systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

100 ohms for a TT system, we use a TNCS here.
    The English rules bs7671 can be found on line if you try hard enough and is similar to ours.

i wouldn't be too worried about the fact that he wants less points per circuit anyhow

even though 2/3 and 10/12 are not the theoretical maximum

he may consider it the best design for your installation...hard to say

If you were to have only 2 or 3 sockets per circuit you either have very few sockets or the price will go through the roof. Unless there is something very unusual with this installation your electrician is taking the p!ss.

If you were to have only 2 or 3 sockets per circuit you either have very few sockets or the price will go through the roof. Unless there is something very unusual with this installation or your electrician is taking the p!ss.

kitchen..

utility..

kitchen..

utility..

Perhaps, but the OP's electrician is saying "For him, a radial circuit has a maximum of 2 or 3 double sockets ( I like the precision, 2 or 3 )
    ( A ring circuit is 10 or 12 , according to him ... )".

So he is applying this across the board, 2 or 3 is not the maximum in every case.

well yes ...it's not the max

but he may prefer 3 points per cct for kitchen and utility

and maybe separate radial per room also elsewhere

depending on the circumstances

playing devils advocate..

well yes ...it's not the max

but he may prefer 3 points per cct for kitchen and dining

and maybe separate radial per room also elsewhere

depending on the circumstances

playing devils advocate..

He may have valid reasons, but that is not his position. He has stated that I am incorrect in saying that 10 is the maximum on a radial. This is incorrect. I am sure you have put more than 3 on a radial ? According to this electrician you are not permitted to. Read post #20

He may have valid reasons, but that is not his position. He has stated that I am incorrect in saying that 10 is the maximum on a radial. This is incorrect. I am sure you have put more than 3 on a radial ? According to this electrician you are not permitted to. Read post #20

i have a few drinks on me now:) but isn't the OP the 'domestic' customer here

relaying the contractors(alleged) views on final socket circuits

There are a number of options open to you:

1) Ring the ETCI and ask them directly for free.
    2) Get a 2nd opinion on this forum or from another electrician.
    3) Buy ET101 for about €100
    4) Ring the ECSSA or RECI (which ever he is with).

Some nice person may tell you the page and rule number if you are lucky.

Regarding the earth electrode, read my post carefully. I did not say it was not permitted to install one in a carport.

Has your electrician started this work yet?

That is good tips, 2011, thanks.

Yes, I understood your post about the carport. In my case, there were two solutions, and I was just surprised the electrician took the worse one !
    I finally put the earth rod in the 1meter wet soil : that make sense .

He did put a fuse box, couple of RCD's and MCB's, few sockets and send the cert , hoping to have a temporary supply for me in the house.
    The cert has been rejected :mad: , so we are at this point now.
    I did the electric plan of the house (place of lights/sockets/oven, etc...) the usual.
    He hasn't looked at the plan precisely yet.

PS : don't get me wrong, I don't want everything for free. Every worker deserves his wages. I'm not whining about not having the book send to my place. A free web site with all the information is plenty.
    Dublin Library seems to have the book available to public, I'll be happy to have something similar locally.

• Advertisement

i have a few drinks on me now:) but isn't the OP the 'domestic' customer here

relaying the contractors(alleged) views on final socket circuits

I sometimes have difficulties to understand, that's true :D
    When it comes to serious things as the electricity, for example, I make sure that at the end, I understand everything fully, though.
    I did draw what he was explaining me, and yes, I confirm, his maximum for a radial circuit is 2 or 3, and for a ring one 10 or 12.
    We were talking about bedrooms,living, etc... not kitchen or specific circuits ( which will be done later )

Advertisement