Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK & Northern Ireland Speed cameras

• 10-09-2013 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads and Lassies,

Anyone ever been done by a speed camera whilst driving in Northern Ireland or in the UK... or do i need to worry only about the traffic police in relation to it?

All advice is muchly appreciated...

DD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

Was goin along though Camden in London a while ago in an artic. It was around 3am and I was doing around 55 in a 30. Out of nowhere the street lit up like there was a lightning storm i was like 'wtf!?'
    Speed cameras.

Heard nothing since :D

Thats my 2 cents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,483 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are 6,000 speed cameras in Britain - compare that to 60 Go-Safe cameras and 100+ Garda cameras on about 3.5 times the road network, so you are about 11 times more likely to come across a speed camera in Britain than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

Victor wrote: »
    There are 6,000 speed cameras in Britain - compare that to 60 Go-Safe cameras and 100+ Garda cameras on about 3.5 times the road network, so you are about 11 times more likely to come across a speed camera in Britain than here.

There are NO flies on you Sir :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Thanks for the reply....I figured that out already..

But what I was looking for was, do they follow your reg to the republic to issue you with a speeding fine, or do they simply ignore it as it would cost yto much to chase it up on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

But what I was looking for was, do they follow your reg to the republic to issue you with a speeding fine, or do they simply ignore it as it would cost yto much to chase it up on?

AFAIK they can't do a foreign reg vehicle on the cameras, yet. They are working on sharing details and it's supposed to have be coming shortly, but they've been saying that for a good while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK they can't do a foreign reg vehicle on the cameras, yet. They are working on sharing details and it's supposed to have be coming shortly, but they've been saying that for a good while now.

i read on the bbc lately that there is a shared resource for chasing cross european fines & tickets but at the moment GB, Ireland and /Belgium arent in it, on our case its probably due to lack of resources that is probably a good thing for a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,483 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks for the reply....I figured that out already..

If caught by the police and they can't summons you, they may arrest you and release you on a bail higher than the expected fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

If caught by the police and they can't summons you, they may arrest you and release you on a bail higher than the expected fine.

Thanks for the response....

I don't really speed, generally +5 or +10. It was more of a "What If" question, but it is also good to know....

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hi Lads and Lassies,

Anyone ever been done by a speed camera whilst driving in Northern Ireland or in the UK... or do i need to worry only about the traffic police in relation to it?

The bit marked in BOLD is what's called a contradiction in terms.

Speed cameras in the UK. Doesn't matter what part of the UK you are biking in . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭BKtje

LordSutch wrote: »
    The bit marked in BOLD is what's called a contradiction in terms.

Speed cameras in the UK. Doesn't matter what part of the UK you are biking in . . .

Northern ireland in this case is actually a superfluous term(if I recall correctly from school). A contradiction would be saying that the North has no speed cameras but that all the UK does, i.e. both can't be true. Anyway, not really important :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

My flipping tax disc holder keeps falling down over my number plate no matter how tightly I do up the piece of string holding it. It must be a pure nuisance for the speed camera lads.

'c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My flipping tax disc holder keeps falling down over my number plate no matter how tightly I do up the piece of string holding it. It must be a pure nuisance for the speed camera lads.

'c

A bike cop was following me out the N81 one day. I got stopped at the lights for Killinarden and he stopped at the back of my bike was leaning over. He then pulled up beside me and kindly informed me that my tax disc was partially blocking my reg and he'd fixed it for me, I was shocked as like you it's on as tight as I could get it!

Advertisement