Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

America's Cup

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Those J class yachts are magnificent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ohhhhhhhh my word.......

The flippin' length of them!!!

But no rails :eek::eek::eek: (which I only noticed when I had to pause and go back to see if I really HAD seen the entire crew of one boat lined up flat out on their stomachs to windward!)

Talk about champagne sailing/racing......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

this is another good one on the modern J Ranger. The luxury on it is unreal (and its got rails)

Had to pause it and post..... 16 METER SPINNY POLES :eek:

Our pride and joy - including the outboard! - is only about 7m.......

ETA - holy God, I'm speechless. That galley is bigger than my kitchen!!!

And I wonder if those bunks have lee-cloths? Eh???

All very well having a full-width aft stateroom (and very nice it looks too), but I had (MUCH smaller!) one of those on a recent trip in the North Sea in a F9/10, and I can tell you, one thing it ain't is practical.... getting fired 10 feet across a bunk every time we tacked got very tiresome very quickly!!!

But... back O/T - how I would LOVE to see the Americas Cup raced in those boats - or something along those lines. You know, things with actual sails... and spinnakers.... oh well, I suppose I can dream....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Had to pause it and post..... 16 METER SPINNY POLES :eek:

Our pride and joy - including the outboard! - is only about 7m.......

ETA - holy God, I'm speechless. That galley is bigger than my kitchen!!!

And I wonder if those bunks have lee-cloths? Eh???

All very well having a full-width aft stateroom (and very nice it looks too), but I had (MUCH smaller!) one of those on a recent trip in the North Sea in a F9/10, and I can tell you, one thing it ain't is practical.... getting fired 10 feet across a bunk every time we tacked got very tiresome very quickly!!!

But... back O/T - how I would LOVE to see the Americas Cup raced in those boats - or something along those lines. You know, things with actual sails... and spinnakers.... oh well, I suppose I can dream....

16 metre spinny pole!

What size crew is on those boats? 25?/30?

No chance of Oracle switching to those boats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Stheno wrote: »
    16 metre spinny pole!

What size crew is on those boats? 25?/30?

No chance of Oracle switching to those boats

Lipton's Shamrock IV had a crew of 40 when racing. It included one woman, the skipper Burton's wife as timekeeper, which was a major blow to the superstitious sailors and was a near cause of mutiny on board according to the press of the time.
    The J Class also had the equivalent of today's grinders, as they had a series of geared windlasses below decks for raising sails, masts, booms, etc. Shamrock V was fitted with a centreboard that extended below the keel and which weighed a few tons- it also was raised/lowered by winch.

The 1903 US contender Reliance had about a dozen winches below deck.
    The Denny's Shipyard outside Glasgow had a huge tank (used for for flow simulation) was used for Shamrock III - it is still used today by engineering faculties at Glasgow & Strathclyde universities.

The AC was cutting edge too back then, with the world's richest men throwing their fortunes at the Mug.

Can't believe this thread is 4 years old :eek:

All that talk on the last page of J boats..... I got to see two of them (Ranger and Shamrock) in action in St. Tropez a couple of years ago (not close up or on board, sadly, but a couple of them did glide close past us at impressive speed upwind - wowzers!!!)

Saw a bit of yesterday's AC racing (when we wussed out of Dublin Bay racing cos it was too wet :D) - it's gone even more farcical this time with bloody cyclists on board - they look like high-speed pit ponies on a magic carpet or something. It's now a complete joke - completely unrelated to sailing IMHO.

However, there is always the potential for carnage (the only entertainment left in it as far as I'm concerned) so does anyone know if this is viewable for free online anywhere? I don't have BT sports or whatever it's called at home.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Can't believe this thread is 4 years old :eek:

.....However, there is always the potential for carnage (the only entertainment left in it as far as I'm concerned) so does anyone know if this is viewable for free online anywhere? I don't have BT sports or whatever it's called at home.
    #
    The moneygrubbers have it so its only on pay TV but the highlights are on
    BBC Highlights:
    Sunday 11 June:
    BBC2 12:00 - 13:00
    Red Button 19:00 - 20:00
    Monday 12 June:
    BBC2 14:00 - 15:00
    Tuesday 13 June:
    BBC2 13:45 - 14:45
    Red Button 20:00 - 21:00
    Friday 16 June:
    BBC2 13:00 - 14:00
    Red Button 20:00 - 21:00
    Saturday 17 June:
    BBC2 14:15 - 15:15
    Sunday 18 June:
    BBC2 12:00 - 13:00
    Monday 19 June:
    Red Button 18:00 - 19:00
    BBC2 23:15 - 24:15
    Sunday 25 June:
    Monday 26 June:

The Americas cup & Volvo race, 2 races that are way way off what they originally started out as. I used to like the AC when it was in 12 meters & iacc 70s but couldn't give a toss about this cup

• Advertisement

/\ agreed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Serious Pitchpole by the Kiwis in race 2 this evening, noone hurt, but a big repair job to be undertaken overnight to get the boat able to race tomorrow!

https://gyazo.com/a3790ef3c176e03ca100edf46b5f6ecb

79f2144856d3d4deb054da01dce7a67eaa8006b4255f8414b30f817285413c63.jpg

08c0f86559235c37a9fd78f949e138f48d08ecaeae1b1fbd252c654c4f992e1a.jpg

Serves em right... never would have happened back in the days of lipton & Van Der Bild in the Js and with big Dennis in the back of 12 they needed them flying bows :D

6-1 to the Kiwis, looks like Oracle have closed the performance gap a fair bit, but at a cost of more instability esp when tacking and gybing. Spithill made a complete mess of both starts yesterday giving his team almost no chance from the get go as a 2-0 sweep brought ETNZ to match point in the contest. Low winds forecast for tonight which tend to favour the kiwis, hard to see how tonight's 2 races don't bring this contest to a close.

ETNZ are the only team not to sign up for continuing this format if they win, so we could see a return to single hulls off the coast of Auckland in a few years time when the lawsuits have been heard and a format agreed for the 36th Americas Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Inquitus wrote: »
    6-1 to the Kiwis, looks like Oracle have closed the performance gap a fair, bit but at a cost of more instability esp when tacking and gybing. Spithill made a complete mess of both starts yesterday giving his team almost no chance from the get go as a 2-0 sweep brought ETNZ to match point in the contest. Low winds forecast for tonight which tend to favour the kiwis, hard to see how tonight's 2 races don't bring this contest to a close.

Is the wind too light do you reckon there will definitely be racing tonight? Going to go to the Woolshed after work to see the end of it, but it's a bit of a trek.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Is the wind too light do you reckon there will definitely be racing tonight? Going to go to the Woolshed after work to see the end of it, but it's a bit of a trek.

The minimum is 6kts for racing I think, the forecast to date has always been slightly lighter than the reality, but it seems there is a fair chance the racing may be delayed and/or postponed this evening.

https://www.windguru.cz/acbermuda.php

• Advertisement

ETNZ hose Oracle in lighter winds today to win the Americas Cup 7-1 with 8 wins to Oracle's 1. Oracle led round the first mark, but simply did not have the speed in the light winds to challenge, and were overhauled on the first downwind leg unable to get back into contention from that point onwards.

Hopefully that'll mean the next cup might be raced in something close to normal boats

neris wrote: »
    Hopefully that'll mean the next cup might be raced in something close to normal boats

Luna Rossa are the Challengers of record, rules, timings etc. to be announced in due course, but it will have a challenger series to decide who takes on ETNZ.

Interesting debate going on in the sailing anarchy forum on the next Americas cup and boats that should be used. The last few cups have been a farce and so far removed from everyday yacht racing and became a game of buying in the best foreign talent and technology. Personally I think they need to get back to proper sails, a box rule and the old rules of nationality. Make it mono, multi or trip hulls but proper sails that have to be trimmed, flown, reeled & peeled

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/185414-poll-next-ac-boat/&_ga=2.155103992.1998902420.1498679188-816605565.1471802872

at least those figaros are some what close to what most of us would sail. proper mono hull proper sails that need to be trimmed etc. the technology used in those multis wont have a big effect on the standard irc cruiser racer where developments in a technologically advanced mono might have some drip down effect over time

• Advertisement

Not listened in full but Dennis Conners is doing podcasts, link below about the AC just gone and how it was all about money

https://soundcloud.com/user-46485143/episode-16-more-rumors

Advertisement