Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copy of a Receipt via Debit Card?

Options
  • 11-09-2013 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Long story short, myself and old flatmate bought TV between us, he payed via visa debit card.

I've since move home and brought TV with me and its developing a fault. It's less than a year old. He most likely hasn't the receipt kept.

So I'm gonna have trouble returning it to Harvey Normans for repair without one.

I'm just wondering seeing as he paid via debit card is it possible for him to go in, they check the purchase and card details and print him another receipt which can then be used for the return?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭brian_t

Herrick wrote: »
    So I'm gonna have trouble returning it to Harvey Normans for repair without one ?

Surely the person who bought the TV would have to be the one to return it for repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

That's not an issue he would do so of asked.

I just want to know about the possibility of getting a receipt via the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That's not an issue he would do so of asked.

I just want to know about the possibility of getting a receipt via the above.

You don't need a receipt you need proof of payment. A bank statement will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

athtrasna wrote: »
    You don't need a receipt you need proof of payment. A bank statement will suffice.

A bank statement in someone else's name means Harvery Norman can tell the OP to go away.

OP your flatmate needs to bring it to Harvey Norman. As firstly since you aren't the purchaser they have no contract with you and more importantly if they do refund the money it'll be back to the card that bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Del2005 wrote: »
    A bank statement in someone else's name means Harvery Norman can tell the OP to go away.

OP your flatmate needs to bring it to Harvey Norman. As firstly since you aren't the purchaser they have no contract with you and more importantly if they do refund the money it'll be back to the card that bought it.

That said they're unlikely to ID the OP.

OP grab your mates bank statement (with permission of course) and go in. Ideals though prep the mate for perhaps having to go in.

If it is over the year, that doesn't mean they are off the hook. Consumer electronics should last around five years or more, but five years seems to be the magic number for a claim.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the help :) Was talking to my friend, he said he'll look for the receipt but if he has lost it he'll get a bank statement.

He's gonna go in with it anyways as its in his name so that's good.

In regards to warranty, is there not 2 years guaranteed by the EU I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks everyone for the help :) Was talking to my friend, he said he'll look for the receipt but if he has lost it he'll get a bank statement.

He's gonna go in with it anyways as its in his name so that's good.

You're thinking of a EU Directive which requires member countries to implement legislation which provides consumer protection for a minimum of 2 years. That's not quite the same as a guarantee. Ireland's laws allow you make a claim within 6 years under the Statute of Limitations, and is considered to give better protection.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You're thinking of a EU Directive which requires member countries to implement legislation which provides consumer protection for a minimum of 2 years. That's not quite the same as a guarantee. Ireland's laws allow you make a claim within 6 years under the Statute of Limitations, and is considered to give better protection.

You can make a claim within 6 years? :eek: So bar damage caused by the owner themselves, you could make a claim if a TV's screen went for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

You can make a claim within 6 years? :eek: So bar damage caused by the owner themselves, you could make a claim if a TV's screen went for example?

The retailer has to deal with you for up to six years after the purchase, the product may have a reasonable life of say four years so in year five and six although they have to deal with you they do not have to refund/repair or replace as the product has lasted its reasonable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If it's reasonable to expect a TV to last, say 6 years, but it failed after 4, then yes you could make such a claim and expect some reasonable level of redress.

As 01902 says above, it basically depends on the reasonably expected life of the item, so yes you could take a claim within 6 years subject to the expected lifespan. On the other hand, if the item would normally have a short life, e.g 12 months, then a claim is unlikely succeed if the item actually outlived that duration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That portion of EU legislation was not enacted in Ireland (if I recall correctly) as our consumer legislation is deemed to offer stronger protection.

Advertisement