Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Early Nineties Irish anti-drinking video

Options
  • 10-09-2013 11:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi all, just copying this from After Hours.

Would love to know if anyone remembers this video:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I've been asking a few old school friends of mine if they remember anything about this video and nobody seems to remember! We must have been only 13-14 when the teacher showed it us.

Anyway it was an irish-made video about the dangers of alcohol and it was split into 3 parts each featuring a separate person from different walks of society. i just remember two segments - a housewife from D4 who used do the dog at cheese and wine receptions and drink drive and who also used keep naggins of vodka hidden around the house.

Most memorably though I seem to remember this country farmer type guy who got married to this one. Anyway on the wedding day they were driving to the church and I remember him telling the best man to stop as they'd "time for a few scoops" then we witnessed the two boys peg it into the local and sink a couple of quick pints!
    Next we're at the wedding ceremony and the groom has your one on his lap saying "well now lads, didn't I do well for myself?". Anyway flash forward to the honeymoon and your one's in swimming in the pool saying "well Pat won't you come in the water's lovely?" and he's sitting on a deck-chair hungover rubbing his belly saying "Ah nah love I'm grand I'll just be sitting here a while" ! So fast forward again and we see the women holding the baby and your man storms in from the pub with his buddy and a six pack of Harp bottles! Anyway your one starts giving out to him and he starts beating the crap out of her in front of his friend!

Sorry i was rambling in this but does anybody remember this video at all? Noone i know does and I'm wondering if it's a figment of my imagination?

What would be ultra-cool if someone uploaded to youtube but I searched and couldn't find anything!

Anyone remember this tape?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

welkin wrote: »
    Hi all, just copying this from After Hours.

Would love to know if anyone remembers this video:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I've been asking a few old school friends of mine if they remember anything about this video and nobody seems to remember! We must have been only 13-14 when the teacher showed it us.

Anyway it was an irish-made video about the dangers of alcohol and it was split into 3 parts each featuring a separate person from different walks of society. i just remember two segments - a housewife from D4 who used do the dog at cheese and wine receptions and drink drive and who also used keep naggins of vodka hidden around the house.

Most memorably though I seem to remember this country farmer type guy who got married to this one. Anyway on the wedding day they were driving to the church and I remember him telling the best man to stop as they'd "time for a few scoops" then we witnessed the two boys peg it into the local and sink a couple of quick pints!
    Next we're at the wedding ceremony and the groom has your one on his lap saying "well now lads, didn't I do well for myself?". Anyway flash forward to the honeymoon and your one's in swimming in the pool saying "well Pat won't you come in the water's lovely?" and he's sitting on a deck-chair hungover rubbing his belly saying "Ah nah love I'm grand I'll just be sitting here a while" ! So fast forward again and we see the women holding the baby and your man storms in from the pub with his buddy and a six pack of Harp bottles! Anyway your one starts giving out to him and he starts beating the crap out of her in front of his friend!

Sorry i was rambling in this but does anybody remember this video at all? Noone i know does and I'm wondering if it's a figment of my imagination?

What would be ultra-cool if someone uploaded to youtube but I searched and couldn't find anything!

Anyone remember this tape?
    Lol I'm pretty sure we were shown this as well,would have been around ,91.Was there a bit with the couple where the hubby finds a book in the house which if memory serves me corectly was titled how to have a baby or something like that which the wife had got,the implication being that yer mans drinking was affecting his performance.When he sees the book he says something like "are you trying to make a fool of me?" and beats her up?And the bit with the D4 housewife ends with her being arrested for drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mickeydazzler

Welkin, I remember seeing the video in religion class in the nineties, but my recollection was that it was made in late 70s early 80s, the cars were yellow coloured Vauxhall Vivas and Morris Marinas and the likes. It was like an early Irish drink aware campaign. Thanks for the memories Welkin!

Welkin, I remember seeing the video in religion class in the nineties, but my recollection was that it was made in late 70s early 80s, the cars were yellow coloured Vauxhall Vivas and Morris Marinas and the likes. It was like an early Irish drink aware campaign. Thanks for the memories Welkin!
    The one I saw was deffo contempoary to when I saw it,late 80's at the earliest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Yeah I remember the state of the car that the groom and the best man were driving to the wedding in!

They pulled up outside the local and it was actually farcical watching the two boys leg it in for a few quick scoops!

Ps: you didn't go to school in cork did you? I also watched the vid in religion class in the nineties!

Around the same time we were shown this,Stoned,an anti drugs film from the 70's.Was anyone else shown this in school?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

only anti drugs film i remember from school was one involving gerry ryan

he may have been rapping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The film was made as a Radharc documentary called Dying For A Drink.

It was originally broadcast in September 1983.

It was also shown in many secondary schools during the mid 1980s. Usually during Civics class.

It's not available on DVD but is currently on the RTE player.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1378-radharc/354383-dying-for-a-drink/

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

It was also shown in many secondary schools during the mid 1980s. Usually during Civics class.

You're a legend m8!

lol he's wearing a "How's the crack?" shirt in Miami!

That's the same one that I saw,1983,it's a lot older than I thought.

• Advertisement

The D4 housewife didn't seem to give a **** she ran over and killed a kid!

Also, love the chain smoking at the AA meetings and in the hospital, how times have changed!
    Loved how Joe asked could he keep his fags going into rehab!

Ita = HOT

Ita = HOT

She'll be on the maternity ward before long alright.

Looking up the lads on the imdb. Dearbhla went on to star in both Glenroe and Killinaskully!

Joe starred in Quincy Down Under with Tom Selleck! lol.

The D4 woman and the doctor also appeared in Walter Macken's Island of The Great Yellow Ox which got a mention in the After Hours Movie thread yesterday. Anything Goes showed it over three parts in 1981.

The D4 dipso also turned up in Father Ted as a fortuneteller.
    The doctor went onto Fair City as Noel McCoy.

Joe "Crack" is from Galway; we have a couple of mutual friends on Facebook. I am pretty sure I was introduced to him in Galway when I was on a stag a few years back. Didn't make the connection until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Advertisement