Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to classical music

Options
  • 10-09-2013 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

So I went to my first symphony performance a few months back - Beethoven's 9th with the RTE NSO. I wasn't that blown away until I heard something familiar which was the 4th movement - and ode to joy with a choral backing.

While searching for more classical I was familiar with, I happened across Mr. Holland's Opus soundtrack and the second movement of Beethoven's 7th. Then searching for a decent performance on Youtube lead me to this full version performance which I have find completely hypnotic.

I suppose at the moment this is probably the type of classical I am liking, so what I am asking is what other boardsies think would be good to listen to?

Obviously I'm open to suggestions of music by other composers!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Beethoven's Pastoral symphony, no. 6 is another beautiful work! :)

Beethoven was a student of Josef Haydn, who wrote 104 symphonies, along with several Masses, concertos, chamber music etc.

Some good stuff to listen to by Haydn:

Symphonies 22, 44, 94, 101, 104. (Just plucked these at random off the top of my head).

Cello Concertos 1 and 2, some really joyful movements there.

If you liked the Choral part of Beethoven's Ninth, have a listen to some of the choral sections of Haydn's "The Seasons" and "The Creation" oratorios.
    (The Seasons; "Come Gentle Spring")
    (The Creation: "The Heavens are Telling"

I'm fairly sure you'll find most, if not all, of these on Youtube. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks for the info Aglomerado - I'm probably not too interested in the choral side of it. I certainly like the up-lifting feeling of Beethoven's Pastoral symphony, no.6.

I'll tip through the other suggestions. Thanks!

Just thought of another: Mendelssohn's Symphony no. 4 "Italian". Especially the first movement; a really lively piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Are you only interested in orchestral/symphonic? I would give Saint Saens' 3rd Symphony a shot as well - some lovely bits of that and also the Danse Macabre. I also just listened to Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien and another possibility is Dvorak's New World Symphony.

I do a nice line in recommending piano concertos if you're ready to move onto those (Beethoven's 5th in particular...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

These are my favourites:
    Tchaikovsky's Violin concerto
    Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony
    Brahms 2nd symphony
    Shostakovich 5th Symphony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Have you seen the film Immortal Beloved (1994), with Gary Oldman as Beethoven?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

HansHolzel wrote: »
    Have you seen the film Immortal Beloved (1994), with Gary Oldman as Beethoven?

Nope, I don't think so.

I am developing an ear for classical - whose music and what type I like, I dunno yet. Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll certainly work my way through the above list of music to get a feel for what I like.

Certainly enjoying Beethoven's 6th at the moment. Whenever I listen to Beethoven's 5th I just think the start is overplayed? Can I even say that without offending the masses?!

The masses will hardly be looking at this thread ;-) so i'd say you're safe enough

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

astrofluff wrote: »
    Nope, I don't think so.

I am developing an ear for classical - whose music and what type I like, I dunno yet. Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll certainly work my way through the above list of music to get a feel for what I like.

Certainly enjoying Beethoven's 6th at the moment. Whenever I listen to Beethoven's 5th I just think the start is overplayed? Can I even say that without offending the masses?!

It certainly is. The final movement of the 5th has all the oomph :P

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭claypigeon777

Here are a few suggestions.:)

Richard Wagner

J S Bach

Gustav Mahler

Gustav Holst

Vivaldi

Two of the greatest modern composers are undoubtedly Ennio Morricone & John Barry who have composed many scores for movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Karlpopper

If you are looking for something smaller and more intimate, then try some piano music or chamber music, such as:
    1. Bach - Goldberg Variations (by Glenn Gould),
    2. Bach - Cello Suites (by Yo Yo Ma)
    3. Debussy - Preludes
    4. Ravel - Miroirs
    5. Debussy - Nocturnes
    6. Shostakovich. Preludes and Fugues (by Vladimir Ashkenazy)
    7. Scriabin - Preludes
    8. Shostakovich - String Quartets 1, 2 and 8
    9. Albeniz - Iberia
    10. Mompou - Piano Music
    11. Satie - Piano Music
    12. Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings.
    Enjoy.

Karl Popper is a good name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Annie Laurie

You might enjoy Peer Gynt Suite 1 by Grieg and The Hebridies by Mendelssohn (perfect for the wet-windy weather we're having at the moment). The second movement of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2 will sound familiar but you won't know why (unless you're a Celine Dion fan and then you'll be able to pinpoint it fairly clearly)
    Classical music is food for the soul- I hope you'll enjoy exploring it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You can get albums that contain nothing but pieces of classical music that have been used in TV shows, adverts and movies. It sounds like pure philistinisim, but they actually are a rather good taster of exciting, evocative, moving, quirky or catchy pieces. After all, the advertisers or producers wouldn't use them if they didn't get an audience response.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You can get albums that contain nothing but pieces of classical music that have been used in TV shows, adverts and movies. It sounds like pure philistinisim, but they actually are a rather good taster of exciting, evocative, moving, quirky or catchy pieces. After all, the advertisers or producers wouldn't use them if they didn't get an audience response.

This is a good way to start getting into classical music all right. You'll hear pieces you recognise and like on these albums and you can go in search of more music by whichever composer takes your fancy, then that will lead you on to checking out their contemporaries... and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Honeygatherer

I would suggest you listen to Antonin Dvoraks 9th Symphony 'From the New World'; the second movement 'Largo' is better known as the hymn 'Going Home' often sung/played at funerals.
    Also keeping with the Czech theme please listen to Bedrich Smetanas series of tone poems entitled 'Ma Vlaast' (My Homeland) especially the second called 'Vltava' or 'Die Moldau' (from the times when Czechia was part of Austro-Hungary, I think there is no more beautiful piece of music. I am a total Czechophile and happy to admit it. There are many beautiful pieces of classical music out there, go listen and see how the spirit moves you. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CL1970

I would suggest you listen to Antonin Dvoraks 9th Symphony 'From the New World'; the second movement 'Largo' is better known as the hymn 'Going Home' often sung/played at funerals.
    Also keeping with the Czech theme please listen to Bedrich Smetanas series of tone poems entitled 'Ma Vlaast' (My Homeland) especially the second called 'Vltava' or 'Die Moldau' (from the times when Czechia was part of Austro-Hungary, I think there is no more beautiful piece of music. I am a total Czechophile and happy to admit it. There are many beautiful pieces of classical music out there, go listen and see how the spirit moves you. Enjoy.

Thanks, I "stole" your advice and really enjoyed it!
    cheers

Advertisement