Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shay Given personal hell

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Money, success and fame don't guarantee mental health.

Go read A Life Too Short. Not really anything to sneer at tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I dunno wtf is with your thread title but surely its refreshing to see someone who wants to play rather than sitting on a bench earning a fortune?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

#prayforshay

Jesus Christ, to make it worse I just read the actual article, where the **** does he talk about his personal hell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ban for OP please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

could he not buy himself out of his contract if he wanted to play or take a wage reduction ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This thread is fairly unfair to Shay Given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

What a ridiculous post, obviously money means everything to you, but to others health = wealth. It can't be easy for footballers who want to prove themselves but don't get their chances. It's possible to be unhappy regardless of your massive paychecks.

mada999 wrote: »
    could he not buy himself out of his contract if he wanted to play or take a wage reduction ?

Depends on Villa really and how much they want as a loan fee I guess. AFAIK he cant buy himself out of his contract until there is a year left, and tbf, why should he?

The club sanctioned the contract, they should honour it. Its more then likely his last contract, again, why should he take a pay cut? He has expressed his frustration at not playing, very understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I dunno wtf is with your thread title but surely its refreshing to see someone who wants to play rather than sitting on a bench earning a fortune?

If he wanted to play badly enough he would take a big pay cut to join another club.

5starpool wrote: »
    If he wanted to play badly enough he would take a big pay cut to join another club.

What if the club cant/wont meet the transfer fee?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

kryogen wrote: »
    What if the club cant/wont meet the transfer fee?

I'd imagine Villa will be happy to get 9m over 3 years off their books for a 3rd choice keeper without scuppering the deal by getting greedy and asking for a fee. If they are asking for a fee that is a different matter obviously. It depends on Given's own personal finances and preferences but he may well be forced to decide between 60k per week and no chance of playing or around 10k per week and championship games. He should be financially set for life without this bumper contract, but with footballers you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The OP could get a job for the sun with such a misleading headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As an aside, I absolutely love the look on Larsson's face in that article's lead image - what a hero of a man!

Shay-Given-plays-for-Asto-008.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus Christ, to make it worse I just read the actual article, where the **** does he talk about his personal hell?

In fairness, you mentioned mental health issue when theres no evidence of any.

AFAIK he cant buy himself out of his contract until there is a year left, and tbf, why should he?

Because he says he wants game time, surely.

He has 2 options. Sit on the bench or cut his wages in one manner or another and leave. It wont work both ways because clearly no ome isinterested in him at the ccurrent rate.

In fairness, you mentioned mental health issue when theres no evidence of any.

Well the thread title "Shay Given personal hell" and the OP were a bit misleading don't you think?

Well the thread title "Shay Given personal hell" and the OP were a bit misleading don't you think?
    It is a bit but the first thing I did wss resd the article to see what he was saying before replying

Because he says he wants game time, surely.

Does he want it enough to make a huge sacrifice on his wages?

Im sure he is willing to take a pay but, a loan doesn't offer that chance, and a transfer has not been mentioned. Could a championship club offer him anything close to his wage right now in any case?

He wants to play sure, but its a job and he has a very good contract, sometimes the head has to rule the heart

• Advertisement

It is a bit but the first thing I did wss resd the article to see what he was saying before replying

A bit? Bull**** it was very misleading and the OP was sneering, you didn't need to read the article to see what the OP was saying.

And after you did that you though the OP and thread title was still reasonable?

Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Titie thread was just a bit of snark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

reality is Shay knows his best days are behind him and he's now thinking to himself he's gonna have a long life ahead of him after football with no income...

so best start saving now while he can and enjoy it, even if it means hanging around for another year or two without any game time. before long he'll be lining out in the 2nd or 3rd tier or find himself playing legends matches and appearing as a substitute pundit on RTE's Euro 2016 coverage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

dd972 wrote: »
    Titie thread was just a bit of snark

But your original post makes it out that Shay was having a proper whinge, i dont get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Given would see an awful amount of flexibility if he was willing to take a wage cut.

He's not willing to take a wage cut for his career, so why would anyone have sympathy for his career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd imagine Villa will be happy to get 9m over 3 years off their books for a 3rd choice keeper without scuppering the deal by getting greedy and asking for a fee. If they are asking for a fee that is a different matter obviously. It depends on Given's own personal finances and preferences but he may well be forced to decide between 60k per week and no chance of playing or around 10k per week and championship games. He should be financially set for life without this bumper contract, but with footballers you never know.

The article suggests Villa are the ones putting obstacles in the way though, they wont put up with subsidising his wage heavily if he's away on loan.

If he has 3 years left I'm not sure how buying out the contract works.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I'd rather the money than playing for Doncaster every week. **** the haterz.

Didn't he split it up with his wife? Prob needs a few million for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

K-9 wrote: »
    The article suggests Villa are the ones putting obstacles in the way though, they wont put up with subsidising his wage heavily if he's away on loan.

If he has 3 years left I'm not sure how buying out the contract works.

There were rumoured to be a couple of deals on the table for him during the window. This is the same thing that happened to him at Man C and in the end they subsidised part of his wages iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Doodee wrote: »
    There were rumoured to be a couple of deals on the table for him during the window. This is the same thing that happened to him at Man C and in the end they subsidised part of his wages iirc.

Liverpool definitely seemed to be interested, and the club had plenty of experience of loans over the last few deals. Makes more sense to me to take a hit, at least some of the wages are paid, just put in an injury recall clause if the worst comes to the worst.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Does he want it enough to make a huge sacrifice on his wages?

And thats his choice. You asked why should he.i just gave an answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement