Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC price change from october

• 11-09-2013 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have been told today that UPC is going to change price of 50MB BB up 2 euro per month from 1st of october. I could not find this info anywhere online. is it true ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You are entitled to 30 days notice of any change in your Terms and Conditions so if you haven't heard anything from them they can't increase it on 1st October.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

We just got a letter in the post informing us of "October" price hike. No exact date for the increase given. The letter had a date of 25th August ("Information Correct On"), tho was only received today. Pretty cheeky of them.

We just got a letter in the post informing us of "October" price hike. No exact date for the increase given. The letter had a date of 25th August ("Information Correct On"), tho was only received today. Pretty cheeky of them.

Is the letter actually dated and signed? as distinct from information being correct as of 25th August?

Can you tell us exactly what the letter says?

It is extremely doubtful with mail volumes constantly falling that An Post could take up to 17 days to deliver such a letter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

dub45 wrote: »
    Is the letter actually dated and signed? as distinct from information being correct as of 25th August?

Can you tell us exactly what the letter says?

It is extremely doubtful with mail volumes constantly falling that An Post could take up to 17 days to deliver such a letter.

I got the same letter today dated 25th August

Well whatever about one letter being delayed...............................

The unfortunate thing about most business letters not being postmarked is that companies can (and do!) put whatever dates they wish on letters with no relation to the actual date of posting.

I doubt that An Post would be too impressed with a customer dating letters two weeks before they were actually posted (that's of course if any customer would do such a dastardly thing!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

dub45 wrote: »
    I doubt that An Post would be too impressed with a customer dating letters two weeks before they were actually posted (that's of course if any customer would do such a dastardly thing!)

Once they pay their bills on time I'd say An Post don't really care.

That's pretty dishonest. Was the letter dated "25/August" at the top of it?

If it was that's pretty dishonest, but I don't think they'd do that to be honest

Well An Post would surely be concerned if the public were to think that letters supposedly posted on 25th August were only being delivered around 10th September.

The real date matters in relation to the 30 days notice period required under the Terms and Conditions of of the customers contract.

Incidentally isn't this the second price increase this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mirec

I have called upc today and they told me that price increase will be only for selected bundles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Which bundles?

I've just installed the web and telephone parts of the "essential bundles" and the girl on the phone told me nothing about any price increase. In fact she specifially said that the cost would 66 euro (+tax) a month. I could even avail of the 50 quid for 6 months and free installation (even thouh I installed it myself!!!).

Even though it's "only" 2 euro, I should have been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Got the letter today. The letters weren't necessarily posted on the 25th. There's a line which states "The above information is correct as of 25th August 2013". No postmark on the envelope.

I guess they probably staggered the release of the letters.

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    Got the letter today. The letters weren't necessarily posted on the 25th. There's a line which states "The above information is correct as of 25th August 2013". No postmark on the envelope.

I guess they probably staggered the release of the letters.

If UPC want to increase prices with effect from 1st October then customers should have been informed by 1st September even under UPC's own Terms and Conditions there are also regulations in respect of this requirment.

16. Changing the Terms and Conditions
    We retain the right to amend, modify or substitute these Terms and Conditions at any
    time and we will notify you in writing 30 days in advance of doing so. Any such modification,
    amendment or substitution shall also be posted on our website at www.upc.ie. You have the
    right to withdraw from this Agreement without penalty if you do not accept the modification, amendment or substitution. If you do not object to the modification, amendment or
    substitution by giving notice to us within 30 days, the new
    Terms and Conditions shall then become applicable to you.

My emphasis.

And from the Comreg website:

t present, the Universal Services Regulations requires that service providers must individually notify their subscribers, not less than one month in advance, of proposed changes to their contract and to also notify subscribers of their right to withdraw without penalty from the contract if they do not accept the proposed change. ComReg is of the view that these notifications must be presented to subscribers clearly and transparently. - See more at: http://www.askcomreg.ie/news/notifications_when_your_contract_changes.7.1075.LE.asp#sthash.beCezDRG.dpuf

Also Comreg recently published requirements in relation to such notices:

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg12129.pdf

And this may be of interest in case you missed it before:

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1106.pdf

Advertisement