Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Of Light

Options
  • 10-09-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭

Child of Light is a new game from Ubisoft coming next year, it is being down by the same team behind Far Cry 3 and will use the UbiArt Framework which will also be used also in Valiant Hearts which was announced today as well. The game looks really good, reminds me of Chrono Trigger and will let you play local co-op as well, the combat is a mix between Grandia and FF old ATB system.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looks as good as I hoped it would, that Ubiart engine is a technical marvel. Aesthetics evoke a beautiful fairy tale pop-up book brought to vivid, magical life. Hopefully the gameplay can match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Looks like the PS3, PS4 and PC versions of the game will be getting a Deluxe Edition, it is also gonna be cross-buy on the Playstation.

jbquksTrUfDjpo.jpg
    London, UK – March 5th, 2014 – Today, Ubisoft announced that Child of Light, the poetic turn-based RPG that will release digitally on April 30th, 2014, will also be available the same day in retail as a Deluxe Edition on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and on Windows® PC. This Deluxe Edition is available for pre-orders right now and will be available in the UK and other EMEA territories only.

The Child of Light Deluxe Edition will contain exclusive content, including a poster designed by Yo****aka Amano, the renowned Japanese artist, a 24 page art book with unrevealed artwork and an Igniculus key ring. This boxed edition will also include additional game content, with a bonus quest, a new character and a pack of collectibles.

Additionally, the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 versions of the game, both in retail and digital, will benefit from the cross-buy option. Therefore, players buying Child of Light on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 will be able to play the game on both platforms at no additional cost.

Child of Light is created by a small team of seasoned developers based in Ubisoft Montreal. It has been developed on Ubisoft’s UbiArt Framework, a powerful engine that lets programmers and artists bring their art to life by allowing original concept art to be inserted unedited into the game world. In Child of Light, the effect is akin to stepping into an interactive painting.

Child of Light is a reimagining of classic fairytales, inviting players on an epic adventure into the magical painted world of Lemuria. Players will uncover mysteries, participate in turn-by-turn combat inspired by classic JRPGs, and explore a mystical kingdom. The game puts players in the shoes of Aurora, a child stolen from her home, who, in her quest to return, must bring back the sun, the moon and the stars held captive by the Queen of the Night. Helped by her companion Igniculus the firefly and several unlikely allies, Aurora will face her darkest fears, including dragons and other mystical creatures, in this modern take on a coming-of-age story.

The game will be available for download on Xbox LIVE for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, the PlayStation Network for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, the eShop from Nintendo for the Wii U, and PC Digital, at the price of £11.99.

New co-op trailer as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm hoping this game is good but I have one worry and it's that the combat seems really slow which is enough to kill most RPGs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll wait for the reviews, nice to see the WiiU getting a release though.
    I wonder how much the physical limited release copy will be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not up on any websites yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Getting close now. Beautiful new trailer (that music!):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Out on Wednesday this week, been looking forward to this one. Bit miffed there is no deluxe edition for Xbox :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm getting a Ni No Kuni vibe off this from reading those reviews. Pretty but ultimately vapid. The story even sounds a bit like Ni No Kuni as well. The battle system sounds interesting but also slow. I'd like to see what US gamer think of it since they have the RPG experts I'd trust.

I have been burned by the last 2 RPG's I have got, hope everything will not come in threes with this.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    I have been burned by the last 2 RPG's I have got, hope everything will not come in threes with this.

Get Atelier Ayesha.

Thank me later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm hoping this game is good but I have one worry and it's that the combat seems really slow which is enough to kill most RPGs.

What turn-based rpg's have fast combat...?

Get Atelier Ayesha.

Thank me later.

We have discussed them before :) I have them all.

Grimebox wrote: »
    What turn-based rpg's have fast combat...?

Persona 3 and 4
    Etrian Odyssey
    Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6 and 9
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shin Megami Tensei IV
    Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey
    Atelier Rorona, Totori, Meruru and Ayesha
    Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
    Suikoden 1 and 2
    The Etrian Odyssey series
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy 4, 5 and 6 (not the PS1 versions either)
    Grandia series

All those games have super fast highly tactical turn based battle systems. Usually it involves trying to kill enemies in the first turn because if the enemies end up getting a chance to attack it can all go wrong.

Some of them like the Atelier games just don't over complicate things with over long spell effects and load times.

At the opposite end of the spectrum you have games like CD based Final Fantasys with lots of load times and elaborate effects drawing things out or just plain crappy over long battle systems like Ni No Kuni, Legend of Dragoon or Lost Odyssey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I get you now. I was taking your statement too literally

Just started so early days, it looks and sounds absolutely stunning !!!!!!!

The combat has some interesting ideas like using the fire guy to slow down an enemy casting but as with a lot of turn based games, its .... well slow , we'll see how it goes after some more time with it, enjoying it so far though.

calex71 wrote: »
    The combat has some interesting ideas like using the fire guy to slow down an enemy casting but as with a lot of turn based games, its .... well slow , we'll see how it goes after some more time with it, enjoying it so far though.

Well ther's my biggest worry there. A turn based battle system should be fast paced, especially something that looks to base itself on the Grandia battle system. A slow battle system can really kill a RPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Is gamestop selling the retail version? The one with the code in the box.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

calex71 wrote: »
    Just started so early days, it looks and sounds absolutely stunning !!!!!!!

How are you liking it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Am really tempted to pick this up on the graphics alone; very shallow of me, but the art-style really is something else. Seems to be getting varyingly good reviews. Anyone know how long the play-length is clocked at?

• Advertisement

How are you liking it?

To be honest .... it's only ok. It does nothing that isn't done better else where.

My biggest issue with it is the combat and party, you meet all these people and they join the party but can only use 2 at time and as such they join and get forgotten about or you simple don't care about because you are given little reason to. I think the game is too small to have implemented the battle system they have the way they have, In recent memory South Park would be an example of getting it right with a similar style system it's the only one i can think of in recent memory I played that was turn based with out going way way back and thats not like with like.

The dialogue isn't particularly interesting or funny or charming, the fact everything rhymes got old a while back, i think they wanted to go with something and for it to be the games "thing" but I don't think it works.

I'd say I'm about 60% through it at this point with 5 or so hours on the clock. I'm not hating it but appart from the visuals there is little to make it particularly memorable.

Preordered this in Gamestop a few weeks back and went in on Tuesday to collect it but was told that it wasn't out till this Friday. Happened to be in town today and thought I'd chance my arm to get it so handed over my receipt to the girl working there and she informs me that they only got one copy in and it had already been sold. Asked why it wasn't held for me and she said that her boss had sold it and that it may come in. Asked to get my money back and was told that I could only have credit against something instore. Going to be heading back in tomorrow to speak to the manager but past experience tells me that he'll be even more unhelpful

Preordered this in Gamestop a few weeks back and went in on Tuesday to collect it but was told that it wasn't out till this Friday. Happened to be in town today and thought I'd chance my arm to get it so handed over my receipt to the girl working there and she informs me that they only got one copy in and it had already been sold. Asked why it wasn't held for me and she said that her boss had sold it and that it may come in. Asked to get my money back and was told that I could only have credit against something instore. Going to be heading back in tomorrow to speak to the manager but past experience tells me that he'll be even more unhelpful

Threaten to go to the head office when you talk to the manager. If he doesn't back down then complain to the head office.

Threaten to go to the head office when you talk to the manager. If he doesn't back down then complain to the head office.

Plan to use every thing I can to get my money back. I'll stand out side the shop telling people not toshop there if that's what it takes.

That's outrageous it's not as if you had a change of mind or didn't want it any more, you paid a deposit to secure an item that they are now saying that they won't be able to sell you?

Get on them on twitter, be nice but direct, found they are reasonable enough time wise for getting back to people there. I wouldn't waste my breath in the shop again, if the assistant told you that then will likely get the same guff off the manager.

Bizarrely I found head office actually quite sane and reasonable on the phone the 2 times I ever had to get on to them vs what I would have expected after dealing with some of their staff in various shops :confused:

Yeah best keep your head in these cases. Losing the plot and going mad wont get you anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

People who work in stores have targets to meet and refunding deposits would affect their deposit sales for that week and try to get you to spend it in store instead. As the others said, get on to their facebook. That makes it public and they can't afford to look bad that way. Will get you sorted straight away.

Dealt with GameStop before and there's no point getting angry. Just stay cool and collected and argue your point without getting angry, find it's best to threaten them with going above their head or letting them know that you've no problem sitting out front and informing everyone of what the store has done.

Coming to the Vita in July.
    London, UK – May 20, 2014 - Today, Ubisoft announced that Child of Light™, the turn-based RPG set in the magical world of Lemuria, will release digitally on PlayStation® Vita on July 2nd at the price of £11.99. It will also release on PlayStation® Vita in a retail Complete Edition on the same day. This boxed edition will contain all additional game contents, including a bonus quest, a new character and a pack of collectibles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

:D awh yes.

Advertisement