Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

making assumptions based on shopping on belt in front of you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

That has nothing to do with a microwave dinner being cheaper.

Admit it, you're wrong. ;)

Price it out and prove me wrong then...

MadsL wrote: »
    There is also income levels too, that's all I'm saying.

You cannot make the same convenient portion for the same price. You can make multiples and freeze them, not everyone however has a freezer.

I have never, ever met someone who didn't have a freezer. Ever.

Oh I agree I would taste better, but the challenge was to make the same portion for less from scratch. That I would say is impossible, and the point I'm making is that is why some people end up existing on processed food.

Its far from impossible, it just takes a bit of planning and minimal work.

That's why people exist on convenience food. Because it's more convenient for the lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Then I would challenge you to make say a Spag Bol from scratch for less than you could buy it as a microwave dinner.

No prob. Not sure how much a microwave effort is, but..

This should make 4 x large portions of spag bol.
    I have not actually checked prices, but am 100% sure in some instances I have allowed too much budget for some ingredients.

1lb mince €5.00
    2 x tins tomatoes €2.00
    2 x carrots (large) €0.50
    1 x Onion (Large) €0.70
    Dried Herbs €0.50
    1 x red pepper (Large) €0.80
    2 x sticks celery €0.35
    2 x cloves garlic €0.20
    1 tbsp tomatoe puree €0.50
    Spagetti €2.00
    Total €12.55

Approx €3.20 per portion (Large)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

There is also income levels too, that's all I'm saying.

You cannot make the same convenient portion for the same price. You can make multiples and freeze them, not everyone however has a freezer.

Ah come on now! Everyone has a freeze box in their fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I don't have a freezer. Just a smaller than average fridge with no small freezer bit at the top.

But then again I haven't met you. To my knowledge.

I've never seen that clip before. Did Johnny Giles give his name to condoms or something?

It was haemorrhoid cream. Johnny Giles = Piles.

Johnny Giles condoms does have a certain Je ne sais quoi though. ;)

• ceadaoin. wrote: »
    If you always have a well stocked cupboard with tinned tomatoes, stock cubes, herbs, pasta, rice etc. then it doesn't take much to put a meal together. If I buy mince I normally use half for a bolognese and half for a chilli the next night. I've already got most of the other ingredients I need so don't need to buy them every time. That's better value than a microwave meal and a lot healthier

Takes a hell of a lot of time to cook and wash up all the dishes compared to throwing something in the microwave for 5 minutes.

As for freezing extra portions, plenty of people don't have a freezer. I haven't had one for about 5 years.
    No its not impossible, you are just trying to change the goalposts now!
    People usually (though not always) end up using processed foods because they are either to lazy to cook, or to lazy to learn how to cook properly.

It's very often not about laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

W123-80's wrote: »

I have not actually checked prices, but am 100% sure in some instances I have allowed too much budget for some ingredients.

1lb mince €5.00
    2 x tins tomatoes €2.00
    1 x carrots (large) €0.50
    2 x Onion (Large) €0.70
    2 x sticks celery €0.35
    2 x cloves garlic €0.20
    Spagetti €2.00
    Total €12.05

Approx €3.02 per portion (Large)
    You can get a tube of tomato puree, spaghetti and cans of tomatoes in Aldi for less than €1 each. Mince would be cheaper too. Dunnes and Tesco often have offers on mince as do butchers. You could make it a cheaper than that.

1lb mince €5.00
    2 x tins tomatoes €2.00
    1 x Onion (Large) €0.70
    2 x sticks celery €0.35
    2 x cloves garlic €0.20
    Spagetti €2.00
    Total €12.05

Approx €3.02 per portion (Large)

Cloves? Eeeeeeewwwwwww. You just ruined my dinner :(

Edit: :pac:

Cloves of garlic. That makes much more sense. Carry on :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

What if they live alone and don't have a fridge? :p

• I have never, ever met someone who didn't have a freezer. Ever.

Wow. We obviously move in different circles. I don't have one and most of my friends in rental accommodation don't either.
    Candie wrote: »
    Its far from impossible, it just takes a bit of planning and minimal work.

That's why people exist on convenience food. Because it's more convenient for the lazy.

And those who have mobility issues, work ridiculous hours, don't have freezers, can't buy in bulk, just don't enjoy cooking...

And those who have mobility issues, work ridiculous hours, don't have freezers, can't buy in bulk, just don't enjoy cooking...

I would say those people are likely to be in the minority of convenience food purchasers.

You can cook fish and veg in the microwave.

Edit: Whole load of stuff you can cook in the microwave, in fact.

It was haemorrhoid cream. Johnny Giles = Piles.

Ah. Well, I feel stupid now!:o

Johnny Giles condoms does have a certain Je ne sais quoi though. ;)

Maybe a goal-keeper's name would be more appropriate.;) Oliver Kahn was an excellent goalie when I was a teenager.

A pack of Ollie's there, love!

Ah. Well, I feel stupid now!:o
    Only now?:)
    Maybe a goal-keeper's name would be more appropriate.;) Oliver Kahn was an excellent goalie when I was a teenager.

A pack of Ollie's there, love![

They'd probably be called Oliver Kahn Nots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Any man in his 30's who uses Lynx is definitely single.

:confused: The confusedness is from knowing a fair few non-single 30-something men who use Lynx. Don't see what the big deal is, it's just deodorant!

1lb mince €5.00
    2 x tins tomatoes €2.00
    1 x Onion (Large) €0.70
    Dried Herbs €0.50
    2 x sticks celery €0.35
    2 x cloves garlic €0.20
    Spagetti €2.00
    Total €12.55

So ...16 times the price of this...:eek:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274747434

Must try harder. :D

Only now?:)

They'd probably be called Oliver Kahn Nots!

Ouch! A double whammy! Or as the solicitors of some couple with an unplanned pregnancy would say to Ollie, "Twins!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

1lb mince €5.00
    2 x tins tomatoes €2.00
    1 x Onion (Large) €0.70
    Dried Herbs €0.50
    2 x sticks celery €0.35
    2 x cloves garlic €0.20
    Spagetti €2.00
    Total €12.55

you have overpriced a few items both mostly spot on. I would however ditch the feckin celery and add red wine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

I dont have a fridge or a freezer. My fridge broken down about 7 months ago.

• Ah come on now! Everyone has a freeze box in their fridge.

No, they don't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I stare blindly into space, sometimes I try calculate to the decimal point how much my shopping will be but if the person in front of me tried to kill the cashier I probably wouldn't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Was in Dunnes one evening picking up a few last minute things to prepare for a party I was having. I purchased 3 things:
    A bottle of vodka (for making vodka jelly and general drinking or same)
    A bottle of bleach (wanted to clean the bathroom before the guests came)
    A box of matches (for lighting a few scented candles to add to the atmosphere at my party).

I do realise however that I must have looked like an absolute nut job in the queue to whoever was behind me.

I don't really understand why people buy processed food. It's muck.

Sometimes it's sooo good though.

Do you eat pasta? Sausages? Beans? If so, they're processed. :)

• Advertisement

I don't have one at the moment. And have lived in a few rentals with no freezers, just one of those tiddly little fridges.

It's annoying but during the week I make things like stew, curries and soup that are grraaand for up to 3 days in the fridge.

:confused: The confusedness is from knowing a fair few non-single 30-something men who use Lynx. Don't see what the big deal is, it's just deodorant!

Thread is about assumptions. I'd assume by the time someone hits their 30's they'd grow out of Lynx. It's the smell of teenage boy angst. Like Impulse is for teenage girls.

As for freezing extra portions, plenty of people don't have a freezer. I haven't had one for about 5 years.

Many meals and roast meats keep well for 3 days in the fridge. You don't need a freezer to do the batch cooking thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Thread is about assumptions. I'd assume by the time someone hits their 30's they'd grow out of Lynx. It's the smell of teenage boy angst. Like Impulse is for teenage girls.
    Oops. Thought you were being sarcastic!

Oops. Thought you were being sarcastic!

Ah I was, but it's something I do associate with kids or single men - don't know why the single, but the kids is self explanatory.

I used to love the white Impulse, and I shudder whenever I catch a whiff of it now. :)

• Advertisement

So ...16 times the price of this...:eek:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274747434

Must try harder. :D

Ewwww. :(

• Many meals and roast meats keep well for 3 days in the fridge. You don't need a freezer to do the batch cooking thing.

Makes it much harder, though. You're not gonna eat the same dinner more than twice in a week, so you're limited in how much you can cook at once.

I'd assume by the time someone hits their 30's they'd grow out of Lynx.

You assumed wrong. ;) It's just a brand of deodorant. People are judgmental about the strangest things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I was in tesco last week. I had 2 bottles of wine, 2 apples, 2 bananas, 2 pears and 2 of other fruits. 2 cupcakes, 2 bottles of orange juice, 2 packets of crisps and a bottle of lube.

The way I put them on the belt was like they were all going on Noahs ark, and then the lube trailing along paddy last.

Everyone took a double take, the cashier started laughing and my sister said 'at least its not singular items and lube'

Ya that probably put the cashier's mind at ease alright.. that you weren't single.... but at least you were spared from the revelation that you are BUYING LUBE WITH YOUR SISTER....

Makes it much harder, though. You're not gonna eat the same dinner more than twice in a week, so you're limited in how much you can cook at once.

I often eat the same thing three nights in a row. During a work week, I just see food as fuel so don't really care as long as it's nourishing.

No, they don't...

Well then they're really going to have some difficulty storing their trolley load of microwavable dinners, pizzas, frozen chicken nuggets etc., aren't they? Most of that stuff is frozen.

I don't freeze any food, work late nights, am on a tight budget but haven't touched a microwavable dinner since 2004 (student days). Plenty of non-processed stuff you can bung in the microwave to cook with little fuss. YOu can store food in your fridge if you eat it within a week anyway. You don't need to freeze it.

bubblypop wrote: »
    so, there was a guy infront of me today in the dunnes grocery dept.

he had the usual boy toilet things, linx shower gel, deodarant, and shave gel.
    he then had parmessan cheese.
    broccoli
    spinach
    eggs.

i totally made an assumption about him!
    he looked in his 30's

not married, sharing with people he doesnt know too well.
    but seems to be interested in healthy food.

trying to be healthy but didnt really look like he goes to gym too often!!
    ( maybe he is only starting!)
    am i terrible making assumptions???!!

do u make assumptions based on grocery shopping ahead of you on belt?

honestly, i thought he looked pretty good, and was really juggling with askingt him to join me in a bottle of wine///or justa runing away in case he hought im a complete lunatic alco!!

amazing the things u think of in other peoples hats!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

People have a right auld gawk into your basket/trolley here in Madrid and make no bones about it! Not subtle in the slightest! This gives me permission to do the same. There were 3 black African men dressed in traditional [insert African country here] gettup with 3 trolley loads full of Capri Sun in the supermarket yesterday. You'd wonder what 's going on there, wouldn't you?
    Maybe they had kidnapped two innocent girls at gun point and were going to make them take the "Capri Sun" back in their luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My shopping of items solely bought from special offers in Tescos must make a great impression. Mightn't like it or want it, but it's on offer so I must buy it. Tesco's make it so easy since it's all on the middle row and just walk down picking up what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

You can buy a chicken for a fiver. Use one breast to have a potato dinner, the other to make chicken curry and use the meat from the legs/thigh to make sandwiches. You could even make the breast last three meals and make a chicken supreme. Bacon bits and a can of chicken soup is real cheap in Lidl. When I'm on a budget I can make a chicken go really far without eating the same thing all the time.

• Advertisement

Sometimes it's sooo good though.

Do you eat pasta? Sausages? Beans? If so, they're processed. :)

Hmmm. Good point. I'd eat tins of beans alright and lots of bread which is often white and biscuits etc. I think Woopsy is talking about those who ONLY eat processed food - when you see someone with with a trolley with ONLY processed crap in it, you do judge and it's very hard not to, particularly if they seem to be shopping for a family. Probably not fair to judge but there ye go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A girl walks up to the check out in her local supermarket. She takes one banana, one apple, one orange, half a litre of milk, half a sliced pan, 2 yoghurts, a packet of crisps and a packet of biscuits from her shopping basket and lays them on the belt.
    The check out guy scans them through and says to her "your single, right?"
    She replies "Yes I am, I guess you can tell that from the items I'm buying"
    "No he replies....your fucking pig ugly!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I was in tesco last week. I had 2 bottles of wine, 2 apples, 2 bananas, 2 pears and 2 of other fruits. 2 cupcakes, 2 bottles of orange juice, 2 packets of crisps and a bottle of lube.

The way I put them on the belt was like they were all going on Noahs ark, and then the lube trailing along paddy last.

Everyone took a double take, the cashier started laughing and my sister said 'at least its not singular items and lube'

At least your sister was there to share all that with you.

You can get a tube of tomato puree, spaghetti and cans of tomatoes in Aldi for less than €1 each. Mince would be cheaper too. Dunnes and Tesco often have offers on mince as do butchers. You could make it a cheaper than that.

I know, I was upping the budget on most items to avoid claims I couldn't get stuff that cheap.

I know, I was upping the budget on most items to avoid claims I couldn't get stuff that cheap.

Can you get to 19c a portion yet? :pac:

:D Every little helps :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

It looks like its the self-service checkouts for me from here on out then.....ya nosey bástards.

mutley18 wrote: »
    It looks like its the self-service checkouts for me from here on out then.....ya nosey bástards.

You must have something to hide? Melons is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

You must have something to hide? Melons is it?

Well I usually buy a cucumber, are people going to assume I give myself a prostate exam with it? I mean I buy other things too, the cucumber on its own would look weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The lady with all the weight watchers yogurts and biscuit bars and ready meals and she's doing real well til she starts unloading the Pringles and chocolate and stuff and not a vegetable in sight.

Otherwise I don't really judge because I don't pay enough attention

• Advertisement

Can you get to 19c a portion yet? :pac:

:D Every little helps :D

Confident I could get very very close if I was to use the rations of meat, tomato & spagetti in the €0.19 tin you linked. Chances are it would be tastier too.

But thats off topic..;)

Advertisement