Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just arrived

Options
  • 11-09-2013 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey guys

I arrived in Oz last week and am currently staying with some friends. Was thinking of doing my regional work straight away incase I want to stay for a second year.

Any advice on where I should go for this or has anyone any experience with working hostels? Do ye think it is better to find your own accommodation and job?

Any info or advice would be great :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Welcome! What state are you in? If you think you will want to stay past the first year then getting your regional work out of the way is a good idea. As the weather is improving and we're heading for summer it's the best time to start looking for this kind if work. It seems to be a lot harder in winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 woodey151

We are in Tas at the moment but are planning on moving. We came here first as had family here so we planned on visiting them first.

Not really sure where we plan to go next though, Oz is just so big. Be great to meet a few more Irish people though there aren't many down here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

woodey151 wrote: »
    We are in Tas at the moment but are planning on moving. We came here first as had family here so we planned on visiting them first.

Not really sure where we plan to go next though, Oz is just so big. Be great to meet a few more Irish people though there aren't many down here :)

If your looking for Irish people pop on the ferry to melbourne and head to st kilda there's Irish everywhere therw

Cool thanks :) Is there much farming work up there at the moment. Was thinking of going somewhere like Brisbane where it is a bit warmer now to do the farm work. Then come down to Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

It's definitely warming up in Brisbane, 33 yesterday and the weather stations near me are reading 35 for today, I don't know about your heat tolerance but it would suck to be out in that all day if you are not used to it. Buy a good hat and factor 50 if you are coming here.

A few friends of mine got their farm work from here: http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/map.aspx

Beset of luck :-)

• Advertisement

Yeah your right 8 or 9 hours a day working in that would be tough and I suppose it is only going to get hotter!

Hmmm not sure what to do now really. It is so cold here only 5 degrees today!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

woodey151 wrote: »
    Cool thanks :) Is there much farming work up there at the moment. Was thinking of going somewhere like Brisbane where it is a bit warmer now to do the farm work. Then come down to Melbourne.

When you say Brisbane, do you mean Queensland? Brisbane or any of the postcodes around it don't qualify as regional. Just something to be aware of.

Oh really I didn't realise that. I was just looking online and noticed alot of them said Brisbane and say they qualify for 2nd year visas. If anyone has done there's already and can recommend some good working hostels let me know :)

And thanks for all the help guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

There is work kicking off in October with a company called viterra for the grain silo harvest, 900 positions on the harvest trail website I'm not 100% sure if falls in with positions to qualify for the 2nd year visa, some of the jobs are weigh bridge operators etc.....which may or may not fall into "immediate processing of plant produce". I'm starting mine next week on an oyster farm down south all going well

Ah cool thanks a mil, just checking it out now. There seems to be loads of harvest work there. Now just to decide what area to go to :)

Best of luck with the new job :)
    minzabud wrote: »
    There is work kicking off in October with a company called viterra for the grain silo harvest, 900 positions on the harvest trail website I'm not 100% sure if falls in with positions to qualify for the 2nd year visa, some of the jobs are weigh bridge operators etc.....which may or may not fall into "immediate processing of plant produce". I'm starting mine next week on an oyster farm down south all going well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

If your in Tassie and have family there I reckon you should exploit these contacts, maybe not exploit, utilize these contacts. I'm pretty sure all of Tassie is classed as rural. Surely you family would know a builder/farmer/honey keeper that would take you on even for very little pay it would be guaranteed work without 1000's of backpackers competing for jobs in working hostel regions. Do not believe stories you were told about farming being a chance to make 1000's of dollars its very very rare this happens and I recommend starting in tassie. Its gonna start getting warmer over the next few months and tassie is quiet a beautiful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

Soory to gatecrash your post, attempted to post new thread but cant seem to work out how!!! Myself and my boyfriend arrived in Sydney Thursday and we are in the process of looking for shared accommodation in Eastern Suberbs or even Rosebery area (anywhere near a train line!!), anyone have any advice on where to look, apart from Domain and Gumtree as these are proving unsuccessful!!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

*Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

louise1985 wrote: »
    Soory to gatecrash your post, attempted to post new thread but cant seem to work out how!!! Myself and my boyfriend arrived in Sydney Thursday and we are in the process of looking for shared accommodation in Eastern Suberbs or even Rosebery area (anywhere near a train line!!), anyone have any advice on where to look, apart from Domain and Gumtree as these are proving unsuccessful!!! Thanks

If you're looking for a train line then forget the eastern suburbs unless you live near Bondi Junction. Don't fall into the "Thats where all the Irish go!" trap too easily.

Dullwich Hill/Summer Hill/Petersham/Sydenham/St Peters in the inner west will have cheaper rents (you might get a whole house for what you'd pay for a room in the eastern burbs). Marrickville is close too but no real close connection to trains. Plenty of buses and still close to everything. Tempe & Wolli Creek are a bit further out and prob not as nice to live in.

Newtown/Enmore are good areas but pretty hip/popular with lots going on and close to the Uni so rents are more expensive there. Alexandria and Erskinville are really nice areas if you can find something there (nobody ever moves from Erskinville!) and can be pricey. Redfern can be hit and miss. It's got some dogdey areas but really close to a good train station to go anywhere. It's close to the city too so rents can be expensive.

Strathfield, even though its further out is a train hub and not far to go to the city.

Advertisement