Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distress flare ardgillian area????

Options
  • 10-09-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Husband seen The distress flare. He was out driving home .he said it was strange as it appeared to be over land rather then sea.
    I heard the helicopter out there about ten minutes ago ?
    Anyone know what's up ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

cathy01 wrote: »
    Husband seen The distress flare. He was out driving home .he said it was strange as it appeared to be over land rather then sea.
    I heard the helicopter out there about ten minutes ago ?
    Anyone know what's up ???

I hope your husband called the coastguard. They could be out looking for some body or they could be training, either way always report to the coastguard when you see a flare. It could save some-ones life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

My words to him.and repeated to my 11 year old.the helicopter was around by the time he thought of it.he thought it was a hoax as it seemed to come from inland. ? Helicopter is still outside and one of the girls said the skerries lifeboat crew are on the water along the coast?????

Ah feck I can hear syrins .

cathy01 wrote: »
    My words to him.and repeated to my 11 year old.the helicopter was around by the time he thought of it.he thought it was a hoax as it seemed to come from inland. ? Helicopter is still outside and one of the girls said the skerries lifeboat crew are on the water along the coast?????

Yes Skerries lifeboat are out as well. Hopefully its just a training exercise. Your husband should still report it. The coastguard will check it out, better to be safe than sorry. It doesn't matter if the flare was set off over land or sea it could still be someone in distress.
    I reported a distress flare a couple of years ago, the coastguard confirmed to me over the phone that it was a training exercise to see how many people would report it. Don't assume that it was just kids messing etc...

Yes Skerries lifeboat are out as well. Hopefully its just a training exercise. Your husband should still report it. The coastguard will check it out, better to be safe than sorry. It doesn't matter if the flare was set off over land or sea it could still be someone in distress.
    I reported a distress flare a couple of years ago, the coastguard confirmed to me over the phone that it was a training exercise to see how many people would report it. Don't assume that it was just kids messing etc...

Only ever did it once in my life and I wasn't going to take a chance . They thanked me and said it had been reported .i was glad i did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The lights turned out to be Chinese lanterns being let off by the coast. It's still best to call 112 if you think you've seen a flare.

The lights turned out to be Chinese lanterns being let off by the coast. It's still best to call 112 if you think you've seen a flare.

Seriously, Chinese lanterns? They should be banned near coasts and airports. I can't see how a Chinese lantern could be mistaken for a distress flare though.

Seriously, Chinese lanterns? They should be banned near coasts and airports. I can't see how a Chinese lantern could be mistaken for a distress flare though.

That's mad.thank God it was nothing .heard about body been found on mornington beach and felt sick.
    I think they should be banned in light of yesterday .no pun intended.

Advertisement