Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom fibre ballinasloe

• 10-09-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Does anyone have any idea on when services should be live??

I know the map says October-December but as yet I've only seen kn laying orange cable but that was a good few weeks ago

There is no sign of fibre cabs anywhere

Has anyone any insider knowledge on the proposed cab install dates/launch date??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You're right. KN haven't been around for over 2 weeks. Sub duct is completed and pressure tested. New manholes/chambers installed around Creagh and Jubilee St near the rear of the exchange.
    Existing ancient copper cabs have been replaced in preparation but nothing since. It's starting to look like 2014 at this stage. I can't see them having 17 cabs installed, fibred, commissioned and live before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You're right. KN haven't been around for over 2 weeks. Sub duct is completed and pressure tested. New manholes/chambers installed around Creagh and Jubilee St near the rear of the exchange.
    Existing ancient copper cabs have been replaced in preparation but nothing since. It's starting to look like 2014 at this stage. I can't see them having 17 cabs installed, fibred, commissioned and live before Christmas.

That would be the case for Ballinasloe last to get everything as per

My cab is a stones throw from the house so im looking at full throttle hopefully
    when it eventually comes in.

You hardley know anyone who works with them do ya who might have a clear date?

I know plenty that live locally and work for them (Eircom) and are currently working on the roll out. They were fairly certain of being live pre-christmas. but something must be delaying it. They were correct on dates they gave me so far, like start of works and the different stages etc.

First vdsl cab done in Ballinasloe. How the hoors got it done unknown to me I'll never know. Appears to be done about a week.
    Power connected but no sticker.

Only 16 more to go (or 15 depending who you're talking to).

273146.jpg

Happy days it looks like a pre Xmas live date should be a good bet,,,I drive past 3 each day going to work so I'll keep my eyes peeled for any more,,,well overdue for town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 iscom

Just happen to Googled to see if any updates on Fibre broadband in Ballinasloe and came across this posting. . .I have seen a few eircom workers doing work with cables and boxes around the Ballinasloe Area I am in Pollboy and see that a box near me looks like it been updated plus I saw a guy doing something with the box a few weeks ago. . . so fingers crossed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

mickyoc85 wrote: »
    Happy days it looks like a pre Xmas live date should be a good bet,,,I drive past 3 each day going to work so I'll keep my eyes peeled for any more,,,well overdue for town

Laid the Cables and Cabinets in my Area in Wicklow 6months ago not going live until 6th November don't get you're hopes up!

iscom wrote: »
    Just happen to Googled to see if any updates on Fibre broadband in Ballinasloe and came across this posting. . .I have seen a few eircom workers doing work with cables and boxes around the Ballinasloe Area I am in Pollboy and see that a box near me looks like it been updated plus I saw a guy doing something with the box a few weeks ago. . . so fingers crossed

Only one fibre cab in place yet down Taughmaconnell rd (pic above).
    Lots of work being done to the old copper cabinets in preparation though.
    Some of the older ones have been replaced/upgraded but you need to watch out for a second cabinet installed beside or close to the old ones.
    Between Jan and March is the current dates for launch from Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

there is already customers in ballinasloe wit efibre

there is already customers in ballinasloe wit efibre

Where? Can't think how unless they're testers fed from the exchange.
    Only one cab in place and that's only there since late September and not live.

• Advertisement

KN back in town and have begun the installing the remaining cabinets.
    Started with cab # BSE1-010 at the mart.

Not hanging about either. Nothing there this morning. This evening, cabinet plinth in place, power mini pillar for power done and footpath reinstated.

New cab installed at at the mart this morning.
    Concrete barely gone off since yesterday.......

276620.jpg

KN surveying in Pollboy yesterday. Looks like ye'll be getting at least one yere cabs up there soon enough. It will be going around the corner from the existing one towards Square D entrance.

http://goo.gl/maps/nsw6m

Work has begun on the cabinet at Kilgarve. KN crew there today bringing power to the site of the new cabinet. It will be going right next to the existing one.

http://goo.gl/maps/u9IzQ

Work has begun on the cabinet at Kilgarve. KN crew there today bringing power to the site of the new cabinet. It will be going right next to the existing one.

http://goo.gl/maps/u9IzQ

Plinth done at Kilgarve....

.277579.jpg

Plinth done at Kilgarve....

.277579.jpg

Got talking to a eircom tech who was working on a copper cab in Esker Hills the other day,,thats next for the Fibre cab apparently and he was able to tell me that where i live will be able to get the full speed 70mbit

Got talking to a eircom tech who was working on a copper cab in Esker Hills the other day,,thats next for the Fibre cab apparently and he was able to tell me that where i live will be able to get the full speed 70mbit

Getting close to you now Micky. They've started the cab at the entrance to Esker Hills today. The one beside the motor factors.

Thats the job,,with all the recent activity hopefully the launch date might change to Nov/December time.

Cab being installed currently at entrance to esker hills

Getting closer to me in Cúil Na Canálacht . . I don't want to upgrade my Router till I find out what changes to my connections will be

• Advertisement

Getting closer to me in Cúil Na Canálacht . . I don't want to upgrade my Router till I find out what changes to my connections will be

Are they installing a cab there at the moment?

Are they installing a cab there at the moment?

No. Haven't been up there today but they hadn't started any groundwork up to yesterday. Cab also installed in Garbally Drive this morning as well and probably Kilgarve. They had a few on board to install.

They've now moved to Hillcrest to start on that one.
    They seem to be doing them very randomly.
    iscom wrote:

Some knob kicked over the existing cabinet during the week up there. That'll have to be sorted as well.

I just seen it, it looks very vulnerable where it is as it looks like its a free standing whereas most boxs are very close to a wall, guess it need to be sucurely fix the the boarding

I noticed a few cabs on the truck this morning,,was hoping they would install mine in Esker and commision it haha,,im hopeful of a pre xmas launch as a ps4 looks like a possibilty of Santa this year and a decent upload speed would be great:D

Esker Hills.....
    278177.jpg

Garbally Drive.....
    278178.jpg

Kilgarve.....Looks like they mounted it back to front
    278179.jpg

Eircom and esb were at the cab in Esker Hills this morning

Eircom and esb were at the cab in Esker Hills this morning

Saw them there all right. They don't be long after the cab is landed.

Working again in Hillcrest today and also started on the cab at the Emerald Ballroom/fire station. Getting that one done while the school is closed.

There seems to be a pig push to get them done,,i reckon we may be able to order for a pre Xmas install at this rate,,,that must be six or seven in the space of a week already is it?

There seems to be a pig push to get them done,,i reckon we may be able to order for a pre Xmas install at this rate,,,that must be six or seven in the space of a week already is it?

I didn't see anyone pushing a pig.....:p:p:p:D

5 done, 2 in progress and 16 in total.
    4 done since the 19th.

They're cracking on with it all right. 2 every 3 days at this pace.

• Advertisement

Pollboy (Square D)cab plinth in place as well. That's 3 site being worked on at the same time. The 3, Hillcrest Park, Society street & Pollboy, are ready for concrete tomorrow.

I think the Esker hills cab is imminent,,i seen KN guys there before i was heading to work

Yesterday I got a card from Vodafone saying the Fibre Broadband was now in my neighbourhood and they will be in touch soon. . So can't be that long ( famous last words ) and see guys working at Square D . .my internet usage for this month was over 90gb hate to think what it will be when I get the Fibre connection

Cabinets landed at the 3 locations even before the concrete.:pac:

They put the fibre cab beside the gate of the national school in Society Street which seems a bit odd and next to the pedestrian crossing. 20/30 metres away from the copper cab. Involved a good bit of work including a new man hole and access chamber constructed. Doing concrete there now.

Yesterday I got a card from Vodafone saying the Fibre Broadband was now in my neighbourhood and they will be in touch soon. . So can't be that long ( famous last words ) and see guys working at Square D . .my internet usage for this month was over 90gb hate to think what it will be when I get the Fibre connection

I wouldnt put much stock in that letter from Vodafone,,i received a simular
    one in July from Eircom to the same effect,,i would say the fibre availabilty map on the Eircom site is the clearest indicator as to the live date

Another thing that may happen even when Ballinasloe does eventually go live,,,no all the cabs might be commisioned at the same time,,something live 40% of cabs need to be commisoned and up and running for an area to be deemed live.

I wouldnt put much stock in that letter from Vodafone,,i received a simular
    one in July from Eircom to the same effect,,i would say the fibre availabilty map on the Eircom site is the clearest indicator as to the live date

Another thing that may happen even when Ballinasloe does eventually go live,,,no all the cabs might be commisioned at the same time,,something live 40% of cabs need to be commisoned and up and running for an area to be deemed live.
    A cab can commissioned but not live.
    That's true all right about the 40% but I doubt it will happen here.
    We only have 16 cabs with 3600 phone lines which is small compared to bigger towns and cities.
    I reckon they'll whack them all on together. The possible exception might be a cab or 2 with technical problems.

• Advertisement

No sign of any work on any other areas this week

The map on the eircom site has a more specific date for the town aswell,,,launching in Feb '14 apparently

Nothing since Friday last except for Eircom working on the new cab at Kilgarve.

The two more cabinets are now in place and the groundwork done. Not powered or fibre connected yet. I don't think any of the cabs are powered yet.

Pollboy........

279857.jpg

Hillcrest.........

279858.jpg

KN back working in town again. They started on the Hymany Park cab yesterday. There again today.

Just wondering when they will get around to doing Cuil Na Canalaght each time I pass the box I try and see if any more work as been done to it. but as they say " A Watched Kettle. . . "

• Advertisement

They might make a burst this week and next to get the rest of them installed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone else getting connection issues at the minute. I'm near the Hillcrest box, and the broadband has been very intermittent this past week.

While Taken the Kids to school I was confronted by a number of construction vehicles outside the Cuil Na Canalaght box then drove pass the Pollboy box and there was a Eircom man working on the box on the way back the Eircom man was still there sitting on chair with lots of connections within the box then when got to Cuil Na Canalaght there was a mini digger digging opposite the cabinet so wondering if they are going to reposition the bin to the other side of the road . .Anyway it looks like its full steam ahead
    UPDATE (Sat 16/11/13) . . yes they have move the position to the other side of the road they have built a new plinth so all it need is the cabinet now so maybe they will be back on monday

While Taken the Kids to school I was confronted by a number of construction vehicles outside the Cuil Na Canalaght box then drove pass the Pollboy box and there was a Eircom man working on the box on the way back the Eircom man was still there sitting on chair with lots of connections within the box then when got to Cuil Na Canalaght there was a mini digger digging opposite the cabinet so wondering if they are going to reposition the bin to the other side of the road . .Anyway it looks like its full steam ahead

I'd say the cabinet will be installed there very shortly if thats the case.

I got talking to an Eircom Tech this morning by chance and he reckons that all planned cabs will be in place by the end of this month,,with possible orders being accepted by mid December so we might not have to wait until February to finally get decent broadband:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looks like all the boxes are being worked on this morning, seen vans at the Hillcrest, Poolboy and Kilgarve relay boxes hopefully there will be no more interruptions to services after this.

Cúil Na Canálacht Plinth and ducting went in today opposite the existing cab.
    ESB doing connections as well at Esker Hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gal2Dub

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question, I live out the Kiltormer side of town about 5 km's from Hillcrest. What are the chnaces of us getting efibre? We are currently on around 1mb. On the map Eircom have on their website we are just within the area for fibre. I know its just a rough guide but would there be any hope of getting faster broadband?

Moved home from Dublin over a year ago and when I was in Dublin UPC were just after giving us 100mb broadband, now we are back on 1mb.

Thanks
    Gal2Dub.

Gal2Dub wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Just a quick question, I live out the Kiltormer side of town about 5 km's from Hillcrest. What are the chnaces of us getting efibre? We are currently on around 1mb. On the map Eircom have on their website we are just within the area for fibre. I know its just a rough guide but would there be any hope of getting faster broadband?

Moved home from Dublin over a year ago and when I was in Dublin UPC were just after giving us 100mb broadband, now we are back on 1mb.

Thanks
    Gal2Dub.
    Zero I'm afraid. At present they're only selling out to 2kms from the cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gal2Dub

Zero I'm afraid. At present they're only selling out to 2kms from the cabinets.

Thanks kaizersoze,
    I knid of knew the answer already :(, but just said I would ask anyway!

Eircom should update their map, to be more accurate, rather than getting peoples hopes up. I know the map says its not accurate. But Eircom should have it right.

Thanks again

Today there was three ESB vans at the Cuil Na Cuil Canalght box today and my my only thought was the average wage of a ESB worker is €65,000 a year and how many does it take to change a light bulb :D. . . so just need the cabinet to be fitted now

• Advertisement
Advertisement