Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete boats

Options
  • 10-09-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what ever became of the concrete boat that was "moored"at bray harbour for years or better still does anybody have any pics of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Maudi wrote: »
    Does anybody know what ever became of the concrete boat that was "moored"at bray harbour for years or better still does anybody have any pics of it.

I remember that boat!

Weirdly enough, I was wondering what happened to it when I was down at the harbour last week and I haven't thought of it in years.

FYI the material it was made of is called ferrocement; it was a popular material for home boat building in the 60s-70s but as we all know enthusiasm /= competence so an awful lot of terrible boat hulls were built and never turned into fitted out yachts.

I think the bray one was one of these - I'm pretty sure it was nothing but an unlined hull?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

The Harbour Bar was jokingly renamed 'The Stone Boat Hotel' during the years that boat sat across from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

I think one of these ended up in a shed down in Arklow. It may have been built by John DuMoulin Ltd who were church builders but had a boating background.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I think my parents might have a photo of the one in Bray - Dad used to refer to it as "The Hulk" when we were kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

I remember one in Wicklow harbour during the 80s. My friend used to hep out the guy who was doing it up. I think it stayed unfinished for years. I'm sure I saw one very like it from the train in the last couple of months - it was in the factory yards by the railway line after it turns north of of Windows town. I think that's where I saw it anyway...

I couldn't guess the length or tonnage but as sailing yachts go it would have been at the larger end of the scale, and with the cockpit amidships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Taken from "Bray, Did You Know" facebook page:

Who remembers the concrete ship at Bray Harbour? Did you ever wonder why it was built? Well here's a bit of history for you… Little did people know that the 'Firestone' would, within time, be one of the most talked about boats in Bray Harbour after its unmanned voyage between Bray and Wales.
    Back in 1978, sea anglers Harry Boland and his brother Buddy decided to build a concrete boat when they read a book about it. Both brothers always wanted a boat of their own, and a concrete one would fit the bill as it was going to be less expensive than any other type.
    So they set about building a concrete boat fitted with a cabin and a propeller and was launched in 1978. And it did sail - quite successfully until six years later, it was to undertake its most talked about voyage.
    On day in September, 1984 Buddy and his father took the boat out fishing just off Bray Head, but on their way back, the engine failed and anchored the boat just offshore.
    Of course being made of concrete, the boat was too heavy to tow in. So they left it anchored. But the Firestone broke free of its moorings overnight and the next day, it had totally disappeared out of the bay.
    They alerted the coastguard, concerned that the boat would pose a threat to ships crossing the channel. Various vessels spotted it and reported that it had went up and down the Irish Sea, and finally it came ashore in Cardigan estuary in Wales.
    The Firestone became quite the celebrity vessel, hitting the headlines of newspapers at home and in Wales. No-one could believe that a boat of its description could have sailed, unmanned, all the way from Bray to Wales, surviving rough seas and severe gales, only suffering slight damage to the porthole and to the rudder.
    The concrete boat was later sold and where it is today is a mystery - despite attempts to trace its whereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Best name for a concrete boat?
    "Maid of Crete"

Advertisement