Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming over here taking our jobs

Options
  • 11-09-2013 4:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Look out for today tonight this evening on backpackers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Sound like a standard conversation between two Irishmen talking about Eastern Europeans.....

Oh yeh, they send all their money out of the country, don't integrate, are rude, don't smile but their "wimen ar hot"

Hear it all before :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The Aussie wrote: »

Sound like a standard conversation between two Irishmen talking about Eastern Europeans.....

Oh yeh, they send all their money out of the country, don't integrate, are rude, don't smile but their "wimen ar hot"

Hear it all before :o

I was thinking the exact same thing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

catbear wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact same thing! :)

Did anyone watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Zambia wrote: »
    Did anyone watch it?

Caught bits of it.

All you could expect from the high quality programme really.

Lots of stats about how there are a quarter of a million backpackers here, 1 for every school leaver. Taking jobs etc.

Then they had a tiny blurb at the end about how backpackers are being taken advantage of and interviewed some Irish guy.

Nothing Pulitzer-worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Don't forget your women we're also taking your women :pac:

ifeelill wrote: »

That my friend, is our gift to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Gift... :D

That comment is so Tony Abbott, that's right I've turned your leader into an adjective what ya going to do about it :pac:

julie-bishop-050412.jpg
    They can keep them!

• Advertisement

That comment is so Tony Abbott, that's right I've turned your leader into an adjective what ya going to do about it :pac:

Meh, another Backpacker (£10 Pom) who took an Australians Job.....:pac:
    And some Welsh Ginger took his job before that.

So the Programme has been proved correct.
    Who would have thought that. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Meh, another Backpacker (£10 Pom) who took an Australians Job.....:pac:
    And some Welsh Ginger took his job before that.

So the Programme has been proved correct.
    Who would have thought that. :eek:

Interesting to see that the brits make up the most backpackers. 19,000 irish whv people every year is a very large number in proportion to our population qnd considering that many people have already used their whv.

catbear wrote: »
    julie-bishop-050412.jpg
    They can keep them!

Forget pictures Julie Bishop I got video of Pauline Hansen hahahahahah
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB1-p0BzWa0

danotroy wrote: »
    Interesting to see that the brits make up the most backpackers. 19,000 irish whv people every year is a very large number in proportion to our population qnd considering that many people have already used their whv.

I think we come in 2nd when i comes to 457 visa behind the UK, which is no mean feat. According to the RTE news there are 75,000 Irish people in Australia (total), 55,000 of which are in some form of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Maybe somebody better tell them they are actually giving out the Visas. Its like the Irish giving out about Foreign workers here, we cant be bothered doing the work they want to do but we constantly give out about them and if they left, the economy would probably collapse even more.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

skippy2 wrote: »
    Maybe somebody better tell them they are actually giving out the Visas. Its like the Irish giving out about Foreign workers here, we cant be bothered doing the work they want to do but we constantly give out about them and if they left, the economy would probably collapse even more.....................

i disagree , at this point i would do any job , fact is i cant because their are foreigners who are taking up employment, now it aint their fault, they want a job like anyone else, but these companys who are actually only hiring foreign people.

i dont mind foreigners getting jobs though, but i went into dublin city center, as i live quite close to it and every single shop i went into had nothing but foreigners working their, and they talk about equal opportunities, i've been busting my arse trying to get a job since been unemployed. So don't be saying "we" as implying all irish dont want jobs, because infact alot of irish unemployed would jump at the chance, the ones who wouldnt, are wasters.

i went into spar yesterday, my local spar. only foreigners working their, but of course the management are irish, and me trying to tell the young girl i want a packet of john player blue was unreal, you'd swear i was talking chinese to the young one.
    i mean ya sure employ all the foreigners you want but at least make sure they can speak english first....

Last time i checked my passport was EU, these foreigners aren't foreign within the EU if they've got EU passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It's an employers market, the number of 417 holders many who arrived on the minimum funds using it as some sort of pseudo work visa instead of what it actually is... a holiday visa. Unscrupulous employers taking advantage of people offering to work an unpaid 'trial' just to try and get a job. Being on a WHV is a hindrance at the best of times, their only advantage is offering to work for buttons.

It all sounds very 457ish from earlier this year and that where the whole hype and 457 reforms stemed from, people willing to work for a lot less money to get the holy grail. Plenty of sabre rattling then did do damage to the 457 scheme with many employers shying away from them now. Maybe this is the start of a bit of sabre rattling over 417 which could be viewed as a training camp for 457 rorts, not sure what they could do about it. Prehaps a return to the 3 months max with an employer it's hard to say, but pre 2006 it seem to work well so don't know why they changed it.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    i mean ya sure employ all the foreigners you want but at least make sure they can speak english first....
    Do you have a strong accent? I've surprised many aussies and other nationalities when they discover i'm irish, "but i can understand what you're saying" is a common response.

I admit i struggle with some irish accents.

i went into spar yesterday, my local spar. only foreigners working their, but of course the management are irish, and me trying to tell the young girl i want a packet of john player blue was unreal, you'd swear i was talking chinese to the young one.

you cant be doing too bad for your self if you can afford the luxury of smokes. Have you applied for a job at spar?

This is getting good :D

tumblr_lw7qn58NxG1qii6tmo1_500.gif

• Advertisement

not really a dig at 2mad2bemad more of a reference to this irish times article.

If people want a job there are jobs available even in Ireland. There are always minimum wage jobs to be filled.

i dont mind foreigners getting jobs though, but....

:pac:

Does that include me, I'm a foreigner working in Ireland?

* this is going to end well

:pac:

Does that include me, I'm a foreigner working in Ireland?

* this is going to end well

So you're telling us you didn't like the Facebook page ?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Like-if-your-a-proud-Aussie-If-you-dont-like-then-****-of-WERE-FULL/224766147535021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Wow, that's some pretty impressive abuse of grammar, spelling and punctuation!!

"Like if your a proud Aussie, If you don't like(,)then **** of (,) WERE FULL"

No, I prefer my Red Necks using quaint dated sayings...

"Stormfront Ireland White Nationalist issues in Ireland"

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/f41/

Besides, Facebook pages are ao amateurish.
    Red Neck Forums allow for more abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Folks the point is well accepted that every nation has their red neck bogan knacker racist element.

Move on

I was once called a "tan" by a cetlic jersey wearing patriot simply because i said i enjoyed working with a polish crew.

Edit: sorry zambia, just saw your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Taking all the jobs my eye! Trying to find good Aussies in hospitality is nigh impossible. This is coming from the owners I work for as well (both aussie)

Taking all the jobs my eye! Trying to find good Aussies in hospitality is nigh impossible. This is coming from the owners I work for as well (both aussie)

Marky. I know you are enthusiastic about your job and fair play to you, you got sponsored in hospitality great stuff. However filling hospitality roles is not that hard. Impossible... no. If your owners are struggling to find staff then they should improve their conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Aussies and Permanent Residents are free to work in other jobs like mining, Police, Civil service etc, they don't need to be visa-tied to a job washing ashtrays and toilets to keep them in country.

I honestly wouldn't work in hospitality unless I was stuck and really had to, even then as soon as I found something more suitable I would be gone. It just doesnt appeal to me.

Was the same in Ireland when the Polish/Portuguese were gutting and plucking chickens Paddy opted to work in a comfy call centre. Some jobs people with choice are not intrested, for others there is very little choice.

As the old saying goes beggars can't be choosers.

Advertisement