Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

making assumptions based on shopping on belt in front of you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I didn't say it couldn't be done. I cook from scratch every day. I'm fortunate enough to have regular working hours, a proper kitchen and money for fresh ingredients.

I'm saying there are plenty of reasons that people eat processed food which have little to do with them being lazy. I don't know why people are so judgemental of those who have little time and just don't want to spend it cooking. The last thing on earth I wanted to do when I arrived home at 1am after a long shift was to cook, and I'm someone who does love cooking and food generally. For people who don't, I totally understand why they'd grab a microwave meal or go to the chipper.

I'm sure most of us are guilty of bunging a few sausages and oven chips on every so often or getting a take away.

The reason I cook a whole chicken, spag bol, stew, stuff like that, is that it might take 30/40 minutes prep time when you cook it the first time, but very little the second or third day.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I didn't say it couldn't be done. I cook from scratch every day. I'm fortunate enough to have regular working hours, a proper kitchen and money for fresh ingredients.

I'm saying there are plenty of reasons that people eat processed food which have little to do with them being lazy. I don't know why people are so judgemental of those who have little time and just don't want to spend it cooking. The last thing on earth I wanted to do when I arrived home at 1am after a long shift was to cook, and I'm someone who does love cooking and food generally. For people who don't, I totally understand why they'd grab a microwave meal or go to the chipper.

I get that if someone works a huge amount of days in a row, cooking isn't going to be a priority.

But most people won't work more than 5 or 6 days in a row. Say you work six days in a row. You can batch cook to cover 3 of those days. Actually 4, for things like stew and (healthy) curries (have dinner the evening you cook the food, then 3 full days after that equals 3 more dinners). Then you have 2/3 days to fill right? Omelettes and other egg-based things. Nature's fast food. Pork chops are inexpensive and take 7-8 minutes to fry in a pan. Boil some broccoli and sweet potato whilst they are frying. (Sweet potato cooks way quicker than regular potato, so cutting it up a bit will have it cook as quick as broccoli).

And a small amount of processed foods that aren't too bad, such as beans and rashers, are OK around one a week. Have them with eggs.

Yes, you'll be eating a repetitive diet. But, as someone who has worked 12-15 hour days before, I can tell you that when I got home from work, all I wanted was some healthy fuel, I wouldn't have cared if I'd eaten it the two or three nights before. It certainly bet eating crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

WEEKLY SHOPPING LIST

5 litres of whiskey √

Box of shotgun shells √

Bag of lime √

Copy of "Barely Legal" √

Copy of "Soldier of Fortune" √

7 tins of beans √

1 loaf of white bread √

All done here, see you next week shopkeep.

Joys of Walmart, no more pesky trip to the gun store, one trip, done.
    Caonima wrote: »
    At risk of sounding pedantic, a real spaghetti bolognese doesn't include carrots or celery. Above is basically a casserole.

It does, but they are cooked down to mush before the meat is added.
    cassid wrote: »
    I agree with you, I don't use carrot or celery but have been in Italy and got them in my sauce and many receipts include them as well.

Send it back, thats raw :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

MadsL wrote: »
    JIt does, but they are cooked down to mush before the meat is added.

I know, but still, a bolognese doesn't include those ingredients :)

I know, but still, a bolognese doesn't include those ingredients :)

It does. If you make bolognese without, then you don't use an authentic recipe.

Onion, carrot and celery is a holy trinity in Italian cooking called a soffritto, and is the base of many sauces including bolognese.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

Why on earth do you care what people think of you or what you eat. All you need to do is look after yourself. Don't mind other people's shopping jesus people are getting more like machines everyday. Here end it the lesson

It does. If you make bolognese without, then you don't use an authentic recipe.

Onion, carrot and celery is a holy trinity in Italian cooking called a soffritto, and is the base of many sauces including bolognese.

Never have I ever used those ingredients in a bolognese. Got the recipe I use now from a friend who is a chef, and it tastes so much better than the veg mess that is soffritto. Different schools of thought and teaching on this one. Onion, yes, garlic, yes, but no carrot or celery. Longer cooking time, overall (3 hours as opposed to around an hour for the carrot one), but tastes so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Why on earth do you care what people think of you or what you eat. All you need to do is look after yourself. Don't mind other people's shopping jesus people are getting more like machines everyday. Here end it the lesson

Agh!!! Why do a ridiculous amount of people on boards get this wrong?

It's "here endeth the lesson" How does what you said make any sense at all?

Never have I ever used those ingredients in a bolognese.

It doesn't really matter if you use them or not, they are what goes into an authentic one. :) Fair enough if you don't want to add carrot, but they most certainly do have a place in a proper bolognese. In what countries and in what type of cuisine of restaurants did your friend receive his training? I literally can't find even one recipe that doesn't include carrot and celery.

• Advertisement

It doesn't really matter if you use them or not, they are what goes into an authentic one. :) .

Italian cuisine still varies from region to region. I'm not Italian, though, so...

I got tired of the laborious rendering down of the carrots and celery and then my friend advised cooking without them, saying it was the way he was trained. I researched it and found recipes along the line of what he said. I prefer the new one because the bolognese is more meat-orientated and less stew-like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Edit: Whole load of stuff you can cook in the microwave, in fact.

Tbh, I wouldn't trust random fish from the supermarket for microwave cooking.

Just going to share a recipe I have :P

Throw some rice, red lentils, and frozen veg in a bowl. Cover with water and then a plate and microwave for fifteen minutes, drain and serve.

Not the most tasty meal, but very, very nutritious.

You know, I think the whole processed versus bulk works out the same price, unless you cook 6-8 portions.

But I wonder, is Lasagna cheaper to cook? You can buy a kilo for 1-3 euro on special offer. I should weigh my lasagna the next time I cook it...

Italian cuisine still varies from region to region.

Bolognese sauce originates from one region of Italy - the clue is the name...

The three veg are finely diced, the sauce is still a meat sauce (not a tomato one as many think). They add flavour but kinda disappear so are not intrusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Bolognese sauce originates from one region of Italy - the clue is the name...

The three veg are finely diced, the sauce is still a meat sauce (not a tomato one as many think). They add flavour but kinda disappear so are not intrusive.

No he's right. It does vary from region, even sometimes from neighbourhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Never have I ever used those ingredients in a bolognese. Got the recipe I use now from a friend who is a chef, and it tastes so much better than the veg mess that is soffritto. Different schools of thought and teaching on this one. Onion, yes, garlic, yes, but no carrot or celery. Longer cooking time, overall (3 hours as opposed to around an hour for the carrot one), but tastes so much better.

So, your friend cooks it without carrot and celery. That's a little different from stating that real bolognese sause doesn't contain them.
    In 1982 the Italian Academy of Cuisine (Accademia Italiana della Cucina), an organization dedicated to preserving the culinary heritage of Italy, recorded and deposited a recipe for "classic Bolognese ragù" with the Bologna Chamber of Commerce - this recipe contains both carrots and celery.
    So, you see, you and your friend are wrong.

So for future reference instead of coming out with statements like this -
    At risk of sounding pedantic, a real spaghetti bolognese doesn't include carrots or celery. Above is basically a casserole.

Try this instead -
    My friend cooks it without carrots or celery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Seeing as this thread is about assumptions, lets assume that people are adding there own twist to a bolognese recipe by including or excluding carrots & celery.

• Advertisement

So, your friend cooks it without carrot and celery. That's a little different from stating that real bolognese sause doesn't contain them.
    In 1982 the Italian Academy of Cuisine (Accademia Italiana della Cucina), an organization dedicated to preserving the culinary heritage of Italy, recorded and deposited a recipe for "classic Bolognese ragù" with the Bologna Chamber of Commerce - this recipe contains both carrots and celery.
    So, you see, you and your friend are wrong.

So for future reference instead of coming out with statements like this -

Try this instead -

Yeah, silly me for not consulting the Italian Academy before posting the word "real" :rolleyes:

Well golly gee, I think I'm just going to die of embarrassment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Get a room, funboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I was buying some stuff in the supermarket the other day:
    5 single serving meals
    5 small packs of orange juice
    5 of those little packs of cereal

The pretty girl behind the counter flashed a smile and said 'You're single aren't you?'
    I smiled back and said 'I am, yeah...can you tell by what I'm buying?'
    She shook her said and replied 'No...because you're ****ing ugly!'
    Goddammit, I was going to tell that joke :D

Hey guys this thread title reminds me of this really funny joke...

Oh.
    Nevermind...!

:pac:

anncoates wrote: »
    Get a room, funboys.

Fancy a threesome; you, Frank Black, me, and the biggest jar of Ragu we can find :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Yeah, silly me for not consulting the Italian Academy before posting the word "real" :rolleyes:

Well golly gee, I think I'm just going to die of embarrassment...

Don't worry, Boards is full of people making definitive statements which they don't actually have a clue about and are factually incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Buying an Axe?

OMG MUDERER!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Don't worry, Boards is full of people making definitive statements which they don't actually have a clue about and are factually incorrect.

...and if someone proves them incorrect they use sarcasm and smilies to shroud their ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Fancy a threesome; you, Frank Black, me, and the biggest jar of Ragu we can find :p

I'm trying the ragu

• Site Banned Posts: 63 ✭✭Carrie Madshaw

A few years ago a little old lady was in front of me in the queue. Her shopping consisted of a bottle of cheap vodka and a packet of paracetamol. It made me really sad:(

I also judge people in take-aways by what they order, especially if they're fat and they get a mountain of food and a diet coke.

Diet coke just tastes nicer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Was one day last year I wanted to pick up some beer so off the the supermarket I went. I also needed toilet roll. So up I go to the counter with a 6 pack of beer and 6 rolls of toilet paper. I even thought to myself "this looks bad". So I judged myself that day.

Found it hard not to laugh one time when this lady was in front of me in the queue, her items where 1 large bar of chocolate and 1 pack of tampons. She looked pretty pissed off, so given the evidence, I said nothing and tried not to make eye contact.

I also judge people in take-aways by what they order, especially if they're fat and they get a mountain of food and a diet coke.

That's an absolute classic - the diet drink after ordering so much food... they're just plain delusional! :D
    bluewolf wrote: »

Diet soft drinks taste like muck. They're all bad for you, I might as well go for the regular one - I rarely drink them now anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

ok I had this , I wondered what people must have thought I was in Boots and waiting in the queue with the following in my basket

1 ) pkt of nappies
    2) tin of formula
    3) Tube of lube .

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Diet soft drinks taste like muck. They're all bad for you, I might as well go for the regular one - I rarely drink them now anyways.

Well, if I'm drinking one I far prefer the taste of a diet one to a sugary, cloying, sticky regular one!
    Drinking them doesn't always make people delusional

• Advertisement

Drinking them doesn't always make people delusional

You misread that. That statement was directed at the quote, of fat people ordering loads - then topping their order with a diet drink. As if they think they're being 'healthy' doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Davidth88 wrote: »
    ok I had this , I wondered what people must have thought I was in Boots and waiting in the queue with the following in my basket

1 ) pkt of nappies
    2) tin of formula
    3) Tube of lube .

Looks better than my one the other day:

Nappies
    Formula
    Whiskey

I know everyone was looking at me thinking deadbeat dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

1 ) pkt of nappies
    2) tin of formula
    3) Tube of lube .

I wouldn't dream of buying lube in my local supermarket, Jesus the checkout operators are a nosy bunch of ars*holes and they'd probably have to tell everyone they work with that I bought it:D. I really hate when they comment on items with questions about what the real ales taste like, I don't fricking know, they're for my husband. Or the bag pack when someone asked me if I'm vegetarian. No sh*t Sherlock is all the fruit, veg and quorn not a big give away?

Of course last Friday I had a basket of gin, slimline tonic, Hobgoblin ales, pizza, catfood and crisps. Though that doesn't seem strange to me.

But like most people I do feel disgusted when I see someone who is morbidly obese, seriously morbidly obese, pushing a trolley full of soft drinks and junk food. I don't know why really, it's none of my business

I'm trying the ragu

Get your red wings, Wacker....

(can't believe I just posted that...)

Ewww, not it doesn't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I wouldn't dream of buying lube in my local supermarket, Jesus the checkout operators are a nosy bunch of ars*holes and they'd probably have to tell everyone they work with that I bought it:D.

Having worked in a supermarket for almost 5 years I can tell you than we don't remember what most people buy by the time the next customer comes round.

We were too busy gossiping about the lady who wouldn't buy a product with the number 13 on the barcode or best before date. Or the guy who would eat catfood (it was on his breath). Or the fellow staff member who refused to sell condoms because of his religious beliefs. He got an awful bollocking from management over that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

1 ) pkt of nappies
    2) tin of formula
    3) Tube of lube .

:pac:
    whatever you buy with lube or condoms immediately acquires significance. You're telling the shopkeeper what you'll be getting up to with your paraphenalia. I once bought a strip of bandages with condoms. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I love Coke.

I detest the taste of Diet Coke!

On the contrary, a recent study found that more than 73% of statements made on the internet are in fact true*

* this may not be one of them

• Advertisement

mystic86 wrote: »
    I love Coke.

What's your opinion on hookers? You may be mod material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think the best I've managed was a case of beer, a tin of follow on milk forumla and a box of condoms....

What I find really interesting is how the supermarkets can analyze their till reads to learn about what to put near each other in the supermarket to encourage impulse buys. One of the famous ones was putting beer near the nappies to target guys on their way home from work whose wives have called them and told them to pick up nappies on the way home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Sleepy wrote: »
    One of the famous ones was putting beer near the nappies to target guys on their way home from work whose wives have called them and told them to pick up nappies on the way home!
    Citation needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Used to work in tesco on the wine counter for 4 years while I was in college, some of the items I seen were unreal.

Guy with a box of dairy milk chocies, tesco value cider and some earings for 1.39 was a strange one, a hobo with a heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Tbh, I wouldn't trust random fish from the supermarket for microwave cooking.

Throw some rice, red lentils, and frozen veg in a bowl. Cover and microwave for fifteen minutes, drain and serve.

You know, I think the whole processed versus bulk works out the same price, unless you cook 6-8 portions.

But I wonder, is Lasagna cheaper to cook? You can buy a kilo for 1-3 euro on special offer. I should weigh my lasagna the next time I cook it...

If you like horse-lasagne I guess :P :pac:

Going to try that recipe with the rice! I often throw an extra can of lentils/chickpeas/kidney beans into what I am cooking to bulk it up cheaply. Lidl sell them all really cheap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I find those 2L bottles of bleach in lidl and aldi great for clearing the drains, but you do look like a bit of a terrorist if you have more than 2 drains to clear.

Add in a few bottles of vinegar and a pile of steel wool/scouring pads next time. See what happens. :D

Something I've started doing with Garlic and Ginger is running it through the blender and freezing the stuff in ice cube trays. Saves having to chop the stuff up every time and I can fill the trays to the same level so it's the same amount each time.

• Advertisement

humbert wrote: »
    Citation needed!
    IIRC it was featured in Buyology by Martin Lindstrom.

Interesting fact from the same book: supermarket trolleys have gotten increasingly bigger since the 50's as psychologists linked having a full shopping trolley to a feeling of happiness. Bigger trolleys lead to bigger shopping bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Sleepy wrote: »
    One of the famous ones was putting beer near the nappies to target guys on their way home from work whose wives have called them and told them to pick up nappies on the way home!

Not permissible in Ireland, thanks to the RRAI policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

Throw some rice, red lentils, and frozen veg in a bowl. Cover and microwave for fifteen minutes, drain and serve.

Is there enough water in the frozen veg to cook the rice and lentils? Or is it 99% veg and a 4 grains of rice and 6 lentils?

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Not permissible in Ireland, thanks to the RRAI policy.
    Interesting, is it the use of their sales data that the policy forbids? Or just promoting alcohol sales in such a fashion?

And, forgive my ignorance but do the RRAI have any teeth? Or is it just industry self-regulation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Is there enough water in the frozen veg to cook the rice and lentils? Or is it 99% veg and a 4 grains of rice and 6 lentils?

I forgot to mention the water:o

I boil a kettle and cover it completely. I put the water about two inches above the food, but it depends on how many lentils you use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement