Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godparents

Options
  • 10-09-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I was just wondering is it unusual to have three godparents as i am stuck between people to choose. I'm set on one but stuck on two other people to choose. Is it unusal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

I have two sets of godparents, could that be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ldn92

macsauce wrote: »
    I have two sets of godparents, could that be an option?
    I dont have anyone else to be the fourth, is it usually allowed that you can have more than two godparnets ?

I'm not sure. I dunno if being CoI has anything to do with it??

What do you mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ring the priest and ask.

• Advertisement

The Church of Ireland may have different rules that permit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There are no rules as far as i remember. It's just traditional to have two, one of each gender. Ask your priest to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I know a couple (catholic) whose child has their 3 older siblings as Godparents and another child who has 4 Godparents so two seems to be traditional rather than a rule. During the ceremony it doesn't specifically name the Godparents, say how many there are or that they have to be a particular gender and I don't think their names are even on the baptismal cert.

echo beach wrote: »
    I know a couple (catholic) whose child has their 3 older siblings as Godparents and another child who has 4 Godparents so two seems to be traditional rather than a rule. During the ceremony it doesn't specifically name the Godparents, say how many there are or that they have to be a particular gender and I don't think their names are even on the baptismal cert.

Thanks, think i will go with the three then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

echo beach wrote: »

God parents names are on my children's baptismal certs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement