Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backing Up Before the iOS7 Upgrade

• 11-09-2013 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Ok so to save all my pics, messages, contacts, etc before I put iOS7 on my 4s next week I assume I just sync my phone to iTunes as normal.

Then once iOS7 is installed, do I simply sync the phone again and it will put all my old stuff into the phone that will then be running iOS7?

Sorry just not sure how this works when upgrading the OS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, or backup through iCloud and restore from that when setting up after installing iOS 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Thanks!

In regards to apps, is there a way to have them backed up and transfer them back to the phone as opposed to having to go into the App Store and download them all again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Herrick wrote: »
    Thanks!

In regards to apps, is there a way to have them backed up and transfer them back to the phone as opposed to having to go into the App Store and download them all again?

When you restore via iCloud or iTunes it restores your apps too and their related data i.e. game saves etc. It backs up everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Brian017 wrote: »
    When you restore via iCloud or iTunes it restores your apps too and their related data i.e. game saves etc. It backs up everything!

iCloud will still have to download them all again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The interesting thing to find out is if you restore your iPhone/iPad to factory and start again, install IOS7, will you be able to download the iWork and iLife apps for free?

• Advertisement

tallpaul wrote: »
    The interesting thing to find out is if you restore your iPhone/iPad to factory and start again, install IOS7, will you be able to download the iWork and iLife apps for free?
    I doubt it, I'd imagine it has something to do with the activation date of the phone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

tallpaul wrote: »

No. I assume it will work the same way as iLife on a Mac. Only new devices will be able to download them. And they'll be tied to your Apple ID.

Guys quick question I just connected my phone to iTunes there and it's asking me to setup as a new phone or as a backup?

I don't want the backup as I reset long ago.

What happens if I set-up as a new phone, will it wipe whats on my 4s at the moment?

I just want to sync my stuff to backup pics and that before iOS7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I prefer "Manually Backup" function rather than sync, in this situation.

A good article here. Sync is not the best choice in this situation imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is iOS 7 available now?

• Advertisement

Herrick wrote: »
    Guys quick question I just connected my phone to iTunes there and it's asking me to setup as a new phone or as a backup?

I don't want the backup as I reset long ago.

What happens if I set-up as a new phone, will it wipe whats on my 4s at the moment?

I just want to sync my stuff to backup pics and that before iOS7.
    Sounds like you never connected that phone to iTunes. Have you got iCloud enabled and backup turned on?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is iOS 7 available now?

No not till about 6

guil wrote: »
    Sounds like you never connected that phone to iTunes. Have you got iCloud enabled and backup turned on?

Yes guil I reset a while back and never connected the device after so I assume thats what was wrong.

I have iCloud back up on and everything bar my photos is on it as my connection is so slow it was taking hours upon hours to upload photos.

I clicked setup as new phone there now and it seems to have everything backed to iTunes on my PC now, except I can't seem to view my pics in the library?

Unfortunately if you set up as new phone I don't think it backs up anything. You could of just copied all the photos with windows explorer and put them back on after the iCloud backup.

Unfortunately if you set up as new phone I don't think it backs up anything. You could of just copied all the photos with windows explorer and put them back on after the iCloud backup.

Awesome thanks guil, just copying them over via Explorer now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Do you have to back up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Do you have to back up?

Ideally, yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

kensutz wrote: »
    Ideally, yes

No you don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    No you don't

You don't have to. But it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a backup done just in case. So I didn't specifically say yes or no, it's user choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,801 ✭✭✭lertsnim

To avoid any potential screw ups a 30 second back up isn't too much of a chore

• Advertisement

No not till about 6

6 what? 6pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes 18:00pm :pac:

yes 18:00pm :pac:

Sorry lads aloooooong day in work... Any one got it yet?

Is it better too up grade via iTunes or wirelessly on 4s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've got it, it's very nice it doesn't really matter which way you update but best do an iCloud backup first and you'll be eating gravy.

i've got it, it's very nice it doesn't really matter which way you update but best do an iCloud backup first and you'll be eating gravy.
    Have it now. It's claiming 4 hours too install.. Have done a back up. How long did it take you?

4 hours :((

Piliger wrote: »
    4 hours :((

Mines jumped too 15 hours now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

40 minutes for me(at the moment at least)

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Mines jumped too 15 hours now

Mine at 6hrs.... through iTunes.

Can I unplug my iPhone while it is downloading ? anyone ?

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    Mine at 6hrs.... through iTunes.

Can I unplug my iPhone while it is downloading ? anyone ?

Yeah you can. If you look in downloads in the side bar it's there.

Advertisement