Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

America's Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That current line is mad!

Any idea what race someone went over in? I'm going to have a look at the near-capsize later (race 8, I think), I'd have a look for that if I knew which one it was.

Unless Oracle sinks, this race is a gonner. That poor driver's nerves will be shot in the next start :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Great start for USA, would be worried with such a good start to today that the 2nd race will be a disaster for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Any idea what race someone went over in? I'm going to have a look at the near-capsize later (race 8, I think), I'd have a look for that if I knew which one it was.

Unless Oracle sinks, this race is a gonner. That poor driver's nerves will be shot in the next start :eek:

Looks like it was the race one start.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Race 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFjxEfg_mEw about 37 seconds in they go over the side, and are picked up by the rescue boat.

Different rules

Americas Cup Rule 41 a) Once a person has been removed from the yacht, that person shall not be returned or replaced.( this should cover the accidental falling into the water.
    or AC Rule 47.2 - A yacht shall not permit any person on board to intentionally leave unless ill or injured, except as a result of a capsize, a person leaving shall not be accepted back on board nor replaced during the race.
    Basically if you end up in the water that's it you are not allowed back on.

Stheno wrote: »
    Race 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFjxEfg_mEw about 37 seconds in they go over the side, and are picked up by the rescue boat.

Different rules

Americas Cup Rule 41 a) Once a person has been removed from the yacht, that person shall not be returned or replaced.( this should cover the accidental falling into the water.
    or AC Rule 47.2 - A yacht shall not permit any person on board to intentionally leave unless ill or injured, except as a result of a capsize, a person leaving shall not be accepted back on board nor replaced during the race.
    Basically if you end up in the water that's it you are not allowed back on.

That's interesting! The polar opposite to the normal pesky rule that you must finish with the same number of crew you started with. Mind you, it's a big incentive not to fall over!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dean Barker looks like he wants to kill someone in his interview

The commentary when the two go over is funnyish

"Man overboard, man overboard"
    "keep going guys!"

Dean Barker looks like he wants to kill someone in his interview

The commentary when the two go over is funnyish

"keep going guys!"

:D:D:D

I always feel sorry for sportsmen (generic term) subjected to those instant in-your-face interviews - they do it at Wimbledon as well, the loser has hardly left the court when they've a mike stuck in their face and asked to spill their feelings about it all. I know what I'd say if it were me!!! At least the loser at Wimbledon can go home afterwards and lick their wounds, poor Barker has to get back on the helm and get beaten all over again :eek:

On another note entirely, did I hear something along the way that NZ promised to do it next time on monohulls if they win? Watching those shots from 199whenever, I had a big pang of nostalgia for two sails and a spinny... I'd really love to see it back on "normal" boats. (Highly unlikely, I realise!)

On another note entirely, did I hear something along the way that NZ promised to do it next time on monohulls if they win? Watching those shots from 199whenever, I had a big pang of nostalgia for two sails and a spinny... I'd really love to see it back on "normal" boats. (Highly unlikely, I realise!)

There has been speculation but I don't think they have made any definite statement.

What a nifty five-minute countdown flag system they have!

• Advertisement

Has anyone who has paid attention noticed if Grant Dalton is still onboard ?

He isn't on board for this one.

Woohoo!!!!

Was on for the first, but not for the second.

Oooh crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why the hell did NZ give away that starboard????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Excellent

Oh FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Kiwis trying to well to throw this whole event

Throwing away a starboard to go for a bizarre lee bow attempt on the boundary? I dunno whos calling tactics on NZ but they need a smack

Stephen Lee hasn't been in touch with the NZ team at all this week, has he?

• Advertisement

Jeepers, that's unreal :( A minute behind now :(

omg, they've opened up about a minute's lead coming into the last run :eek:

Those offboard shots of the boats as they round the mark are brilliant - pontoon way up out of the water, and the crew look like little ants lined up along it :D

Over a km behind :eek::eek::eek:

Id say new zealand joe duffy will be having a discussion of roy keane proportions tomorrow over this 2nd race

Wonder is that larrys big stink pot with the chopper

The kiwis must be really rueing that race that hit the time limit when they were under 1 mile from the finish.

dloob wrote: »
    The kiwis must be really rueing that race that hit the time limit when they were under 1 mile from the finish.

That is the absolute killer of the whole thing!

I didn't see it - there was a luffing match after the start - who was luffing who? If it was NZ doing the luffing, I'd be off committing quite hara kiri somewhere!

That is the absolute killer of the whole thing!

I didn't see it - there was a luffing match after the start - who was luffing who? If it was NZ doing the luffing, I'd be off committing quite hara kiri somewhere!

Oracle luffed them at the start of that race, took a long time too.

If you take away the penalties it's now 10-8 to Oracle.

• Advertisement

Not sure I can bear to watch the interview with the NZ skipper......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

NZ really are doing their absolute best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

After the last few days you would fancy oracle for the win.

Im certain NZ had an overlap at the start of that 2nd race but the jury seems to be blind to anything not in oracles favour.

Larry really has thought of everything from the ridiculous wind limit, to the 40 minute time limit so as to help his grubby hands keep hold of the cup

Oh how I wish I could lipread!

They seem to have let Dean Barker off his daily torture session today

More likely he's thrown the camera and mic overboard

True.

You could hear Oracle at the start shouting that NZ had an overlap, the commentators even mentioned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

That's interesting! The polar opposite to the normal pesky rule that you must finish with the same number of crew you started with. Mind you, it's a big incentive not to fall over!

There once was a famous/infamous incident in a certain offshore race on our South Coast when the OOD erred and said a mark was to be left to port (should have been starboard else the race would have been over in hours) and all the skippers agreed by RT to leave it to starboard, except for one, who was happy to finish first despite vocal grumblings from his crew. Just before the finish line one of his crew jumped overboard and as the boat finished one down it was disqualified. That I know to be true, but - unverified - I also heard that the skipper was so annoyed he refused to return to pick the guy up and he had to rescued by a fishing boat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

And quote of the thread has to go to...
    It won't be over with this race, or I'll eat my mainsail.

Regarding overboards...
    "keep going guys!"

There was an incident in nearby waters where the overboard waved their own boat on (screaming at them to keep racing) as they were doing well, causing another racing boat to go collect the MOB :rolleyes:

I just watched the man (men!) overboard clip - the absolute calm with which it was casually mentioned by the other is amazing! And then the "keep going, guys, keep going" in a deadpan voice. It truly is a different world on those boats!

But that still wasn't an overshooting-the-runway overboard - I can't imagine that SOMEONE hasn't gone sliding down the trampoline and just kept going :pac:

And as for the near-capsize..... phew!

I think I'm just going to have to suck up whatever O2 decide to bill me for streaming tomorrow night - having come late to the party, I can't possibly miss the ultimate in Lazarus-like comeback climaxes!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think I'm just going to have to suck up whatever O2 decide to bill me for streaming tomorrow night - having come late to the party, I can't possibly miss the ultimate in Lazarus-like comeback climaxes!!!

Call them. You might be able to buy a data bundle

I saw that last night... The poor fella!

Also saw this this morning, gave me a laugh - no pressure this evening then......

http://sandysviews.com/2013/09/24/an-open-letter-to-emirates-team-new-zealand-from-team-new-zealand/

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Hi all,

This may have been asked/answered before (sorry!) - does anybody know how/where I can watch the action tonight? Or a site with good updates?

Thanks!

(A Kiwi exile with a sudden interest in the race....)

• Advertisement

Kerryite wrote: »
    Hi all,

This may have been asked/answered before (sorry!) - does anybody know how/where I can watch the action tonight? Or a site with good updates?

Thanks!

(A Kiwi exile with a sudden interest in the race....)

There'll be a live feed at 9pm here http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup?feature=csp-in-feed

All previous races are there to watch in the meantime to keep you occupied and get you in the mood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Fantastic - thanks! I lived in ChCh for 6 years and had a great catchup this morning with a friend there about the races; it was great to get some of the local fever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Its been an absolute thriller so far. I hope ETNZ win it tonight, but honestly, I think I've been converted by these boats. I dunno if I'd change them...

errlloyd wrote: »
    Its been an absolute thriller so far. I hope ETNZ win it tonight, but honestly, I think I've been converted by these boats. I dunno if I'd change them...

I'd love to see ENTZ win, lot of speculation that they will not be challenging for the next cup due to lack of finance if they do not.

Useless factoid, apparently this is now the longest Americas Cup ever

Aw crap, is coverage breaking down for everyone, or is it just that my mobile wifi can't cope???

• Advertisement
Advertisement