Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas in New York

Options
  • 11-09-2013 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be able to recommend what would be the cheapest time to go to New York over the Christmas season?

And would anyone also be able to recommend a reasonable hotel in the city centre? Would prefer to be as close to the shopping/touristy areas as possible without paying a fortune!

I heard great things about Fitzpatrick Grand Central but it seems to be extortionately priced!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to recommend what would be the cheapest time to go to New York over the Christmas season?

And would anyone also be able to recommend a reasonable hotel in the city centre? Would prefer to be as close to the shopping/touristy areas as possible without paying a fortune!

I heard great things about Fitzpatrick Grand Central but it seems to be extortionately priced!

Thanks in advance

Stayed in the best western president just off times square for very reasonable money in nov 11 . Booked with opodo.co.uk .

I think Fitzpatricks fairly expensive alright .

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Just two things.....Christmas time is probably the most expensive time to visit New York.

There is no "city centre" in New York - With the subway system no natter where you stay in Manhattan you are never too far away from points of interest.

Even staying in Jersey City and be a Breeze using the PATH train. May be an option if your flying into Newark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Everytime I see this thread title I think of this song...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sportfanatic

Myself and the girlfriend are flying Dublin to NY on Wednesday the 11th and returning the evening of the 15th, flights were 401euro each. We haven't booked the hotel yet, we went at a similar time last year and booked it with hotwire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Everytime I see this thread title I think of this song...

I couldn't help but stay on the thread to listen to the song :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 AKA1981

I am heading over mid November this year, any recommendations, finding accommodation very expensive for that time, can anyone recommend anywhere reasonably priced... had herd g lot of people raving about the fit hotels bt they are way over priced... looking to spend about €100 per nite??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

AKA1981 wrote: »
    I am heading over mid November this year, any recommendations, finding accommodation very expensive for that time, can anyone recommend anywhere reasonably priced... had herd g lot of people raving about the fit hotels bt they are way over priced... looking to spend about €100 per nite??

Ouch. Thanksgiving time. Or at least pre-thanksgiving as it falls on the 28th this year.

Remember that the last thursday in November is the Thanksgiving Holiday. Possibly the biggest US holiday because as it falls on a thursday, everyone also has friday off. Four days off is more time off than most americans get at christmas. SO you get an idea of the importance.

Thanksgiving isnt about presents its about family so its a time that people go home to parents, family etc. which means its by far and away the busiest travel time of the entire year. Traditionally a Nightmare time to be anywhere near an airport, train station, bus station, or even on the roads. Travel Prices will also be at their peak and for weeks before and after. Hotels will be full too.

Basically its not a time to be a tourist in the USA. Or at least if you are plan on staying put.

The Friday after thanksgiving is also the traditional start of the christmas shopping season and there's huge sales, so malls, shopping centers, outlet malls, etc will be insanely busy.

So. If you play on travelling in the USA in November be aware the second half of November is expensive and book in advance for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Every time I see this thread title I think of this song....

Appropriate for September...still thinking of you Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭cena

Thanksgiving in new york is an amazing time to spend with family even better if you have family living in new york

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Remember that the last thursday in November is the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Technical correction, it's the fourth Thursday in November which in certain years may not be the last Thursday in the month.

For example, Thanksgiving 2012 was celebrated on Nov 22nd which was the fourth of five Thursdays in November last year.

The day after Thanksgiving is called 'Black Friday' and marks the start of big sales in the stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I've been to New York over the Christmas period a few years ago, its great. Flew there the day after St Stephens day and flew on to Vegas on New years day. Its a great city to be over the Christmas and traveling when we did meant we missed most of the holiday travel madness, I think I remeber the flights not being too expensive (cant speak for prices now though) We stayed in Brooklyn, just by the foot of the Brooklyn bridge. Its as good as staying anywhere in Manhattan itself, but a bit cheaper. We went on a New year’s eve dinner dance cruise which was amazing, I highly recommend it. Think it was about 100 dollars each and for that you get the cruise, 5 course dinner, free bar and live band and DJ’s over 3 separate decks. You end up right by the statue of liberty for the fireworks at midnight. It can be brutaly cold though so wrap up well!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

murphym7 wrote: »
    It can be brutaly cold though so wrap up well!

+1 that's worth noting if you've never been there for Christmas or New Year. The second-last time I was there for Thanksgiving was 2007 and although it was bright and sunny, it was bitterly cold and that was a month before Christmas.

Advertisement