Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

making assumptions based on shopping on belt in front of you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Love supermarkets, I could spend hours in them. Just floating around, planning out meals! :D

So do I when I have the time. Wanna be shopping buddies?? PM me. :D

Mickey H wrote: »
    You're a poet and you didn't know it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I love standing in the self check out line when 4 out of 6 of the check outs are out of order. And on one of the remaining two, the person needs an operator sign on to void off a transaction but there's no employee in sight. Sheer bliss.

Or when the voice says 'please place item in bagging area' x100.

ITS IN THE F*CKING BAGGING AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I find those 2L bottles of bleach in lidl and aldi great for clearing the drains, but you do look like a bit of a terrorist if you have more than 2 drains to clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Surprised they weren't buying umbongo. I hear they drink it in the Congo.

Mmmmmmemorieeeeeeeees......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

cheap does not excuse laziness!

Processed food is often cheaper than buying the ingredients. That's why my food bill is so stupidly high, I but high quality proteins and ingredients. If I couldn't afford to cook properly I'd end up having to buy cheap frozen processed foods or live on starches.

That's the point I was making.

Candie wrote: »
    I quite like them too. I only go when I've plenty of time so I don't rush the experience.

God that sounds so sad :o

Its so relaxing! I buy a heap of crap I dont need though!
    Mickey H wrote: »
    So do I when I have the time. Wanna be shopping buddies?? PM me. :D

Definitely. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

I like to invite the assumptions when buying condoms. I do this by always three other random items with them to try to invoke a strange look.

My favourite one so far has been condoms, haribo, nail clippers and some febreeze.

i remember one time few years back when i was living with my ex boyfriend,
    we bought two courgettes in the rest of our shopping,

innocent enuf u might think.......

until we got to the checkout when the girl lifted the cougette, looked at the girl on the next checkout and bust out laughing, cue the 2nd girl laughing. and then all the people in her queue looking over and laughing...

who wouldve thought courgettes were that amusing......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Stheno wrote: »
    My regular shop a couple of days a week is blueberries

Blueberries give you hep a these days:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hepatitis-a-outbreak-linked-to-imported-frozen-berries-1.1469002

I'll take the fat ass that pizza and beer gives me thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

When I was in college I went into tesco for the laugh and bought a cooked chicken, toothpaste, a lightbulb and a pair of tights. I got a few weird looks, but that's what I was going for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

I always feel like like people are judging me by my purchases when I buy toilet paper. I know I know, everybody poops (or so I've been led to believe) but I can't help but think that people are wondering about me when I queue up to pay for beer and toilet paper at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Mother pushing trolley packed with 5 bottles of Country Spring soft drinks, frozen chips, fish fingers, chicken nuggets, spice burgers, several multi-packs of cheap crisps, lots of chocolate, bisuits etc. No fresh food, fruit or veg.

Assumption: Her children are, or will soon be, obese. Sometimes the children are with her and my assumption is correct.

Not neceesarily true. without the "lots" of junkfood, just some, thats what mine would look like. I get all my meat in the butchers and fruit/veg in aldi soin dunnes/tesco little or i would have no fresh food.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MadsL wrote: »
    A box of live crickets would look odd on the conveyor in fairness. Give the poor fecker some protein though would ya?

Adult dragons (and he is nearly eight which is a great age) are mainly herbivore, he gets regular locusts and crickets treated with appropriate protein supplements, he's a right fat bastard is our Louis (named after the Budweiser ad)
    Blueberries give you hep a these days:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hepatitis-a-outbreak-linked-to-imported-frozen-berries-1.1469002

I'll take the fat ass that pizza and beer gives me thanks all the same.

Nothing but fresh for Louis, it's the frozen ones that give you hep!

Its so relaxing! I buy a heap of crap I dont need though!

Not me. I exert great self control and never leave with something that I don't really, genuinely need.

Now obviously I don't always realise that I really need a family size tub of Ben and Jerrys and a mega size multi pack of Tortillas until I get there, but that's different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I always feel like like people are judging me by my purchases when I buy toilet paper. I know I know, everybody poops (or so I've been led to believe) but I can't help but think that people are wondering about me when I queue up to pay for beer and toilet paper at the same time.

I feel this way when I buy laxatives and sand paper togehter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

samina wrote: »
    Not neceesarily true. without the "lots" of junkfood just some thats what mine would look like. I get all my meat in the butchers and fruit/veg in aldi iso in dunnes/tesco little or i would have no fresh food.
    I talking about a trolley full of junk food - a weeks worth of food, all processed and/or frozen. Most people will have some unhealthy treats in their shopping.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gee Bag wrote: »
    I feel this way when I buy laxatives and sand paper togehter

Less need for lube after all that sanding?

It's usually something I buy on its own and I usually carry it home without a bag (The ones I buy have a handle attached. Posh bog roll). I live a few minutes from the supermarket and as I walk down the street and people look at me, I always imagine them imagining me taking a massive dump.

• More like laziness.

Bit judgemental, no?

I used to eat quite a bit of processed food. I worked very long hours and until very late at night and I just didn't have the time/energy to be cooking every night and my flatmates didn't appreciate me banging around the kitchen at midnight either. Sure, I often tried to have a healthy option like a sandwich, but I was usually starving and wanted something hot/filling.

I do like cooking, but for some people it's a lot harder than for others due to their job or lifestyle.

• Advertisement

When I was in college I went into tesco for the laugh and bought a cooked chicken, toothpaste, a lightbulb and a pair of tights. I got a few weird looks, but that's what I was going for

This one time at band camp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I don't look at other people's shopping.:confused: I would have thought it was rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Jaysus i never knew people payed that much attention to stuff you buy in the supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Jaysus i never knew people payed that much attention to stuff you buy in the supermarket

oh everyone is judging you........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I assumed you'd be back later to rob the place. :D

also makes you paranoid about what you have in your trolley!!

I don't look at other people's shopping.:confused: I would have thought it was rude.

That's not rude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhoRiaikec4

This is :)

Not rude, just nosey. It's a great source of inspiration for new meal ideas, plus you can discover new products that you never noticed on the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Processed food is often cheaper than buying the ingredients. That's why my food bill is so stupidly high, I but high quality proteins and ingredients. If I couldn't afford to cook properly I'd end up having to buy cheap frozen processed foods or live on starches.

That's the point I was making.

Fine.
    But buy cheap now, pay more later in other ways.
    Without fail by the way I find cooking less expensive than eating processed crap.

• Advertisement

Not rude, just nosey. It's a great source of inspiration for new meal ideas, plus you can discover new products that you never noticed on the shelves.

and take it from their trolley and put it in yours when they arent looking!!

and take it from their trolley and put it in yours when they arent looking!!
    Thank you - I never thought of that!

Fine.
    But buy cheap now, pay more later in other ways.
    Without fail by the way I find cooking less expensive than eating processed crap.

Then I would challenge you to make say a Spag Bol from scratch for less than you could buy it as a microwave dinner.

Then I would challenge you to make say a Spag Bol from scratch for less than you could buy it as a microwave dinner.
    The ingredients might cost more but you would make enough for several meals. Buy mince when it's on offer or use cheaper mince, that's what would be used in a microwave dinner. Make extra and freeze it, freeze extra sauce etc.

Easily done if you calculate the cost per portion. You could probably make four or five good portions of spag bol for the cost of two readymade ones and it would taste much, much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

bubblypop wrote: »
    oh everyone is judging you........

Less vaseline in the trolly next time then :pac:

That oul son would not be a problem, and I wouldn't even be using horsemeat to save on the costs!

yea buy ingrediants, make a spag bol, take one portion now, then freeze te rest, prob have another 3 or 4 dinners in the freezer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I've never seen that clip before. Did Johnny Giles give his name to condoms or something?

*Hmmm...what's this person putting in his body later? Oh, meat balls and bread! Very good! And some Andrex toilet roll for excreting the wastes generated from digestion of such food. Excellent!*

Just tap him on the shoulder and say "Sir, I've eaten that bread before, it's very stodgy, you might need a laxative. It'll sip out easier."

• Advertisement

Easily done if you calculate the cost per portion. You could probably make four or five good portions of spag bol for the cost of two readymade ones and it would taste much, much better.

Oh I agree I would taste better, but the challenge was to make the same portion for less from scratch. That I would say is impossible, and the point I'm making is that is why some people end up existing on processed food.

bubblypop wrote: »
    yea buy ingrediants, make a spag bol, take one portion now, then freeze te rest, prob have another 3 or 4 dinners in the freezer

If I live alone and have no freezer? Am I to live on spag bol for five days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If you always have a well stocked cupboard with tinned tomatoes, stock cubes, herbs, pasta, rice etc. then it doesn't take much to put a meal together. If I buy mince I normally use half for a bolognese and half for a chilli the next night. I've already got most of the other ingredients I need so don't need to buy them every time. That's better value than a microwave meal and a lot healthier

Oh I agree I would taste better, but the challenge was to make the same portion for less from scratch. That I would say is impossible, and the point I'm making is that is why some people end up existing on processed food.

Works out more expensive in the long-run. If only I knew as a student what I know now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We've all popped down to the local Tesco - wearing a hoody and tracky bottoms - for a few beers before and grabbed something grotty like Koka noodles or a 6 pack of Meanies on impulse and then ended up queuing beside a really attractive woman (your own age) and fighting the urge for 5 minutes to shout that you've already done a monthly grown up shop and you're not a divorced alcoholic living in a bedsit.

Bit judgemental, no?

I used to eat quite a bit of processed food. I worked very long hours and until very late at night and I just didn't have the time/energy to be cooking every night and my flatmates didn't appreciate me banging around the kitchen at midnight either. Sure, I often tried to have a healthy option like a sandwich, but I was usually starving and wanted something hot/filling.

I do like cooking, but for some people it's a lot harder than for others due to their job or lifestyle.

Yeh, it is judgmental of me, I don't deny it. It's what the thread is about afterall!

And my first post referred specifically to families with overweight kids. No single folk working night shifts.

If your kids are fat stop feeding them pizza and chicken nuggest and washing it down with fizzy orange. It's unfair on them, really bloody unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

I know a girl who was approached by a man in the supermarket who told her that she should have meat in her trolley that it wasn't healthy not to have meat. .

Did she peep into the contents of his basket? I bet it had condoms and lube in it and she missed out on a good night.

No its not impossible, you are just trying to change the goalposts now!
    People usually (though not always) end up using processed foods because they are either to lazy to cook, or to lazy to learn how to cook properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

I enjoy drinking soda so I go to the discount store and buy five 2 litre bottles and also a packet of disposable razors, I don't know what message that sends out.

If I live alone and have no freezer? Am I to live on spag bol for five days?
    That has nothing to do with a microwave dinner being cheaper.

Admit it, you're wrong. ;)

No its not impossible, you are just trying to change the goalposts now!
    People usually (though not always) end up using processed foods because they are either to lazy to cook, or to lazy to learn how to cook properly.

There is also income levels too, that's all I'm saying.

You cannot make the same convenient portion for the same price. You can make multiples and freeze them, not everyone however has a freezer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement