Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with heating system please...

Options
  • 10-09-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Ok so after a long summer of no heating, I have switched it back on again.. However, the radiators are not heating up and my pilot light on the boiler keeps cutting out. My Dad has checked the radiators and they don't need to be bled, no airlock etc. Anybody any clues please before I have to shell out some non-existent money... Thank you in advance :( In Charlesland btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Maybe the water pressure has dropped in the system so the boiler will not operate. Is there a pressure gauge on your system at the boiler I would think. If the gauge is at zero you will need to allow water into the system to bring up the pressure.
    This may help>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0GRxandC0

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Maybe the water pressure has dropped in the system so the boiler will not operate. Is there a pressure gauge on your system at the boiler I would think. If the gauge is at zero you will need to allow water into the system to bring up the pressure.
    This may help>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0GRxandC0

Thanks so much for that Pixbyjohn, have had a look at that video and will give it a try in the morning :)

Disregard the bit where he disconnects the supply flexible pipe because I think most systems here have the supply permanently connected BUT TURNED OFF.
    Also that supply tap/valve may be in your hot press if not at the boiler. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

amy1plus2 wrote: »
    Ok so after a long summer of no heating, I have switched it back on again.. However, the radiators are not heating up and my pilot light on the boiler keeps cutting out. My Dad has checked the radiators and they don't need to be bled, no airlock etc. Anybody any clues please before I have to shell out some non-existent money... Thank you in advance :( In Charlesland btw

If all the Charlesland boilers are the same (and I assume they are) then there's a black knob/valve in the hotpress that needs to be turned briefly. It's on a pipe leading into the actual boiler. Turn it for a few secs & you'll hear the water flowing into/out of (not sure really) the tank.

I believe the reading on the digital dial on the boiler in the hall needs to be greater than 0.7 for the heating to work properly. Turning that black valve for even 1-2 secs should increase the reading to 1.5/2.0.

Failing that, you may need to call a service guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

There should be two black valves at the bottom of the tank in the hotpress, you'll have to open both of them simultaneously for a couple of seconds, then check your boiler pressure, do it again if needs be till pressure right. Between1 and 2 bar.

• Advertisement

How did you solve the problem in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    How did you solve the problem in the end?

Would you believe we just got it sorted today. Plumber came and did a quick fiddle with some blue box in behind the boiler in the hot press. It's only a temporary job but will see us out for a bit. He said we either need a new thermostat or else a new "blue box" thingy. But he said he'd need to use some machine to figure out which one needs replacing. He was doing a favour by calling in today so was a fixe upper for us. Thank you for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

Would you believe we just got it sorted today. Plumber came and did a quick fiddle with some blue box in behind the boiler in the hot press. It's only a temporary job but will see us out for a bit. He said we either need a new thermostat or else a new "blue box" thingy. But he said he'd need to use some machine to figure out which one needs replacing. He was doing a favour by calling in today so was a fixe upper for us. Thank you for all your help :)

did he call the machine's name e.g. infra-red camera to detect the leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

If all the Charlesland boilers are the same (and I assume they are)

no they aren't, there are at least three types of boilers in CL.

Two types I've seen were system boilers and one type was combi (in the apartments).

Advertisement