Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: National Rules for Electrical Installations (4th Edition)

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

deandean wrote: »
    I was very disappointed with the content of the Rules in that it gave almost no information that was useful to me. For example: height of a socket outlet;

See page 136 and read 554.1.1
    height of a light switch

See page 100 and read 530.6
    etc; location of earth rod

There is not a regulation on this, but 542.2.2 and 542.2.3 provides sufficient information for an electrician to make an intelligent decision when selecting a suitable location for an earth electrode.
    A lot of the info that's really useful seems to be picked up during an electrician's apprenticeship and/or from periodicals from RECI/ECSSA etc.

That is the way it should be.
    I think you are confusing ET101 with some sort of training manual.
    A read of the National Rules for Electrical Installations is not designed to turn a layperson into an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

That is the way it should be.
    I think you are confusing ET101 with some sort of training manual.
    A read of the National Rules for Electrical Installations is not designed to turn a layperson into an electrician.

That is the point I am making.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

deandean wrote: »
    Getting back to Mr Fudd's original request for a copy of The Rules so he could look stuff up for himself: I bought a copy of the Rules in about 2000 for the same reason. I did a fair bit of the preliminaries myself such as taking up floorboards, chasing walls, etc.

I was very disappointed with the content of the Rules in that it gave almost no information that was useful to me. For example: height of a socket outlet; height of a light switch, etc; location of earth rod, etc.

A lot of the info that's really useful seems to be picked up during an electrician's apprenticeship and/or from periodicals from RECI/ECSSA etc.

So Mr Fudd, I reckon don't expect much from a copy of ET:101 in terms of practical guidelines.

It wasn't so I could look up stuff for myself. It was because I was registering with ECSSA who require you to hold a copy of the rules. I obviously would have gotten one for referral reasons alone aswell.

I've subsequently purchased a copy.

Advertisement